Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gx345 PTO oil leak? Help

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-22-2016 @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks

Gx345 PTO oil leak? Help

Hi guys. I have a 2004 GX345 with a Briggs and Stratton 724cc 27hp motor. There seems to be a significant oil leak from where the motor meets the PTO. I'm assuming there's probably an oil seal of some kind there. Has anybody had any experience replacing that seal? Or otherwise repairing this leak? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:37 AM
    Thanks
    Since the GX345 should have a Kawasaki FD611V 20 hp engine, this must be a repower? Anyways, probably your crank case seal is leaking. You have to pull off the pulleys using a puller and then you should be able to get to the oil seal.
    HemiHero1 likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    Since the GX345 should have a Kawasaki FD611V 20 hp engine, this must be a repower? Anyways, probably your crank case seal is leaking. You have to pull off the pulleys using a puller and then you should be able to get to the oil seal.
    And you may have to pull the engine and split the case to replace it.I would see if you can find a breakdown of the engine.
    HemiHero1 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TJR345 For This Useful Post:

HemiHero1 (03-15-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yessir it is. The Kawasaki ended up dying on us and it was recommended that we replace it with the air cooled B&S. In hindsight I'm not sure how good of an idea that really was haha! Thanks for the reply. So it's probably a crankshaft seal? How horrible is that to replace? I have quite a bit of experience with cars but I'm new to tractors!

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    And you may have to pull the engine and split the case to replace it.I would see if you can find a breakdown of the engine.
    Oh boy.. Well I'll definitely have to do some homework!

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiHero1 View Post
    Yessir it is. The Kawasaki ended up dying on us and it was recommended that we replace it with the air cooled B&S. In hindsight I'm not sure how good of an idea that really was haha! Thanks for the reply. So it's probably a crankshaft seal? How horrible is that to replace? I have quite a bit of experience with cars but I'm new to tractors!

You can do it if you try.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

HemiHero1 (03-16-2016)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    You can do it if you try.
    How difficult is it to pull one of these motors? If I remove the hood ghouls I be able to get access to everything I need to disconnect? Sorry for all the questions here haha

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    Typically, remove the mower deck, PTO clutch & traction drive pulley from crankshaft, disconnect headlight wires, remove hood assembly, disconnect choke/throttle cable, disconnect and plug fuel line, mark with tape and disconnect wiring connectors to engine and starter, probably 4 bolts from engine base mounting.
    Much easier than most cars you may have worked on. You should be able to lift the engine right out, but if you have a hoist or helper, do it the easy way. Save your back!
    You might be able to remove and replace the seal without splitting the case. You can decide when the engine is safely on the bench.
    How long has this engine been in the tractor? Was it new or used when installed? Briggs Vanguard, Intec, or other?

tommyhawk
    Last edited by tommyhawk; 03-16-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    TJR345 and HemiHero1 like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tommyhawk For This Useful Post:

HemiHero1 (03-16-2016)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    No need to remove engine just for a crank seal. Remove deck. Remove PTO clutch. Take tension off of traction drive belt and remove pulley. Seal is right there. Just like removing one on an old school small block Chevy. Before removing, make a mental note as the depth of the seal in the housing. Tap in new seal.. Clean her up. Start, run and check.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    HemiHero1 likes this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

HemiHero1 (03-16-2016)

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    Typically, remove the mower deck, PTO clutch & traction drive pulley from crankshaft, disconnect headlight wires, remove hood assembly, disconnect choke/throttle cable, disconnect and plug fuel line, mark with tape and disconnect wiring connectors to engine and starter, probably 4 bolts from engine base mounting.
    Much easier than most cars you may have worked on. You should be able to lift the engine right out, but if you have a hoist or helper, do it the easy way. Save your back!
    You might be able to remove and replace the seal without splitting the case. You can decide when the engine is safely on the bench.
    How long has this engine been in the tractor? Was it new or used when installed? Briggs Vanguard, Intec, or other?

tommyhawk
    Thanks! I've got the motor out and on the bench. Just waiting for the seal to arrive in the mail. The motor only has about 10 hours on it. It looks like it's the crank seal that's leaking. Lots of oil and gunk all,around the area.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast