Best Blades for use with Power Flow Bagger?

Thread: Best Blades for use with Power Flow Bagger?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-04-2016 @ 12:23 PM
    Thanks

Best Blades for use with Power Flow Bagger?

Hello;

As the title suggests, what are the best blades for use with Power Flow Bagger on a 48c mower deck?

I did a search of the site but couldn't get a consensus and actually found conflicting information. (Welcome to the internets!)

I'm new to the forum but I promise not to ask what you think is the best motor oil to use...

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Now it has been 18 years since I had a powerflow set up, so forgive me if I am mistaken. My recollection of reading the manual was that standard blades ( which worked great for me) or for increased performance high lift blades, which will sap more horsepower than high lift. Now there is available "gator blades" which look like they have tremendous lift and chopping action that reduces debris to tiny pieces, but also look like they would require even more horsepower than high lift. Truthfully the standard blades worked so well for me that I never even tried any other style.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

Hooverville (03-22-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    I have a '16 X580 with a power flow and it seems to do a good job collecting the clippings with the standard style blades as they are made to help with discharge .
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

6. The Following User Says Thank You to romcjr For This Useful Post:

Hooverville (03-22-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-04-2016 @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    I asked that same question in here and at the JD parts counter. Standard High lift blade was all referred to me and that is what I stuck with.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Thanks
    On my 345 I started with standard blades but got better results with high lift.The x595 will be a test since I have gators and just getting a PF put together.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    I have used the standard lift and Gator Blades with the Powerflow on my X585. They both work well.

On my Z950R, I have high lift blades right now. This is a different machine and Powerflow system but I was surprise how much the engine would bog down however even though the leaves were wet they were completely shredded which the X585 won't do unless they are dry. I need to get a set or two of the Gator Blades for the new machine.

The odd thing is that I have been through the manual for the collection system and it just says to use the proper blades for the type of work being done but doesn't say if the correct type are Low, Mid or High Lift. In talking with the dealer they don't seem to have an answer. Next week I am going to stop by and talk to their blade guy and see what he has to say. The sales guy said if he isn't sure that they will open a case with JD to get clarification on this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-25-2016 @ 06:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I have used the standard lift and Gator Blades with the Powerflow on my X585. They both work well.

On my Z950R, I have high lift blades right now. This is a different machine and Powerflow system but I was surprise how much the engine would bog down however even though the leaves were wet they were completely shredded which the X585 won't do unless they are dry. I need to get a set or two of the Gator Blades for the new machine.

The odd thing is that I have been through the manual for the collection system and it just says to use the proper blades for the type of work being done but doesn't say if the correct type are Low, Mid or High Lift. In talking with the dealer they don't seem to have an answer. Next week I am going to stop by and talk to their blade guy and see what he has to say. The sales guy said if he isn't sure that they will open a case with JD to get clarification on this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Do keep us posted..... very curious about this..

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    GX335/48C here: Have used both original equipment blades and Gator mulching blades with good results. Disclaimer: I don't have a "Class A Lawn" though. Both work well with a bagger, but I like the Gators for the finer clippings they produce (more clippings per bag/less down time for emptying).
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bondservant2 View Post
    Do keep us posted..... very curious about this..
    Well haven't gotten much of an answer yet.

I stopped by on Tuesday after work. The guy I was directed to had left for the day. Stopped back yesterday and same thing so the other parts guys helped me out.

For the Z950R the only blade they could find as the "recommended" blade for a Z950R is the high lift. However they agreed that with a collection system that I shouldn't need a high lift blade and it would probably bog down more with it. Though it may mean that the clippings and leaves are shredded more which may mean less trips to dump. They basically said to try a standard lift but it isn't documented.

As for the bogging down. The first comment was if they were wet. I explained they were damp. The leaves are stuff that blew up against the buildings. I went around with my backpack blower, pushed the leaves away from the building so they were dry enough to be moved with that method. Then I went around and picked up the leaves. It wasn't a lot of leaves as the majority had been picked up in the fall. This is just the stuff that fell late in the fall/winter after I put the collection system away on my X585 for the winter and switched over to snow removal. I said I pick up leaves like this on my X585 all the time without bogging but it also puts the leaves in the cart almost whole where these were shredded pretty fine even though they were damp. Only way I could get them chopped that fine with the X585 is if they were totally dry and then everything just turns to dust.

In the end I went out the door with a set of Predator2 blades. Once the grass starts growing around here I will do a couple sessions (side discharge not collecting the clippings) with the High lift then a couple with the Predator2 blades and see what I like better. Might have to do some experimentation this fall as well.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    You can't go wrong with standard Deere high-lifts. I use them with my PF system and it works fine.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements