Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Soft Cab Lights?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks

Soft Cab Lights?

I have a JD X739 and use a soft cab in the winter when blowing snow. I like that I can take the cab off in the summer months while mowing to get under tree's etc.

My question is has anyone ever put lights on their soft cab, most of the time while blowing snow I do so in the early morning hours or at night, hardly during the day. I have thought about maybe a light bar across the top but might be too heavy, maybe a couple of each corner of the cab.

I would be interested to see what people have done? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexjrob View Post
    I have a JD X739 and use a soft cab in the winter when blowing snow. I like that I can take the cab off in the summer months while mowing to get under tree's etc.

My question is has anyone ever put lights on their soft cab, most of the time while blowing snow I do so in the early morning hours or at night, hardly during the day. I have thought about maybe a light bar across the top but might be too heavy, maybe a couple of each corner of the cab.

I would be interested to see what people have done? TIA
    Very good question about the lights. One of the major things I noticed about using my tractor for snow removal is that 90% of the time, I am operating in the dark and having lights HIGHER that the hood based headlights are critical for "wide and near vision".

I took a piece of aluminum strap which I bought at the local True Value Hardware, 1" wide and about 1/8th" thick and I bent it in a shape which is flat across the mounting surface and then I essentially bent a "L" shape on each end to provide an elevated mounting surface on which to mount the lights. This way the mounting bolts for the lights won't be against the surface when the strap is mounted. The "L"s give the strap elevation to provide the clearance for the lights actual mounting onto the strap. So when I was done the bracket looked like opposing "L"s on each end and the strap connected the tops of the "L". Unfortunately, I can't get a picture of it right now or I would post it. I wanted the strap width to take advantage of two existing bolts on the front of my tractor so that when I mounted it, it was not requiring me to drill any new holes for the mounting bar. Use that idea of using existing bolts, etc. as a guide when looking for a place to mount your lights.

I used the bottom of each "L" as the mounting point for the light bar. I mounted two LED lights on the strap, which is about 18" wide across the top. I spaced the lights so they are an equal distance from each end and from one another. I drilled mounting holes in the strap for the lights and in the bottom of the opposing "L"s for the bottom holes on each end to serve as the mounting to the tractor. With the lights installed, I bet the entire bar doesn't weigh more than 2 pounds as the lights are very light and the flat aluminum strap is only 1/2 pound at the most. The lights do not vibrate and the strap holds them securely, Plus, I found that I needed to point my lights left and right because much of their light overlapped in the center. Now, when you look down upon the mounting strap, the lights are in a "V" facing to their respective sides.

The thicker the strap the more sturdy the light bar will be, but even the one I built holds the lights just fine. You don't want material which you could bend by hand or the lights will vibrate when your using your tractor. I bent the metal straps in a vise after scrolling the bending marks on them with a scroll. I mounted the strap with it's scroll mark on the end of the vise and used a ball peen hammer to bend it. The bends came out very smooth and crisp, using the holding power of the vise to pound against.

Something Like I described could be fabricated to mount to the corners of the cab where the vertical supports are located. How you attach it would depend upon the diameter of the support bars, etc. Definitely make sure the lights you consider have a very wide working light illustration area nearby as opposed to a narrow focused spot light beam as you will want as much light as possible both forward and behind you. I have two lights in addition to the headlights facing forward and one facing behind me. The LED lights draw low amps which make adding them to your tractor very easy, but still put an in line fuse in their power source to protect the rest of the system.

Another reason I chose to use this type of mounting system is that I remove the lights when I am done plowing snow. I even spliced my lights into the existing headlight harness so the headlight switch turns on all forward facing lights. Be careful about doing this because of the power draw of the lights plus some people are reluctant about cutting into factory wiring harnesses, which is certainly understandable.

I did make a separate wiring harness with a dash mounted switch for the rear lights which include a yellow flashing safety light like used on the state highway plow trucks. I am in the roadway in our private development often going between drives and I am usually out in the dark, often when it is heavily snowing, so I wanted vehicles to be able to easily see me. With the flashing light and the rear facing light, I wanted them on their own switch so I can turn them off when desired but still have all of the headlights and forward facing lights.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 03-23-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added correction
    LoneStranger likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    Wow, I would love to see some pictures when you have a chance. This does give some good ideas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements