• 1 Post By TJR345
  • 2 Post By farmall400

Thread: LP3301 broadcast spreader

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks

LP3301 broadcast spreader

I have a x758 and I was thinking about getting one of these. Does anyone have one and how do you like it? I was also looking at the frontier ss1022b tow behind but it is a little pricey for something that I'm not going to use all that often. My concern with the mounted unit is it seems a little small. I looked at some of the other pull behinds and I'm not sure how stable they are. My yard is hilly with a bunch of obstacles. I don't have the pto or 3 pt hitch on this tractor so my options are limited but am leaning towards a mounted unit.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    Do you have pics or a link to what you're talking about.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Do you have pics or a link to what you're talking about.
    Yeah, sorry here is a pic of the mounted one I'm interested in. It mounts on the click and go brackets on the 700 series.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    The JD spreader would look great on your rig. Does it have a stop / deflector on the back or does it throw product into the back of the tractor?
    -Lou

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    The JD spreader would look great on your rig. Does it have a stop / deflector on the back or does it throw product into the back of the tractor?
    -Lou
    Yes for an additional $65 you can get a barrier shield. lol. Here is a link to the page in the john deere catalog with the other spreaders also.

John Deere

Mike
    BigJim55 and gbnpp05 like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Even with a barrier shield I would still be concerned about fertilizer and dust getting in the tractor's nooks and cranny's, add moisture and you have rust. And with some of the pull behinds that can be a problem also if they don't have a good deflector.

Hopefully someone here has used that model and can tell you for sure the barrier actually works.

I was worried enough about getting fertilizer in my X739 that I went with a decent walk behind since my yard isn't big and I only do it once or twice a year.
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    I have a tow behind and let me tell you fertilizer must have a rubber coating on it because it bounces all over the place. It ends up on the seat from my back on the footrest,and if you drive close to the shed and bounce it off of there it will end up somewhere besides in the grass. A shield helps but it still travels to parts unknown.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have the JD 175 lb tow behind spreader (LP31341) used mainly for salt. 3 problems with it right from the start. 1. It would jam & not drop material onto the spinner. Towing it with my old L108 the hitch went downhill toward the draw bar. Now towing it with my new X540 the hitch & hopper are level with the ground. Just having it run level took care of the jamming problem.
    2. It will spray material out 360 degrees. Yes it will get all over the tractor. A lot of salt also ended up in the yards. To fix this I put a 2' piece of rubber mat on the front of the spreader. That's all it took to fix both problems.
    3. The agitator wire will brake off every time I back up with the unit. No fix other than not backing up. I seen a newer unit at the dealer that had a different style wire. Hopefully this fixed the problem.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,219 Posts
    When I was shopping for a spreader I had considered the model that mounted on the back of the tractor like shown. I received numerous reports from owners stating that it was prone to throwing material into the back of the tractor. It was worse than a tow-behind because the unit is mounting directly to the tractor. The shield that JD sells is only to limit the spread for use with sidewalks, it does not shield the back of the tractor.

I ended up going with a tow-behind.

It's a shame because the mounted unit would be so much more maneuverable and easier to store.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Just a quick update. After another week of not being able to decide on which spreader to buy I finally ordered a tow behind tonight. I ended up getting a Spyker stainless steel 175 pound capacity tow behind. I was all set to get the cheaper powder coated version but at the last second clicked on the stainless unit. Hopefully it's as good as the reviews I read.

Spyker Pro Series Spreaders | 175 lb. Tow-Behind Commercial

pcabe5 and BigJim55 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements