Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: 1025R 60D vs Smaller Lawn Tractor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks

1025R 60D vs Smaller Lawn Tractor

I am e4xtremely disappointed with the performance of my 1025R and 60D mower on my front lawn. The ground is sloped in every direction, rough with many divots, and there are a couple of low running areas that carry rainwater away from the downspouts. The 60D cuts unevenly being lower on the downhill slope by 1/2-3/4". I also get a little scalping.

My question is, will a smaller, say a 42" D-Series, help with my problem or will it have the same issues?

My 21" Honda push mower does a wonderful job, but after using a 60" swath, the 21" by hand has become excruciating. Yes I have become lazy....
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FredHickory View Post
    I am e4xtremely disappointed with the performance of my 1025R and 60D mower on my front lawn. The ground is sloped in every direction, rough with many divots, and there are a couple of low running areas that carry rainwater away from the downspouts. The 60D cuts unevenly being lower on the downhill slope by 1/2-3/4". I also get a little scalping.

My question is, will a smaller, say a 42" D-Series, help with my problem or will it have the same issues?

My 21" Honda push mower does a wonderful job, but after using a 60" swath, the 21" by hand has become excruciating. Yes I have become lazy....

I think you answered your own question Fred. Without a doubt you're going to get a better cut with a 21" mower since it addresses a smaller footprint each pass on your property. A 54" mower deck would do a better job than your 60" for that matter. Because of the nature of the property you described I would think you have a golden opportunity for some additional seat time this fall. Before re seeding, if it were me, I would get some top soil and level those uneven areas, if possible, seed and enjoy that 60 inch deck next season...it's not like you don't have the tools for it! Good luck Bud and be sure to share the project pics if you decide to go that way!

-Lou
    RandyM, Gizmo2, ColonyPark and 6 others like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneStranger For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2(04-04-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 PM
    Thanks
    Short answer is yes. A narrower deck will pretty much always cut an uneven lawn better than a wider deck. The 60" and 72" decks are great for smooth and flat lawns but if you get into the uneven stuff your likely hood of uneven cuts and scalping goes up. You can cut at a higher HOC to prevent some of the scalping but it won't necessarily help with the uneven cut.

Kind of have a couple options. Live with the cut of the 60" and maybe go with a higher cut. Work on evening out the divots and low areas to get a smoother lawn which will help but may not eliminate all the issues. Or get a smaller deck which means a smaller machine dedicated to mowing.

If it were me I would start with the first two. Try the simplest and least expensive option first.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 3 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FredHickory View Post

There have been allot of guys that have had issues with their 60D decks. I have one, rechecked all the adjustments step by step from the manual and mine cuts fine. One thing you do have to watch. These decks do not lift very high when full raised. I found you must drop the gauge wheels all that way down and then adjust your deck height so the wheels do not touch the ground. It is easy to get these decks too low.
    Gizmo2, Levi, FredHickory and 3 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Another possibility is to lower the gauge wheels on the mower deck further. I know that the book says to avoid putting the weight of the mower on the wheels. However, worst case, you wear out the wheels earlier.
    My dad runs his mower deck wheels on the ground, knowing that he will eventually have to replace them.
    This seems to help with the scalping.
    rtgt, Levi, FredHickory and 2 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timmarks View Post
    Another possibility is to lower the gauge wheels on the mower deck further. I know that the book says to avoid putting the weight of the mower on the wheels. However, worst case, you wear out the wheels earlier.
    My dad runs his mower deck wheels on the ground, knowing that he will eventually have to replace them.
    This seems to help with the scalping.
    My views on mower decks:
    A "floating" deck is perfect for level ground
    Scalping has nothing to do with the width of the mower
    Contact gauge wheels are necessary on slopes.

I progressed from 42" to 60" to 72" cut decks over a 20 year period of mowing.

The end result of my experience is that the 72" deck scalps the least.

The deck does have 4 perfectly positioned full contact gauge wheels,,,

I do not have a flat spot on my property,,,
    and I have not "upgraded" to a JD mower because I refuse to deal with another floating deck.

Got Slopes??

RandyM, ColonyPark, Levi and 3 others like this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

FredHickory(04-04-2016)

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,580 Posts
    I owned a 60" deck for apx 18 mo., worst experience I have ever had . I always had 54" and thought it would be better and quicker. ON level 60" does a great job not on a slope.

Between me and the shop foreman , lower the gauge wheels to within 1/8" or less to the ground. mower will do OK

Yes a 42 will do a very nice job, then a little less with a 48 then to a 54" A 54 for me has always mowed very nice.

Wish you luck
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    The deck will float from side to side when mowing on slopes. The deck will shift up to 1" to the downhill side depending on the model. This shift causes the downhill side to mow lower than the uphill side causing the unevenness you're describing. This shift can be minimized by shimming the draft arms at the chassis brackets with washers. You can also drill and pin the front draft bracket to reduce side to side deck shifting. Use a 3/16" spring hitch pin through the draft arm to limit side to side shifting of the deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    The deck will float from side to side when mowing on slopes. The deck will shift up to 1" to the downhill side depending on the model. This shift causes the downhill side to mow lower than the uphill side causing the unevenness you're describing. This shift can be minimized by shimming the draft arms at the chassis brackets with washers. You can also drill and pin the front draft bracket to reduce side to side deck shifting. Use a 3/16" spring hitch pin through the draft arm to limit side to side shifting of the deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I had my 60" Deere, had the shop foreman replace the front lift arms PINS with Nut and Bolt with a washer to help minimized .. May have helped a very little bit. Wasn't enough to satisfy me or the shop foreman.
    Anyone can try , but nothing seemed to help ! except for lowering the gauge wheels so they either touched a level surface or having them no more than a 1/4" off the surface.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 04:24 AM
    Thanks
    I have tried "super" lowering my wheels using the retention pin hole. This has just caused gouging by the wheels. There is not enough float left on the 1025R when cutting at the higher levels.

I think I'll skip the lawn tractor. I will probably have the same issues, though probably better, with the larger floating deck. I'll just chalk the push mower up to needing the exercise....

The comments on getting the yard leveled out are good ones. Going to have to see what it will take. Thanks.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R w/rear light kit, 49" H120 FEL, 12" 260 BH, 60D MMM, 2048 Rotary Cutter, BB5048L Box Blade, 50# wheel weights, 4x42#suitcase weights, 5' TSC Landscape rack, TSC modified Carry-All, 42" Titan Pallet Forks, Heavy Hitch Toothbar

D130 JD Lawn Tractor, Polaris Ranger 400, 18' Gator Made Lowboy Trailer,

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast