She won't run on her own fuel (works with ether)
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By psrumors
  • 1 Post By areoseek
  • 2 Post By Old Cajun
  • 2 Post By psrumors
  • 3 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 2 Post By Gizmo2
  • 1 Post By Old Cajun

Thread: She won't run on her own fuel (works with ether)

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    04-06-2016 @ 11:21 PM
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    She won't run on her own fuel (works with ether)

    I just aquired a john deere lx172 in a trade, With a 14hp kawasaki engine.
    I bought it not-running, the P/o told me it was the fuel pump.

    Lo and behold it is NOT the fuel pump, I believe it is related to the carb. The engine will run on starting fluid just fine.
    Changed the fuel filter, Blew out the lines, drained the old gas and put new ethanol free in, also took apart the carb and cleaned out the needle seat in the float bowl, then I soaked it all in parts cleaner.
    There is an electrical connection on the bowl of the carb, and I'm not sure if that's holding me up. I took a video so y'all can see what she's doing. I appreciate any help at all, thanks!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZkETVNWDWw

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Location
    Cartersville (NW) GA
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 365 Times in 267 Posts
    The wire to the bottom of the carb is feeding a fuel shut off solenoid. If the fuel pump is pumping the solenoid is what I would test next. You should be able to remove it and use a 9v battery to test. One lead from the 9v battery will go to the connector, the other lead to the body of the solenoid. If the plunger doesn't move, you have found at least one problem.
    johnH123 likes this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

    Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

    Stihl MS361, FS250R

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 201 Times in 195 Posts
    Checking the fuel output like that will burn your house down really quick.
    You said something about the key/ignition switch not working. Check if you have power going to the the fuel shut off selonoid. It keeps the engine from backfiring when turning it off. You probably just need a new ignition switch.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    04-06-2016 @ 11:21 PM
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Checking the fuel output like that will burn your house down really quick.
    You said something about the key/ignition switch not working. Check if you have power going to the the fuel shut off solenoid. It keeps the engine from backfiring when turning it off. You probably just need a new ignition switch.

    Not the best idea in the moment, but it got the point across.

    Following your advice, I wired the solenoid up to a switch. When I apply 12v, I can hear it engage. I can see it as well.

    However, even with constant 12v applied, She still wont run off her own fuel. I suspect perhaps the fuel pump doesnt have enough pressure to push the fuel through the carb. I'm going to pick one up friday morning at the lawn and garden store, and I will report back with results.
    BigJim55 likes this.

  7. Top | #5
    Old Pa-pa Old Cajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    10,891
    Thanks
    780
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by areoseek View Post
    I just aquired a john deere lx172 in a trade, With a 14hp kawasaki engine.
    I bought it not-running, the P/o told me it was the fuel pump.

    Lo and behold it is NOT the fuel pump, I believe it is related to the carb. The engine will run on starting fluid just fine.
    Changed the fuel filter, Blew out the lines, drained the old gas and put new ethanol free in, also took apart the carb and cleaned out the needle seat in the float bowl, then I soaked it all in parts cleaner.
    There is an electrical connection on the bowl of the carb, and I'm not sure if that's holding me up. I took a video so y'all can see what she's doing. I appreciate any help at all, thanks!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZkETVNWDWw
    If it's like a Briggs carburetor on my 14.5 hp or several other engines I have seen, the float needle valve and the fuel shutoff valve
    are not the only things.
    There should be a brass tube in the center of the carb that carries the metered fuel into the Venturi effect section of the carb.
    Since you have that electric fuel shut off valve, that would mean you have no adjustable high speed jet like the good old days.
    There should be a fixed high speed jet near the bottom or at the bottom of the tube going up into the carb.

    This is a very small hole easily plugged by trash or varnish.
    On my Briggs it's a little fitting that screws into the side, at the bottom of the brass tube, very delicate with a very fine hole.
    In some engines it's part of the seat where the fuel shutoff valve fits.

    Have seen this fixed jet cause trouble on several friends engines.
    Have had to use very fine torch tip cleaners to clean them, very delicate, just clean and do not increase the size
    of the opening.
    Sometimes a piece of monofilament fishing line will clean them out, sometimes something a little more stout is required,
    just don't enlarge the hole diameter.

    Without the fixed jet open you ain't going to get any fuel into the Venturi effect section where the fuel/air mixture happens.
    Last edited by Old Cajun; 04-07-2016 at 01:54 AM.
    BigJim55 and gbnpp05 like this.
    Neil

    2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

  8. Top | #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Location
    Cartersville (NW) GA
    Posts
    2,379
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 365 Times in 267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by areoseek View Post
    Not the best idea in the moment, but it got the point across.

    Following your advice, I wired the solenoid up to a switch. When I apply 12v, I can hear it engage. I can see it as well.

    However, even with constant 12v applied, She still wont run off her own fuel. I suspect perhaps the fuel pump doesnt have enough pressure to push the fuel through the carb. I'm going to pick one up friday morning at the lawn and garden store, and I will report back with results.
    Based on your video I don't believe you have a bad pump, it appeared to pump fuel pretty good.

    I'd go back to checking the carb
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

    Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

    Stihl MS361, FS250R

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    3,228
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 201 Times in 195 Posts
    Some times the carb is just shot. No amount of cleaning & gaskets will save it. I have even seen the "rebuild" caused the carbs final demise.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and gbnpp05 like this.

  10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    34,191
    Thanks
    5,769
    Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Based on your video I don't believe you have a bad pump, it appeared to pump fuel pretty good.

    I'd go back to checking the carb
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Some times the carb is just shot. No amount of cleaning & gaskets will save it. I have even seen the "rebuild" caused the carbs final demise.
    I have to agree.
    BigJim55 and Old Cajun like this.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  11. Top | #9
    Old Pa-pa Old Cajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    10,891
    Thanks
    780
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I have to agree.
    Come on Gizmo, where's your spirit of adventure and "can do" attitude?
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Neil

    2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

  12. Top | #10
    mackguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 11:14 PM
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Just be in for some sticker shock when you see the price for these carbs..
    Just had to put a new one on my LX176 (same engine).. $185 for the carb which does NOT include new gaskets.

    Seeing the Honda carbs on Ebay for $25 had me thinking real hard about trying to adapt one, but decided to do it right.
    1993 LX176 - 3rd generation family ownership

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts