LX176 Front Axle Spndle

Thread: LX176 Front Axle Spndle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:56 PM
    Thanks

LX176 Front Axle Spndle

To remove the spindle from the front axle you remove the snap ring and push or hammer it out from axle?
    While doing some maintenance I notice I could not grease the spindles, tried changing out the zert but didn't work.
    I guess it has some old hard grease packed in there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Thanks
    Man00,

I had a LX172 that passed through my herd that was on the coast for much of its life -- you could barely steer it at all. I did succeed in driving the spindles out and then used some very fine Emory cloth to polish up the bearing surface. Even had to take a pass or two on the inside of the bushing in the axle... Be sure to use an appropriately diameter drive to drive it out so as not to damage or mushroom the end.

I also struggled mightily to remove the rear wheel so I could service/rebuild the brake assembly due to that same level of corrosion. Really drove home the need for owners in coastal climates to keep things properly lubricated and to use anti-seize on the keyed axles.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 04-10-2016 at 11:00 PM.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:56 PM
    Thanks
    Fooled around with today, sprayed some WD-40 after removing zert used a pick to clean some of the crud out. Got it to take some grease until it came out of the top of axle and the bottom of the other spindle. Better than no grease, think I'll run it for a while and add some more grease again later.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements