L118 Fuel Shut-off Solenoid

Thread: L118 Fuel Shut-off Solenoid

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-15-2016 @ 06:12 PM
    Thanks

L118 Fuel Shut-off Solenoid

So my L118 was doing great, and all of sudden the engine stopped, and white smoke started coming from the front of the engine. I jumped off, flipped the hood, and it smoke was rolling. I hit the ignition, and could see the plastic was melted and smoke was coming from the fuel shut-off solenoid on the bottom of the carb. I have a couple issues:

1) What causes the solenoid to blow like that? Would it just short out?

2) Where in the hell can you get one? I have searched and scoured the internet, and all i can find is a used carb with the solenoid already mounted on it, and even it doesn't completely match all the numbers.

The engine is a Briggs and Stratton, model is 406777. Type 0139-E1. Code 01326YC.
    The carb is a Nikki, with these numbers stamped on it: 698494 266 4211-571.

All the solenoid i have found thread into the bottom of the bowl, but mine has a nut on the inside of the bowl that threads onto the solenoid. Also, the wires connect at 90 degrees, instead of into the bottom like all the solenoids i have found.

Does anybody know of a carb that will work, or a solenoid that will work? I am dead in the water.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-12-2016 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    I think you want John Deere p/n AM134099.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-15-2016 @ 06:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks Jimaness! The part pictured on Greenpartstore.com looks like mine, although my carburetor is not listed. I will pull the trigger and give it a shot. Any ideas why this could have happened? Just a short within the solenoid?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-12-2016 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    I have had them gum up after sitting a long time in old fuel, but I never had one actually smoke. I would suspect a shorted solenoid, but I would have hoped there was a fuse inline somewhere to prevent this. The solenoid is used to stop fuel flow when the switch is turned off to prevent any backfire issues. You might try removing the bowl and use a bolt onto the nut to plug the hole and reinstall the bowl to see that the motor will still start. Good luck.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements