Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: x758 Oil Pressure Light

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-29-2018 @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks

x758 Oil Pressure Light

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some help. I have a 2013 x758 with 229 hours on it and a brand new 60 HC deck. I bought it used and mowed with it for the first time last night. I noticed that the Oil Pressure warning light would come on occasionally and then go off. I seemed to notice it most when on an incline or bouncing around in a rough area. It may stay on for a second and go off or several seconds and go off. It never stayed on. There was zero decline in engine performance however. It runs great.

I have driven it around quite a bit over the last week and this has only happened when running the mower. The oil really looks fine, but it is filled a little above the marks on the stick. Could being a little too full affect this? I have JD oil and a filter to do a change if needed.

I'm also wondering if the oil pressure sender switch could be bad. I did read somewhere online about Yanmars being notorious for this sensor going bad. Where is this located on the engine? And is this something I could replace myself without any special tools?

Thank you in advance for any input or advice.
    Last edited by Big Yellow Wheels; 04-15-2016 at 09:45 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    It is item 18 in the diagram. I would check the wiring before replacing the switch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oil switch.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	164577

And Welcome to GTT.
    Last edited by RandyM; 04-15-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    etcallhome likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Based on what I described, am I right to be thinking that it may be something with the switch or wiring?

Is the oil being a little overfull enough of a concern to change it out?

I'm no mechanic, but I can generally do basic maintenance. This type of engine is new to me though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Yellow Wheels View Post
    Based on what I described, am I right to be thinking that it may be something with the switch or wiring?

Is the oil being a little overfull enough of a concern to change it out?

I'm no mechanic, but I can generally do basic maintenance. This type of engine is new to me though.
    At this point it could be anything. It is the switch, wiring, pump, or filter. When was the last time you change the oil filter? I am thinking that it should have a bypass valve though. All will need to be investigated and ruled out. I personally would start with the wiring and then the switch. I don't think over fill would yield any pressure issues.
    Last edited by RandyM; 04-21-2016 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    I would start at the pressure switch. You may have a lose wire terminal. Start there first. If the wire is grounding someplace, that will cause the same problem. Like if the wire wore through the insulation somewhere. The oil pressure switch works by going to ground when there is no pressure. With the engine running, you should be able to take the wire off the switch, ground the wire, will not hurt anything, and the light should stay on as long as you have it grounded. A bad switch will do the same. I would go with the wire first. Should you not find anything on the wire side, I would find someone that has an oil pressure gauge, check the actual engine oil pressure. This eliminates the oil pressure problem. Then most likely it is a switch. Or, eliminate the switch and install an oil pressure gauge and get rid of the "Idiot Light".
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    I would start at the pressure switch. You may have a lose wire terminal. Start there first. If the wire is grounding someplace, that will cause the same problem. Like if the wire wore through the insulation somewhere. The oil pressure switch works by going to ground when there is no pressure. With the engine running, you should be able to take the wire off the switch, ground the wire, will not hurt anything, and the light should stay on as long as you have it grounded. A bad switch will do the same. I would go with the wire first. Should you not find anything on the wire side, I would find someone that has an oil pressure gauge, check the actual engine oil pressure. This eliminates the oil pressure problem. Then most likely it is a switch. Or, eliminate the switch and install an oil pressure gauge and get rid of the "Idiot Light".
    This may be a silly question, but if it were something wrong with the engine internally I would notice a change in power or performance when the light comes on right? The fact that the engine sounds and performs the same is what is making me think that is is the switch/wire/light. I would think if the oil pressure actually is dropping that the engine performance would change.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, so I checked the wiring first as you both suggested and I believe it is ok. I disconnected the wire from the sender switch while running and grounded it. If I kept it grounded, the light would stay on. So I replaced the sender switch. It was a $20 part, so worth a shot.

I mowed last night and for the first 30 minutes or so all was good. But then after that, the oil pressure light started to come on and off again.

So I changed the oil and filter last night and we will see if that makes a difference.
    johnH123 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks
    A 2013 should still be covered under the 4 year warranty.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eric102 View Post
    A 2013 should still be covered under the 4 year warranty.
    There is no warranty remaining on this one. How I acquired this machine was from a JD Dealer across the street from one of the JD forestry division plants. JD uses x700s in their factories for pulling around tool carts, tour carts, etc and then they send them to a local dealer to prepare for auction. Some the dealer keeps. But JD does not warranty any of the equipment they have used internally and then sell. It was never in the dirt or had anything hooked to it except carts. Since it was the tractor only, I had the dealer add a brand new 60HC deck and I purchased it all in for about $1200-$1500 less than comparable units cost that were privately owned, but still have about 1 season of warranty.

It had 227 hours on it, so I took a chance figuring on the durability of the yanmar diesel and everything else about the x700s. Plus I figured $1200-$1500 could go a long way toward repairs if something did go wrong. I just hope it doesn't come back and bite me in the butt!

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Yellow Wheels View Post
    Ok, so I checked the wiring first as you both suggested and I believe it is ok. I disconnected the wire from the sender switch while running and grounded it. If I kept it grounded, the light would stay on. So I replaced the sender switch. It was a $20 part, so worth a shot.

I mowed last night and for the first 30 minutes or so all was good. But then after that, the oil pressure light started to come on and off again.

So I changed the oil and filter last night and we will see if that makes a difference.
    Sounds like you need to get a oil pressure gauge and actually see what is going on inside the engine. That would solve this problem.
    Doug and johnH123 like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast