• 1 Post By ironpony

Thread: Cant get flywheel off Deere L118

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks

Cant get flywheel off Deere L118

Hi everyone,
    I need to replace the stator in my Deere L118 but I can't get the flywheel off.
    I got the nut that holds the flywheel down off with an impact gun, I have used a ton of PB Blaster around the keyEd shaft it is mounted on, and I have taken a hammer and banged it with a hammer hoping that the shock would help loosen it up- but it won't budge. My son and I are both trying Ito pry it up with us on opposite sides.
    Suggestions? I have a hrmonic balance puller but it doesn't allow proper alignment of the two screw holes in the flywheel. Ihgave a hand held propane torch to try heating it up but that's it as far as a heating source/tool. I'm not sure that will work.
    Help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctwith3 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I need to replace the stator in my Deere L118 but I can't get the flywheel off.
    I got the nut that holds the flywheel down off with an impact gun, I have used a ton of PB Blaster around the keyEd shaft it is mounted on, and I have taken a hammer and banged it with a hammer hoping that the shock would help loosen it up- but it won't budge. My son and I are both trying Ito pry it up with us on opposite sides.
    Suggestions? I have a hrmonic balance puller but it doesn't allow proper alignment of the two screw holes in the flywheel. Ihgave a hand held propane torch to try heating it up but that's it as far as a heating source/tool. I'm not sure that will work.
    Help!!!
    PLEASE STOP and get the proper flywheel puller. I have ruined a flywheel and crankshaft by tryng to remove said flywheel by makeshift methods.... That said, I have no idea what kind of engine you're dealing with but I assume it has a tapered seat with a keyway for the flywheel.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    04-16-2016 @ 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrmn View Post
    PLEASE STOP and get the proper flywheel puller. I have ruined a flywheel and crankshaft by tryng to remove said flywheel by makeshift methods.... That said, I have no idea what kind of engine you're dealing with but I assume it has a tapered seat with a keyway for the flywheel.
    My tractor has the 22hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I haven't needed a puller since I rebuilt my mustang back in 1980 so a harmonic balance puller is all I have. What puller do you recommend?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctwith3 View Post
    My tractor has the 22hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I haven't needed a puller since I rebuilt my mustang back in 1980 so a harmonic balance puller is all I have. What puller do you recommend?
    https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...wheel-key.html

http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratto.../dp/B005F6PT2S

Briggs and Stratton 19203 Large Flywheel Puller

briggs and stratton flywheel puller | eBay

page 18 of 40 in this PDF:
    https://www.briggsandstratton.com/co...vice_tools.pdf

The 19203 seems to be the one you need---looks like it could be easily made if you have the stuff laying around. Also search for youtube videos. I ruined a Husqvarna chainsaw trying to get the flywheel off.........

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Any progress with this?

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-12-2019 @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrmn View Post
    https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...wheel-key.html

Amazon.com : Briggs & Stratton 19203 Flywheel Puller : Lawn Mower Tune Up Kits : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Briggs and Stratton 19203 Large Flywheel Puller

briggs and stratton flywheel puller | eBay

page 18 of 40 in this PDF:
    https://www.briggsandstratton.com/co...vice_tools.pdf

The 19203 seems to be the one you need---looks like it could be easily made if you have the stuff laying around. Also search for youtube videos. I ruined a Husqvarna chainsaw trying to get the flywheel off.........

When you remove the flywheel, loosen the nut but leave it on a few threads, when the flywheel "pops" it has a lot of energy and could come off the end of the shaft.
    Install the puller and add tension to it, then tap the end of the puller bolt to shock it, this should pop the flywheel. if not try tapping the flywheel itself.
    mtrmn likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements