2002 LT160 high pitch squeal/scream

Thread: 2002 LT160 high pitch squeal/scream

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-17-2016 @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks

2002 LT160 high pitch squeal/scream

Hey guy, got my lawn tractor out yesterday and getting ready to service it and use it for the summer. I found out that when tractor is idling that i have a high pitch scream or squal going on that changed pitch with RPM. It goes away when i put pressure on the brake pedal but beyond that its always there.

Is this something normal ive just not paid attention to before? Do i need to check fluid in the trans? Have a bearing/pulley going bad?

Hard to locate exactly where the noise is coming from so i figured asking here might help.

Thanks guys
    Zach

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    I would check the belt and the pulleys on the entire engine to transmission system. Chances are you have a bad pulley.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Yep, I agree. You need to remove the mower deck, safely raise and support the front of the tractor 4" or so, (if you are young, skinny, and don't wear glasses, you can skip the raising it up part) and check that the drive belt is not rubbing anything it shouldn't. Then lock the brake pedal down so the belt is no longer under tension. You can turn each idler to see if they feel rough or squeak. Take a good look back to the tranny fan and pulley.

If you have info on how, where, or if the fluid can be checked, please let me know. Looking at JD Parts, I do not see it. Maybe it can't be checked?

tommyhawk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Your transmission is a sealed unit. No way to check the fluid level without removing it from the tractor. I highly doubt your problem is from a low fluid level. My vote would be bad idler pulleys for the drive belt. When you push the brake it slacks tension on the belt stopping the noise. I had the same problem on my old L108.
    This would be a good time to replace the belt.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-17-2016 @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks
    yeah, i know the belt is NOT in very good condition, meant to order one last year and forgot all about it. Will be pacing order for one this week. Will check pullleys as well under there when i replace it.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements