x748 Hydraulic Leak from Transaxle

Thread: x748 Hydraulic Leak from Transaxle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-03-2019 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

x748 Hydraulic Leak from Transaxle

New to the forum and hoping some veterans can help a newbie out.

My Setup
    2010 x748SE 550 Hours
    Reugg 3pt Hitch
    JD45 Loader

Hydraulic fluid and Filter changed in November and has seen about 25 hours of use since. The transaxle is not shimmed as far as I know. AUX hydraulic pressure is 1100psi on all 4 ports.

I added the 45 loader on recently (a month ago) and was not aware I needed the upgraded pressure relief valve. I used it for about 1 hour to break out a small stump. When I parked it I noticed hydraulic fluid coming from the transaxle. I asked the dealer the next day and the dealer did not think I would have done damage with the limited use, but I did tell him that I was pushing a small stump out. I got the relief valve and arm and installed them. I thought all was good, but came out this morning and there was a pile of hydro fluid on the ground under the axle. I put it on ramps to clean it off, and figured out how it is occurring. When I park in the garage, I usually move both hydro levers up and down after I shut the machine off to release the pressure. I did that this morning when I was on the ramps and heard the fluid and air coming out of the vent. I can recreate this when the machine is cold or hot. It does not appear to be overfull, but might have been a little high. That said, it leaked about 2-4 cups of fluid in total.

Any thoughts from the experts? I know the easy answer is to take it to the dealer, but if there is a simple fix (I'm not afraid to work on my stuff) and I can save significant money, I will give it a shot.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 995 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mycornerofthebarn View Post
    New to the forum and hoping some veterans can help a newbie out.

My Setup
    2010 x748SE 550 Hours
    Reugg 3pt Hitch
    JD45 Loader

Hydraulic fluid and Filter changed in November and has seen about 25 hours of use since. The transaxle is not shimmed as far as I know. AUX hydraulic pressure is 1100psi on all 4 ports.

I added the 45 loader on recently (a month ago) and was not aware I needed the upgraded pressure relief valve. I used it for about 1 hour to break out a small stump. When I parked it I noticed hydraulic fluid coming from the transaxle. I asked the dealer the next day and the dealer did not think I would have done damage with the limited use, but I did tell him that I was pushing a small stump out. I got the relief valve and arm and installed them. I thought all was good, but came out this morning and there was a pile of hydro fluid on the ground under the axle. I put it on ramps to clean it off, and figured out how it is occurring. When I park in the garage, I usually move both hydro levers up and down after I shut the machine off to release the pressure. I did that this morning when I was on the ramps and heard the fluid and air coming out of the vent. I can recreate this when the machine is cold or hot. It does not appear to be overfull, but might have been a little high. That said, it leaked about 2-4 cups of fluid in total.

Any thoughts from the experts? I know the easy answer is to take it to the dealer, but if there is a simple fix (I'm not afraid to work on my stuff) and I can save significant money, I will give it a shot.

Thanks in advance.
    Are you checking the hydro fluid level hot or cold. I'd suggest to check it hot. If cold it may be expanding during operation and exceed the vent overflow level. Additionally, loader operation may be heating the fluid more than normal operation exacerbating the overfill situation.

Welcome aboard!
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-03-2019 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply. I had been checking it cold, and just checked it hot. It is at the top of full, so maybe it was a little overfull. I'll keep an eve on it and see if it happens again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    My X748 is pretty sensitive to being overfilled. It seems like every time I changed the hydro fluid, it would drip a puddle for a couple months.

I keep mine a little on the low side now. You will have to watch yours carefully since you have loader cylinders that will cause your level to fluctuate.

By not having the upgraded relief valve in, you were probably LESS likely to damage something since the upgraded one probably has a higher setting.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements