• 2 Post By Manomet
  • 1 Post By H-D dealer dude

Thread: Nice Day to Take the 445 for a Ride

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks

Nice Day to Take the 445 for a Ride

Sure sign of spring is when the 445 comes out of hiding. Since my grandfather passed, my folks sold their rental properties, and I married my favorite cougar, the mowing duties of the 445 came to an end. The purchase of a X728 with a cab took the snow blowing job away from the 445 as well. So now she just makes a yearly appearance to pull the roller around.

I also committed a grave sin in the John Deere world. I had to settle for a local hardware store HWI/NAPA/BetterHomesandGardens/Kraft/BiggbyCoffee replacement battery. The John Deere Strongbox would not hold a charge anymore and I lost count on how many of those I have purchased. Even with a tender. Plus, the nearest Deere dealer is better than a half hour drive one way.

I looked the machine over and noticed one of the air cleaner bolts was missing. I looked all over the engine bay. How did that thing come out? Is there enough room with the hood closed for it to escape? The machine only has 320 hours on it when she hit the sun yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4087.jpg  
    RandyM, Levi, Daveb and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Most people think (except here) that having more than one tractor is crazy. I do so much between mowing 2 1/2 acres,tilling the garden, putting down mulch,going to a plow day or two,dethatching, aerating, putting down fertilizer that I would spend a lot of that time changing out attachments.Find ways to use both it makes a difference and you're not putting a ton of hours on one tractor.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You can never have enough tractors. Those who say different, well, you don't need that sort of negativity in your life.

Currently moving snow and rolling the lawn are the only duties I have that require a tractor to do. My lawn is small enough to use a John Deere WE80 walk behind. I like the cut better anyway with the walk behind vs. the unforgiving 60" deck.

When I was a wee lad, I had a paper route. The nicest man in the world lived way down this gravel road that only a couple houses was on. Maybe 3/4 mile or so. He had been in an industrial accident and had lost most of his fingers on both hands. He had three large Bolens tractors. One with a deck, one with a front blade, and the last with a tiller. Back then you needed many hours, many tools, and all your fingers to change implements. He loved to talk about his machines and while his wife served me a piece of pie or cake.

isaac
    Superglidesport and Daveb like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionSchnauzer View Post
    Sure sign of spring is when the 445 comes out of hiding. Since my grandfather passed, my folks sold their rental properties, and I married my favorite cougar, the mowing duties of the 445 came to an end. The purchase of a X728 with a cab took the snow blowing job away from the 445 as well. So now she just makes a yearly appearance to pull the roller around.

I also committed a grave sin in the John Deere world. I had to settle for a local hardware store HWI/NAPA/BetterHomesandGardens/Kraft/BiggbyCoffee replacement battery. The John Deere Strongbox would not hold a charge anymore and I lost count on how many of those I have purchased. Even with a tender. Plus, the nearest Deere dealer is better than a half hour drive one way.

I looked the machine over and noticed one of the air cleaner bolts was missing. I looked all over the engine bay. How did that thing come out? Is there enough room with the hood closed for it to escape? The machine only has 320 hours on it when she hit the sun yesterday.
    That 445 is a very clean L&G. They are tough little units. Notice that you've got the bike out as well! Ride safe!!
    UnionSchnauzer likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    That 445 is a very clean L&G. They are tough little units. Notice that you've got the bike out as well! Ride safe!!
    Thank you Superglidesport. Congrats on your new job too by the way.

I purchased the 445 new. My first new tractor. I had a 112 which I wish I never let go. Anyway, I took her home with the 60" deck, the 8HD trailer, the front blade, and the front and rear weight brackets. I could easily sell the X728 and that Ultra Glide you see in the photo. I love them and take care of them but there is something about your first machine. I know you know what I mean. I still have my first Harley, a Road King. I will keep that forever too.

The first Harley I ever rode was a Superglide. A friend of mine was selling his and it was awesome and perfect in every way. I was a young electrician in the construction world. I wasn't sure if we had much work coming so with a heavy heart I passed. As it turned out, the shop I was working for had plenty of work but they would not tell you. They liked to keep the crews guessing and scared. One of the many reasons that place is history. Still, I do love the Dana's but the Road King has the 60's look that I just dig.

You ride safe too brother!

isaac
    Last edited by UnionSchnauzer; 04-17-2016 at 06:12 AM.
    Superglidesport likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionSchnauzer View Post

The first Harley I ever rode was a Superglide. A friend of mine was selling his and it was awesome and perfect in every way. I was a young electrician in the construction world. I wasn't sure if we had much work coming so with a heavy heart I passed. As it turned out, the shop I was working for had plenty of work but they would not tell you. They liked to keep the crews guessing and scared. One of the many reasons that place is history. Still, I do love the Dana's but the Road King has the 60's look that I just dig.

You ride safe to brother!

isaac
    Issac,

My first MC was a 1967 XLCH Sportster. Bought it as a new, old stock bike in 1969 when I was 15. Back then you could get your learner's permit at 15 so that was my first ride. My next bike was a '72 XLCH. Had some clutch problems and went to the dealer to buy some frictions & steels and saw they were un-crating a new '73 FX "SuperGlide." Bought it on the spot. I wish I still had it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73 Superglide.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	165561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73 FX Superglide-3.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	165569

Sold it off back in 2003 when I was being moved from Massachusetts to Ohio with my job at the time. Up until then I kept everything and still had the '67 & '72 Sportsters and the '73, '83 & '92 SuperGlides. The '92 Dyna SuperGlide stayed and moved to Ohio with me but I bought an '04 RoadGlide soon after.

Each bike has it's own personality. I like all of them. Now have a '10 Deluxe for Ms. SGS and she can ride it!! Also have a '13 CVO Road King Anniversary and the '15 CVO Road Glide.

Frank
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    What wonderful bikes and I bet wonderful stories of adventures too.

The first bike was a Honda XL70. Loved that little bike. First new Harley I looked at was a Sportster. You know back then bikes were hard to come by, especially other than Sportsters at the HD dealer anyway. Around '88-89. Then I looked at that Superglide. Time went by, many years. Then late summer 2000 I wanted to get a bike bad. My father just got back into motorcycles himself after not having one for many years. His new 2000 Indian was beautiful and very cool. Mom wanted me to talk sense into him but instead I joined him. If our shop had not done work for the local Harley shop, I would not have been lucky enough to score my 2001 King. I now have dad's Chief and my wife's Honda Rebel.

The Chief and the King are treasures filled with memories I can never forget.

isaac
    Last edited by UnionSchnauzer; 04-17-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    Superglidesport likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:43 AM
    Thanks
    Looks like Lava Red Sunglo to me, same as my 05 Road King Classic. I would like to have a tractor for every implement but no time or indoor space for that. We love our 455.
    Last edited by Manomet; 04-18-2016 at 08:19 PM.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Very close. Actually '08 Candy Red Sunglo.

It would be nice to have a machine (and the space) for every task but with my sinus issues, I really rather have my fingers.

I would not be fortunate enough to have a machine with a cab for snow removal under normal circumstances. My queen generally would not allow such luxuries, but her disire for a functioning kidney (my left one was suitable), she did make an exception this time.

Seemed like a fair trade.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    That's rough just to get a new tractor. For that price the cab better have a heater. Lol
    Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 04-20-2016 at 05:02 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements