Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: X758 front PTO leak

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-05-2016 @ 07:15 PM
    Thanks

X758 front PTO leak

Hello, I finally got the right tractor and snow blower to meet the needs of my property. I actually had a 1026R that I sold last year and used the funds to buy my X758. I'm also the kind of person who likes to take on task myself and save the expense of having someone else do it. So I purchased the front PTO kit for the tractor and installed it. When I installed the PTO I followed the instructions, I removed the front wheels, put the axle up on jack stands, and removed the existing plugs in the axle. When refilling the front axle with hydraulic fluid I watched for the fluid to show up in the vents on top of the wheel cylinder. As soon as I saw fluid I stopped adding fluid. Things went smoothly and everything appeared to be correct. We had a major snow storm for our area and I used the tractor to open my driveway and several of my neighbors driveways. When the snow melted I noticed spots of hydraulic fluid on the driveway and there was a nice puddle under the front of the tractor laying there greeting me the next morning. The hydraulic fluid was coming from both the front and rear PTO seals.

So the tractor had been sitting for a while and Spring started to roll around so I removed the snow blower, hitch, etc. I purchased a new transmission filter and 3 gallons of hydraulic fluid. From what I have read, the front axle takes 5.3 quarts and the rear takes 7.2 quarts of transmission fluid. I drained all the hydraulic fluid and replaced the transmission filter. I started with the front axle as the instructions stated. I removed the wheels, put the front axle on jack stands, and removed the vent caps on both sides. I put 4 quarts into the front axle and then I started on the second gallon. I'm not sure just how much more I added but it quickly reached the tops of the vents. From my understanding that is how the manual states it is to be done. So I stopped adding fluid and began to fill the rear.

I filled the rear to the first line on the dipstick and started the tractor and cycled the transmission as instructed. Waited the 3 minutes and brought to middle line on the dipstick. At this point I thought I had resolved the problem. So recently I mowed the grass and was greeted with the same puddle of fluid under the front PTO leaking from the seals.

Has anyone else here ran into this problem when they installed the front PTO? The seals were new and I don't believe that I installed them incorrectly but I'm not real sure why I still have the leak. I have drained off some of the fluid from the front axle, cycled the pedals and checked the dipstick level and it appeared to be still in check. I then drive the machine and sure enough the leak starts again. From my understanding these two seals are not designed to hold the pressure of the fluid or is that incorrect? The last thing that I want to do is damage the transmission so this leak has me very concerned. Could I have damaged the seals in such a way that they no longer work? Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to let everyone know what I have done so far.

Thanks for any help and advise that you can provide.
    Last edited by msmith56; 04-17-2016 at 08:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msmith56 For This Useful Post:

bearfoot (04-17-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Looking at JD parts there's 2 seals 2 bearings and 4 snap rings.If one of them is not in its groove could cause some shifting and leaking.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Looking at JD parts there's 2 seals 2 bearings and 4 snap rings.If one of them is not in its groove could cause some shifting and leaking.
    Thank you very much for that suggestion, I'm pretty sure that the snap rings are seated properly in the grooves of the shaft and the housing. I have tried to pull and push on the shaft and it doesn't seem to give at all. It also spins freely.
    Last edited by msmith56; 04-17-2016 at 09:41 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-26-2016 @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks
    Did you wrap the spines on each end of the shaft with electrical tape, then lube them and the seals to prevent damage to the seals when slipping the seals over the shafts?

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenjeans View Post
    Did you wrap the spines on each end of the shaft with electrical tape, then lube them and the seals to prevent damage to the seals when slipping the seals over the shafts?
    Thank you Mr.G, I did wrap electrical tape around the shaft on both ends and lube the seals before installing them. The leak appears to be coming from the outer edges of the seals and not the center against the shaft.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    Photo?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    2008 JD 2320 w/FEL
    RB 2072
    SB 1154
    LR 2072

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTractor View Post
    Photo?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Hi MacTractor, I decided to go ahead and buy two new seals so I have removed both seals. Attached are pictures of the shaft and the seal. I noticed an indent on the seal at the bottom of the seal. I'm not sure what caused it but it is there on both seals. The hole in the seal is from a screw that I used to remove the seal. I'm going to buy another 2 gallons of hydraulic fluid to replace the fluid that has poured out. I'm hoping that this will resolve the issue. I'm going to follow the filling instructions : Slowly fill the front axle until the hydraulic oil level reaches the vent plug holes at each side. I will do this while the wheels are off and the axle is up on the jack stands watching closely the fluid level in those vents. I'm confident that I did it correctly the first two times but I may not have. I will be sure to grease the seals and tape the shaft splines before installing the seals. Maybe I somehow got defective seals, I'm not sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0986.JPG   IMG_0978.JPG   IMG_0982.JPG   IMG_0983.JPG   IMG_0984.JPG  

IMG_0985.JPG  
    RandyM, X748SE and TJR345 like this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Thanks
    is the front pto an extension of the mid pto like you have on a 2 series for a blower?
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

Solved, resolved, fixed, working, I'm Happy!

So today I got two new seals for the PTO shaft. For anyone interested they are part number M145671. They were what I consider a bit on the expensive side at $17.50 each. I wound up using about 1 gallon of low viscosity hydraulic fluid. I also stopped by the hardware store and bought a pvc pipe about 1 foot long and while there I compared the diameter to the seal that I had with me. I got home and installed the seals using the pvc pipe. On the advice of the service tech at Deere, I drove them in past the lip of the openings so they are both in there a little further then the old ones were. I refilled the axle, then went to the rear and filled it and cycled the transmission forward and backward three times. Brought the fluid to mid on the dipstick and then I started it up and I let it sit and idle around half throttle and checked for leaks around both sides of the shafts and there were none. I then mowed my grass and ran across my driveway several times to check for oil spots and there were none. The leak is gone! I still don't know what caused the seal to do what it did but I am so happy this is fixed now. Thanks to all of you for your advice on this issue.
    dieselshadow and X748SE like this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    Is there anywhere online I can find a copy of the installation instructions for the front pto kit that fits on the x758?

Just wondering how long you think it will take a novice to do this install? I'm just wondering if I should take it to the JD dealership.

thanks

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast