Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help for JD 285

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-17-2016 @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks

Help for JD 285

Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum and I've recently acquired a JD 285 lawn tractor. It has the Kawasaki engine liquid cooled. Here is my issue. When I start it it runs for 30 seconds and quits. I put a new filter on it and new lines from filter to pump. No difference. The gas is fresh (non ethanol) just purchased yesterday. Old fuel had been drained or evaporated away as the tank was dry when I got it. This unit has sat outside for the last year and a half, in the elements of western NY, rain, snow, sun. Here is one thing I did notice, I un-hooked the fuel line to drain the new fuel after it had no effect on the mower running better. The fuel should have drained out of the line back in to the can. It did not even trickle out of the line. Is there a screen or filter in the tank? Any help would be appreciated. I have seen this issue on other searches on the web but never any conclusions for getting it resolved. Mower would run for a minute or so then quit.

Regards,

-Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    There is a screen on some but also check the vent in the cap.If air is not getting in it will cause it to stall.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    There is a screen on some but also check the vent in the cap.If air is not getting in it will cause it to stall.
    I am starting to tear in to it now There is so much rust and Pine needles in every nook and cranny. As for the vapor lock, I knew of that and I left the gas cap right off while trying to keep it running. I am waiting for the PB blaster to penetrate so I can get the foot rests and main floor pan off in order to lift off the back fender and seat area. When I got home from work I saw that the filter was full, so I pulled the fuel line to drain the gas and only what was in the line and filter came out the tank is still full and seems to just trickle out very slowly. Leading me to believe there is some sort of blockage.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    My JD 285 has a cut in the threads of the gas tank fill neck to act as vent.
    I periodically have to use compressed air to "back blow" the line to the tank. That works for me. Too lazy to try and pull the fuel tank and see what's inside. I should, since my low fuel light no longer works. Furthest I got with it was checking the bulb was good.
    I mowed last Tuesday, first time this year, all was good. Had mine since new in 1989
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

Sasquad (04-23-2016)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    My JD 285 has a cut in the threads of the gas tank fill neck to act as vent.
    I periodically have to use compressed air to "back blow" the line to the tank. That works for me. Too lazy to try and pull the fuel tank and see what's inside. I should, since my low fuel light no longer works. Furthest I got with it was checking the bulb was good.
    I mowed last Tuesday, first time this year, all was good. Had mine since new in 1989
    Thanks for the info. Glad to here you have one and it is working well. This unit I picked up is in rough condition. I an 2/3 of the way to having the tank off. (letting some blaster soak in) I'll be posting the results of the clean out. To be honest these unit just need gas and spark to run. This one appears to be getting spark, just not enough gas.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Plugged

Finally got the tank out, Never even knew that the little green knurled knob, shut off valve was on the top of the tank. or that there is an electric sender for gas level on top of the tank. Couldn't see them through all the pine needle fodder, and dirt. That would have been useful information to know so I am sharing it for the next bloke that has this issue. The tank does not feed off the bottom of the tank but rather has a pick up tube that goes through the valve and sends the gas to the filter. What I found was the tank is fine no obstruction there. But the STEEL line running along the frame from the tank to the filter was plugged so bad I couldn't get 60 psi of air to blow through it. It finally blew out the clog at 100 psi. Now I will replace the rubber lines and reinstall the tank. I will also post pictures of the Mess it was. Hope this is the answer. I just wonder if the pump has been compromised.

-Bill
    Last edited by Sasquad; 04-26-2016 at 05:11 AM.
    gbnpp05 and TJR345 like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    Would you have been able to pull the fuel pickup tube without pulling the fender platform? If so I might try and clean or replace mine.

My low fuel sender failed shortly after I bought mine. Dealer said the glue used for the float failed, not designed for gas
    Replaced unit lasted over twenty years, but light does not come on at start/bulb test. I checked the bulb and it is OK, so I must have a wiring problem. Sender might still be OK.

I always top off after every use, so I have not bothered to try and fix it.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

I wouldn't

I wouldn't try to do it that way. The pick up tube is in a rubber grommet style holder. I think you'll play heck trying to get it out, and worse back in. Fuel sensor is in the same style attachment just a bit bigger. I don't blame you for not wanting to pull the fender/seat assembly, it is a pain. I never removed the pick up tube even after I got the tank out. It is clear and seems to be OK. I didn't want to damage the grommet. But I am replacing all the fuel line from the pick up/ shut off valve, all the way to the pump. When I get some time I'll post some pics.

-Bill

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 10:17 PM
    Thanks
    I would clean the gas tank out good, replace the pickup line and grommet along with a new fuel line and filter. I would also clean and possibly rebuild the carburetor.
    Also could the Fuel pump be causing problems?
    98 John Deere 345

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

I doubt it

The pump seems to be ok. The gentleman I purchased it from used it in 2014. it sat 2015 and I just picked it up. The line (steel one ) that runs along the frame, was so plugged up that I couldn't blow it out with 60 psi on my compressor. It took 100 psi to blow the clog out of it. But now that I have it stripped down so far I'm going to give everything a good lube and refresh the paint on the frame. I'll replace ALL the fuel tube and it should be good to go. My thoughts are that this mower sat with Ethanol laced fuel for so long that it started to break down the fuel tubes and the steel tube and caused the blockage. I hope when I put it all back together and engage the PTO that the Kawasaki engine won't die under load. If it does I'm going to shoot it like any other deer and eat it.
    Zebrafive and BigJim55 like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast