Thread: JD 425 auction, Need ASAP opinion

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 01:18 AM
    Thanks

JD 425 auction, Need ASAP opinion

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...10&acctid=6284

Just found this. Bid closes at 1.
    It's in my town. Looked at it and drove it.
    Owned by the city library. Only used for snow. Deck and bagger were never used. City guys put it on now to make sure it works. It does.
    There are no bids yet.
    If I get it at the bid minimum of $3,000 is it a good deal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    I put this thread in the proper forum.
    Zebrafive likes this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    Too late when I saw this. I guess $3K depends on the condition, hours and if AWS. At least it was in the right state for me.

Any idea if it sold and how much? Link only said no longer available, sold or withdrawn
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I chickened out. I didn't want to impulse buy. Probably should have.
    I'm pretty sure it did not sell. There were no bids at 1 minute left.
    the tractor was in pretty good shape for the age. The cab had the expected amount of surface rust. The cab had never been taken off and after 20 years had rub the green off the hood. Started right up sounded good, steering was tight. Engine looked clean but not like cleaned to hide anything, just dusty, no leaks. The blower looked like it could use some TLC, but no major cracks in the sheet metal.
    They said if it didn't sell they would park it for a couple of months and relist it. Since it is city owned it has to be auctioned and can't be sold outright. Maybe it will pop up again for a few hundred less.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surveyor View Post
    the tractor was in pretty good shape for the age. The cab had the expected amount of surface rust. The cab had never been taken off and after 20 years had rub the green off the hood. Started right up sounded good, steering was tight. Engine looked clean but not like cleaned to hide anything, just dusty, no leaks. The blower looked like it could use some TLC, but no major cracks in the sheet metal.
    They said if it didn't sell they would park it for a couple of months and relist it. Since it is city owned it has to be auctioned and can't be sold outright. Maybe it will pop up again for a few hundred less.
    just bought my shelves off of gov.deals. and ur right about them having to relist it, what I learned from the fella at the post office where I picked mine up. they use a appraiser, who looks all this stuff up to determine a price for it. when I first started bidding, they was $70, but as the bid progressed, the same password came up on the bid. they go in and preselect a set price, first one over that price wins it, unless someone else also set a different price. he told me now since all the lots didn't sell, the price will be lower. it doesn't matter for me, cause I now have too many. I looked at that tractor with the cab and all attachments, u should of bid on it, and seen if u was above the set starting price. I lost out on a cab for my 2520 2 winters ago-had two computers going at one time bidding-trying to kinda outsmart the other bidder anyway-we went to our preselected price and stopped, 3hrs later the other bidder won the bid. 2wks later got a e-mail saying that that person refused it on account the windshield was broke in it. it clearly stated that in the description, so I figured there was some hanky panky going on there. wouldn't bid on it again, and it sold this time for only a couple hundred bucks. not the same password either. sorry u didn't get it.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    Did you notice the number of hours?
    Did it have AWS?

I may want you to PM me if it comes back up for auction.

Maybe take and post some pictures
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    550 hours. No AWS.
    The ad said it may need a few parts to hook up the snowblower but they had found them all when I was there.
    I'm looking to replace my 314 and this is in the range I'm shopping for. I just didn't want to bid on such short notice. Should have.

10. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    FWIW, I think it was wise you didn't bid. With no research done, or time to fully inspect it, the door was wide open in losing a bunch of dollars.
    coaltrain likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    550 hours. No AWS.
    The ad said it may need a few parts to hook up the snowblower but they had found them all when I was there.
    I'm looking to replace my 314 and this is in the range I'm shopping for. I just didn't want to bid on such short notice. Should have.
    It's not like you lost out, as the item didn't sell. It's always best to proceed cautiously as it is the "urgency" which often is used by sellers to make people jump. I can tell you that from my personal experience, most municipalities do not put a priority of maintaining things, but instead, merely fixing them when necessary.

Think of it like buying a used rental car. It's been operated by people who for the most part ""drive it like they stole it"" and the machines best interest and concerns rarely come into play.

The other thing to keep in mind on the auction process is the Buyers Premium you have to pay in addition to the selling price. On some of those items, I have seen it be as much as 15% (and a few even higher) so suddenly the $3,000 tractor could cost almost $3,500......Now is it such a great deal? Not really.....

Many of the people who watch these auctions and buy and sell for a living are very good at not overpaying. Since the tractor didn't even solicit a bid, the starting point is too high. I watched this unit as well as I was interested in just the cab and I would have resold the tractor and blower, etc........

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements