Like Tree12Likes

Thread: X758 capabilities?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-30-2016 @ 01:55 PM
    Thanks

X758 capabilities?

Hi all!

I recently purchased an x758 garden tractor and was wondering if my 54 HC deck will mow down our sagebrush, weeds and dry wheat (from the farm next to us)? I plan on tilling and plowing so we can plant but I'm hoping by mowing it down first will make the job easier. Anyone try this or had any personal knowledge of the x758's capabilities? Thank you,
    JCLRK279-

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    That thing should cut just about anything with no problems.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-08-2019 @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    Its the same as my lawn tractor except for the 4 wheel drive. It will cut very thick and tall grass, even if its a few feet high without too much problem. Also they are made to operate a tiller, but you will need the 3 point hitch and rear PTO options, both of which I installed on mine myself. It will till very nicely. If you're talking about an earth plow then I would not know but am skeptical it could do it without damaging the hydro transmission unless the plowshare was not that big or if the soil was loose. Plowing earth is a tough application for a small tractor.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    07-12-2016 @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with the previous posts. I've cut thru some very heavy growth - weeds, grass etc and my x700 hardly noticed. I have a Heavy Hitch Middle Buster/ Scarifier that my tractor will pull through the soil with ease at a depth of 8 inches or so but my soil is fairly sandy.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Thanks
    Just keep an eye on your temperature gauge as water cooled X7xx's can get toasty fairly quick when mowing dry stuff as it accumulates on the radiator intake screens. Don't forget the removable one between the radiator and oil cooler.

The rear mounted radiator is my only gripe with mine.
    X748SE and johnH123 like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-09-2017 @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks

Yup, should be OK

I mow what we call the "natural area" on our property once a year. I do it in spring when the grasses, wildflowers and small shrubs are dry. The grass gets to 24-30 inches tall in the fall before it dies and drys for winter, and then the snow usually mats it down. It is about an acre in size. My X710 goes thru it at about 5 inches like it was just part of the perfectly manicured front lawn. Never had a problem with overheating, but I do pick a cool day in late March or early April (Wisconsin). I rarely have mowed anything that tall when it was green, but know have done so and do not recall a problem.
    mjncad likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-30-2016 @ 01:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you for all of your responses! Very helpful and exactly what I was hoping to hear! Has anyone found the best and most affordable places to buy attachments from? I found a few places online but they all vary in price some even more expensive than the JD manufacturer!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jclrk279 View Post
    Thank you for all of your responses! Very helpful and exactly what I was hoping to hear! Has anyone found the best and most affordable places to buy attachments from? I found a few places online but they all vary in price some even more expensive than the JD manufacturer!
    Peeps assume that the "stealership" is always going to be the most expensive option. This could not be further from the truth. Plus you know exactly who to see/go to when you have a problem. If you bought the ___ from my store I'm more inclined to help you if and when you have a problem.

Because of all the internet cut throat pricing MAP (minimum advertised pricing) policy's/laws have been instituted by most manufactures.
    56FordGuy and jclrk279 like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Peeps assume that the "stealership" is always going to be the most expensive option. This could not be further from the truth. Plus you know exactly who to see/go to when you have a problem. If you bought the ___ from my store I'm more inclined to help you if and when you have a problem.

Because of all the internet cut throat pricing MAP (minimum advertised pricing) policy's/laws have been instituted by most manufactures.
    For me it comes down to parts.Buying an off brand at a TS for example, then they don't carry it after a few because they went with another brand or worse yet they stopped making that model and no parts available period.And yes they can pull a plow 10" or 12" is good.I plow a lot of clay and in sandy soil I could pull a 2 bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1997.jpg   IMG_0417.JPG  
    mjncad, X748SE, johnH123 and 3 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    For me it comes down to parts.Buying an off brand at a TS for example, then they don't carry it after a few because they went with another brand or worse yet they stopped making that model and no parts available period.And yes they can pull a plow 10" or 12" is good.I plow a lot of clay and in sandy soil I could pull a 2 bottom.
    I like your way of thinking & your tractor. Lol
    That's another good reason to buy from a reputable dealer. I must admit JD makes repair parts available for longer periods than any of the other manufacturer I worked with.

For example look at all the cheep scooters, mini bikes, etc. that come from TiChiKo. You buy one because its cheep and all is well until Jr. breaks something. Then good luck finding repair parts let alone someone to work on it.
    This is the reason a similar Honda or Yamaha mini bike is 3 times the price. It's been said before, you usually get what you pay for.

I almost peed myself when I first read about TiChiKo in a power sports trade magazine. Apparently it is an industry term to describe the low quality products that come from either Tiwan, China or Korea.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 07-04-2016 at 10:25 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast