Green Tractor Talk banner

Parking brake on 2520

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rob2010 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if it is actually called a "parking brake" in tractor terms but for my question that is what I'm going with.
I have a relatively new 2520, has a total of 15.8 hours on it, mostly snow removal from last winter. I was starting my spring projects and noticed when I set the parking brake even on a slight incline it will not prevent the machine from rolling. Not carrying anything in the FEL or BH. Regular brakes work fine. How hard is it to adjust the parking brake on the 2520? While i'm relatively handy I have no experience on tractors or cars when it comes to brake issues.

Rob

#2 ·
Here is the parts diagram for it. At 15 hours you may just want to get the dealer to fix it as it will be covered under warranty. Or you may take this opportunity to get the service manual CD if you intend to work on things yourself.

Attachments

#3 ·
Hey Rob,
I noticed on mine that I have to press the pedals pretty hard before I "set" the parking brake in order to keep it from moving. Then again, I'm on a pretty steep incline with a full loader bucket of dirt and ballast box weight too. So maybe what Kennyd suggested is in order.

Greg

#4 ·
I am with Greg on this one. I too found like you Rob when I first bought mine it wasn't holding as well as I thought it should. Then after a few dozen hours I quit babying it and now just push a little harder on the peddle to make the next click on the lock. It will skid before it moves now even on a steep incline with full loader and ballast.

#5 ·
Before I took delivery of my 2520 late last year, I told my dealer to check the parking break operation as I had read a few threads that talked about it not holding. Anyway, they checked it when it was brand new and were surprised by the fact that this was the case. They adjusted it or whatever before delivery, and now it works fine.

REV

#6 ·
The adjustment is via threaded rods underneath that activate each of the brakes. You loosen the jamb nut and then tighten/loosen the adjusting nut until the brakes are set, then, re-tighten the jamb nut.

I found this to be a little bit tricky because there was very little difference between "adjusted just right" (i.e., able to feel just a little drag on the wheel when spinning it) and locked-up.

However, I found the sweet spot and now they are adjusted just right. I notice that, now, I really seem to have two different parking brake settings. Stage one, just a slight push on the pedal, and I can pull the orange handle out and it will lock, but the brakes are only lightly holding (this is fine for level or only slightly sloped parking).

To get the "super-hold" setting, it takes a FIRM puch on the pedals and then pull the orange handle ALL the way out.

Does anyone else see their parking brake act like this?

I'm not complaining, I like having the "two-stage" parking brake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.