Tire chains on 2032/2038r for snow?
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Tire chains on 2032/2038r for snow?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Tire chains on 2032/2038r for snow?

    I'm struggling a bit in the deep snow up here and have almost been stuck a few times plowing the driveway. Almost thinking I should trade the blade for a blower with this big driveway Hehe.

    Running R3 turf front and rear. I'm thinking about getting the JD rear tire chain kit. Anyone use them and do they make a good difference? Can / should the fronts also have chains?

    Are they also easy to install and remove?

    Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    35,173
    Thanks
    6,096
    Thanked 4,161 Times in 3,061 Posts
    I wouldn't be without tire chains.

    https://www.tirechain.com/Tractor-Tire-Chains.htm
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

    BigJim55 (02-12-2019)

  5. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:16 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,756
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 900 Times in 693 Posts
    I have the 1st Generation 2032R and never used my chains until this winter even though I bought them shortly after getting the machine.

    The difference is night and day. No slipping, no wheel spinning... I guess both are still possible but they don't happen anywhere near as much as without them. I haven't even engaged MFWD or the rear wheel locker since putting them on.

    Putting chains on and getting them properly fitted the 1st time takes some time and a bit of work. After you get that right, it isn't a big deal. Now that I have mine right, it takes 30 minutes to put them on and the tractor is like a little tank with them.

    Not sure what Deere's recommendation is for chains on teh front wheels for your machine. They recommend against it for many of the CUTs. The whole idea just makes me nervous. It'd be way to easy to have a chain grab ahold of something up front as you're driving along and rip it off. There isn't much clearance around the front wheels and once you start turning those wheels back and forth those chains would come awfully close to other front end components.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    35,173
    Thanks
    6,096
    Thanked 4,161 Times in 3,061 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I have the 1st Generation 2032R and never used my chains until this winter even though I bought them shortly after getting the machine.

    The difference is night and day. No slipping, no wheel spinning... I guess both are still possible but they don't happen anywhere near as much as without them. I haven't even engaged MFWD or the rear wheel locker since putting them on.

    Putting chains on and getting them properly fitted the 1st time takes some time and a bit of work. After you get that right, it isn't a big deal. Now that I have mine right, it takes 30 minutes to put them on and the tractor is like a little tank with them.

    Not sure what Deere's recommendation is for chains on teh front wheels for your machine. They recommend against it for many of the CUTs. The whole idea just makes me nervous. It'd be way to easy to have a chain grab ahold of something up front as you're driving along and rip it off. There isn't much clearance around the front wheels and once you start turning those wheels back and forth those chains would come awfully close to other front end components.
    Nice post.

    I use front chains on occasion but not very often. Rear chains have never been off since 2008.
    Front spacers are your friend.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1255_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	670876
    fdmars, rtgt, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  8. Top | #5
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,381
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernGreen View Post
    I'm struggling a bit in the deep snow up here and have almost been stuck a few times plowing the driveway. Almost thinking I should trade the blade for a blower with this big driveway Hehe.

    Running R3 turf front and rear. I'm thinking about getting the JD rear tire chain kit. Anyone use them and do they make a good difference? Can / should the fronts also have chains?

    Are they also easy to install and remove?

    Thanks!
    You didn't say if you have a paved or gravel driveway.

    The chain vs no-chain debate has been discussed to death. It all depends on your particular conditions and environment. Take two guys with the same tractor and one will claim he has never needed chains and the other will say he never takes his chains off. :-)

    I'm in the later camp. I have a 2720 with R4 tires and chains go on ALL FOUR tires in December and they don't come off until March. I tried it once without chains and I could barely back out of the garage.

    Chains seem to work even better on R3 tires as you don't have any tread lugs for the chain to fall between.

    Whether you need them on the front or back again depends on your tractor's weight bias and implements. For me, with the 54" front blower raised off the ground and using the rear blade I can't go anywhere without front chains? Why? Because even with loaded rear tires, with the 250lb blower hanging out in front it unweights the rear tires enough that they will easily spin. So the front tires are doing most of the work. When the blower is on the ground then not so much.

    I would look around before buying the JD tire chains. Places like Tirechain.com have a much better selection of 2-link, 4-link, V-bar, No-Vbar, etc.

    Are they a pain to put on? Again, it depends. My rear chains are 3/8 2-links and they weight around 80lb each. They are a major PITA to get mounted each season and I don't ever look forward to it. The front chains are more like glorified dog chain and they are very easy to mount.
    Last edited by jgayman; 02-07-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  9. Top | #6
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:20 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,381
    Thanks
    373
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Not sure what Deere's recommendation is for chains on teh front wheels for your machine. They recommend against it for many of the CUTs. The whole idea just makes me nervous. It'd be way to easy to have a chain grab ahold of something up front as you're driving along and rip it off. There isn't much clearance around the front wheels and once you start turning those wheels back and forth those chains would come awfully close to other front end components.
    That is a very real concern. My 2720 required the JD factory front spacers else the chain would have contacted the ends of the tie rods. Other than that there isn't much for them to grab on to.

    The rear tire area actually has more things for a loose chain to grab hold of and cause serious damage.

    With front or rear chains it is critical that they be fitted correctly and stay nice and tight with no loose ends. I know some guys just hate to trim off that loose end but once I had mine fitting properly I wacked off the extra links. It makes them much easier to put on as you just attach to the last link (compared with trying to remember which loose link to use each time). I also put safety wire on the latches to ensure they cannot come unlatched. I also use tensioners front and back to keep them nice and tight.

    Still... I am always checking mine throughout the season to ensure they are straight and tight and not coming close to catching anything. I wish JD hadn't made the fender areas so close on these little tractors.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernGreen View Post
    I'm struggling a bit in the deep snow up here and have almost been stuck a few times plowing the driveway. Almost thinking I should trade the blade for a blower with this big driveway Hehe.

    Running R3 turf front and rear. I'm thinking about getting the JD rear tire chain kit. Anyone use them and do they make a good difference? Can / should the fronts also have chains?

    Are they also easy to install and remove?

    Thanks!
    You didn't say if you have a paved or gravel driveway.

    The chain vs no-chain debate has been discussed to death. It all depends on your particular conditions and environment. Take two guys with the same tractor and one will claim he has never needed chains and the other will say he never takes his chains off. 🙂

    I'm in the later camp. I have a 2720 with R4 tires and chains go on ALL FOUR tires in December and they don't come off until March. I tried it once without chains and I could barely back out of the garage.

    Chains seem to work even better on R3 tires as you don't have any tread lugs for the chain to fall between.

    Whether you need them on the front or back again depends on your tractor's weight bias and implements. For me, with the 54" front blower raised off the ground and using the rear blade I can't go anywhere without front chains? Why? Because even with loaded rear tires, with the 250lb blower hanging out in front it unweights the rear tires enough that they will easily spin. So the front tires are doing most of the work. When the blower is on the ground then not so much.

    I would look around before buying the JD tire chains. Placing like Tirechain.com have a much better selection of 2-link, 4-link, V-bar, No-Vbar, etc.

    Are they a pain to put on? Again, it depends. My rear chains are 3/8 2-links and they weight around 80lb each. They are a major PITA to get mounted each season and I don't ever look forward to it. The front chains are more like glorified dog chain and they are very easy to mount.
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

    So I have the 366 blade with a 60" box blade on the rear. I think I'd be just fine with rear chains given how well its been performing up until this really deep stuff. It really spins when not in 4wd though.

    I have a 700ft gravel driveway but may but in a small section of concrete at some point.

    I was thinking the JD chains just because it's fairly easy to source vs ordering from the US and shipping into Canada.

    Let me know.

    Thanks

  11. Top | #8
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,755
    Thanks
    1,137
    Thanked 3,200 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Rear chains go on my 2520 in December and stay there until everything turns to mud in the spring.

    You will not believe the difference.

    Maybe very rarely a bit of steering issue on really wet packed snow - then just use the steering brakes if needed.

    #chainsrule
    Last edited by coaltrain; 02-07-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Rear chains go on my 2520 in December and stay there until everything turns to mud in the spring.

    You will not believe the difference.

    Maybe very rarely a bit of steering issue on really wet packed snow - then just use the steering brakes if needed.

    #chainsrule
    I am also thinking about wheel spacers. Considering I have a 366 blade would it make the wheels too wide for plowing?

  13. Top | #10
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    20,755
    Thanks
    1,137
    Thanked 3,200 Times in 2,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernGreen View Post
    I am also thinking about wheel spacers. Considering I have a 366 blade would it make the wheels too wide for plowing?
    Just take some measurements - width of plow with it angled - width of front tractor tires then add the amount for spacers.
    BigJim55 and wildbranch2007 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2032/2038r auto connect lift spring repair
    By Phillijp in forum Medium Frame Compact Utility Tractors (MCUT)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2018, 12:59 PM
  2. 2032#/2038R. what does this do?
    By Morrison295 in forum Medium Frame Compact Utility Tractors (MCUT)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-25-2018, 03:34 PM
  3. Front tire chains on 2720
    By jgayman in forum Medium Frame Compact Utility Tractors (MCUT)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-14-2015, 07:48 AM
  4. FREE Shipping on Snow Tire Chains
    By millertire in forum Miller Tire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM
  5. 24x12x12 ty24328 tire chains
    By rotax14 in forum For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 08:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •