• 2 Post By jgayman

Thread: PTO Problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-12-2019 @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks

PTO Problem

Hi all,
    I have a 2012 JD 2720 tractor and have been having a issue with the PTO popping out of gear when I'm snow blowing. The first time it started I thought it was just the deep heavy snow and maybe I was going to fast but it's since then its disengaging whenever I'm using the blower. It only happens a couple of times while blowing but this has never happening in the past.

Anybody experience this same problem and have a fix for it or know why its doing this?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,290 Posts
    I have a similar 2720 with a front blower. What is your indication that the PTO has popped out of gear? The PTO engagement on these is controlled electrically.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,143 Times in 2,585 Posts
    Yes, we need a more detailed explanation please.

Does the tractor shut off?
    Front or rear blower?
    Does the PTO light stay on when this happens?
    What position is your PTO selector in?
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

PTO Problem

jgayman,
    Same setup, 53" front mounted blower. I'll be blowing snow and all of sudden the blower will quit running because the PTO lever has come out of location (engagement) of mid PTO. I'm talking about the rear/mid/forward lever on the left side of the seat, not the push/pull button on the dash. I then have to push the PTO lever back into mid PTO position. The first time I realized what had happened I though maybe I hit the lever with my elbow or something to knock it out of engagement but that's not the case.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDRIDER View Post
    jgayman,
    Same setup, 53" front mounted blower. I'll be blowing snow and all of sudden the blower will quit running because the PTO lever has come out of location (engagement) of mid PTO. I'm talking about the rear/mid/forward lever on the left side of the seat, not the push/pull button on the dash. I then have to push the PTO lever back into mid PTO position. The first time I realized what had happened I though maybe I hit the lever with my elbow or something to knock it out of engagement but that's not the case.
    Hmmm... does the PTO selector lever seem to have a decent amount of detent between positions? Ideally, does it seem any different than when you first bought the tractor?

Here's something you could try... run the snow blower with the PTO selector in the "BOTH Mid/Rear" position and see how that does. Since you don't have anything on the rear PTO turning that extra shaft should not have any negative effects (in fact, working the shaft and drive line can do some good for your seals).
    BigJim55 and goat704! like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

PTO Problem

Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Hmmm... does the PTO selector lever seem to have a decent amount of detent between positions? Ideally, does it seem any different than when you first bought the tractor?

Here's something you could try... run the snow blower with the PTO selector in the "BOTH Mid/Rear" position and see how that does. Since you don't have anything on the rear PTO turning that extra shaft should not have any negative effects (in fact, working the shaft and drive line can do some good for your seals).
    jgayman,
    The detent seem to be the same as before. I'll try your idea of running in the mid/rear position and see now it runs in that position. Thanks

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    jgayman,
    The detent seem to be the same as before. I'll try your idea of running in the mid/rear position and see now it runs in that position. Thanks
    Sounds good. That's odd that it would kick out if the detent feels normal. Unfortunately most of that linkage is internal.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2720_PTO.jpg  

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    jgayman,
    Any update on the problem?

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements