2032R vs. 2038R
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: 2032R vs. 2038R

  1. Top | #1
    jdforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Location
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked 510 Times in 342 Posts

    2032R vs. 2038R

    Went tractor shopping with my son-in-law yesterday. He and my daughter purchased 5 acres, 4 of which is wooded. They will be building their dream home there within the next 5 years. The land has a lot of downed trees to clear, along with many, many that need to be cut down. He estimated about 50 just in the area the house will be built. Thank goodness he is very experienced at cutting down trees and in large equipment operation.

    Anyways, back to the tractor shopping. I currently own a 1025R and we have determined that a 1 series is not enough tractor for his current needs, but a 3 series would be way more than what he will need down the road. Also a 3 series would be too big for the wooded area. Looks like the 2032R or maybe the 2038R will hit the sweet spot for now and later. Now I'm not looking for opinions on anything other than the 2 series. That said, other than the extra PTO power on the 2038R, is there any other differences to consider besides weight? Both tractors employ the same 270B backhoe and 220R loader, so unless JD equips them with different hydraulic pumps or higher pressure settings, won't they be equals. Am I overlooking any important differences between the 2032R and 2038R?

    His useage will primarily be for general land and homeowner maintanence, but not for mowing lawn. There will be some occasional brush hogging of paths and trails in the woods, snow removal on a 250' to 350' gravel driveway, some box blading of land and driveway, to name a few. There will be loader work on virgin land for years to come. There's no question that a pallet fork will be useful. I can possibly see a grapple in the future.

    I personnaly think the 2032R is the right tractor, but given an idea of the forthcoming chores and attachment needed, what do you think? I know that there is only $2K difference between the two, but if not needed, that buys a lot of attachments.


    Research and ask questions, and buy once!
    Last edited by jdforever; 02-22-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Greg

    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

    2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Drifterbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Location
    Hampton Ill
    Posts
    2,717
    Thanks
    1,086
    Thanked 318 Times in 279 Posts
    I chose the 2038R and never looked back. Very happy with it. I am sure the 2032 will probably serve him well but "You can't have too much horsepower!!" per my old man
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

  4. Top | #3
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,231
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    Anyways, back to the tractor shopping. I currently own a 1025R and we have determined that a 1 series is not enough tractor for his current needs, but a 3 series would be way more than what he will need down the road. Also a 3 series would be too big for the wooded area. Looks like the 2032R or maybe the 2038R will hit the sweet spot for now and later. Now I'm not looking for opinions on anything other than the 2 series. That said, other than the extra PTO power on the 2038R, is there any other differences to consider besides weight? Both tractors employ the same 270B backhoe and 220R loader, so unless JD equips them with different hydraulic pumps or higher pressure settings, won't they be equals. Am I overlooking any important differences between the 2032R and 2038R?
    Weight difference? The 2-series brochure shows that both tractors weigh the same at 2436 lb. Other than the engine both tractors are identical. The 2032R has a 100.2 cu in normally aspirated engine and the 2038R has a smaller 95.8 cu in turbo charged engine.
    glc, OxPath, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:21 AM
    Location
    Kane County,IL
    Posts
    1,177
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 215 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    Went tractor shopping with my son-in-law yesterday. He and my daughter purchased 5 acres, 4 of which is wooded. They will be building their dream home there within the next 5 years. The land has a lot of downed trees to clear, along with many, many that need to be cut down. He estimated about 50 just in the area the house will be built. Thank goodness he is very experienced at cutting down trees and in large equipment operation.

    Anyways, back to the tractor shopping. I currently own a 1025R and we have determined that a 1 series is not enough tractor for his current needs, but a 3 series would be way more than what he will need down the road. Also a 3 series would be too big for the wooded area. Looks like the 2032R or maybe the 2038R will hit the sweet spot for now and later. Now I'm not looking for opinions on anything other than the 2 series. That said, other than the extra PTO power on the 2038R, is there any other differences to consider besides weight? Both tractors employ the same 270B backhoe and 220R loader, so unless JD equips them with different hydraulic pumps or higher pressure settings, won't they be equals. Am I overlooking any important differences between the 2032R and 2038R?

    His useage will primarily be for general land and homeowner maintanence, but not for mowing lawn. There will be some occasional brush hogging of paths and trails in the woods, snow removal on a 250' to 350' gravel driveway, some box blading of land and driveway, to name a few. There will be loader work on virgin land for years to come. There's no question that a pallet fork will be useful. I can possibly see a grapple in the future.

    I personnaly think the 2032R is the right tractor, but given an idea of the forthcoming chores and attachment needed, what do you think? I know that there is only $2K difference bewtween the two, but if not needed, that buys a lot of attachments.


    Research and ask questions, and buy once!
    Just something to Keep In Mind the 2032R & the 2038R is 1 inch shorter In Length and 1 Inch shorter In height that a 3R series Open station. The 3R is about a Little over a foot wider that the 2032R/2038R and that is Based On R3 for the 2R and R1 for the 3R tires so that width could get smaller. So I wouldn't Take the 3R off the Table Because it really not that Much bigger

    The 270B and the 260B same specs Not getting Much of a Difference Other than they way It Mounts to the tractor.

    The Loader Capacity & 3 Point Capacity are Less on the 2032R/2038R

    But the 220R You get about 200Lbs More lift Capacity than the 120R on a 2025R and about 600 more Pound of Lift capacity On the 3point Hitch then the 2025R But that really Increases in both if Going with a 3R series
    North585, Marlin, mike01 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,XUV 835M
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

    MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Last Online
    11-05-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    2032r here. No issues with power and one less thing to worry about without the turbo. Unless you run lots of demanding PTO implements the 32 will be fine. Give 2k for more implements. I'd go with a 3r before considering the 2038r.
    glc, jgayman, jdforever and 3 others like this.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernGreen For This Useful Post:

    jdforever (02-22-2019)

  9. Top | #6
    mike01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,273
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 163 Times in 105 Posts
    The 2038R has more HP, not just more PTO HP. You may feel it when you drive them around, particularly uphill.

    I recently tested identically configured models (32 and 38) with a stopwatch on the dealer lot. From standstill, will full throttle, the 2038 will accelerate to its top speed in about 5.75 seconds. The 2032 will do it in about 6.6 seconds (top speed is the same). The 2038 recovers much faster if you just floor the forward pedal at standstill (you shouldn't do that, they don't like it), whereas the 2032 takes a long time to get up to speed if you do that (about 6.25ish seconds for 2038 vs almost 9 seconds for 2032). And you definitely feel it the extra power if you do that. No so much if you don't (and, again, you shouldn't do that).

    Will that matter to you?

    You said you weren't going to mow, so it probably won't. If I were buying one of these and I was going to mow with it, I'd get the 2038. It's about the only application I can think of where you are at max PRM in high trying to go as fast as you can with an implement running and you want to be done as fast as possible. The 2032 won't be able to move as fast with the deck on as the 2038 would.

    Other than that? Honestly? Unless you like zipping around as fast as possible on your property and tearing stuff up, the extra HP isn't very useful. Unless there's another application like mowing that lets you bounce around at full speed on high with the PTO running. Brush hogging isn't it, not unless you want to break something. Or maybe you want some really big wood chipper or generator that the 32R wouldn't run very well. I don't know, I don't do those things.

    If you're in low range, there's really nothing you can do to notice the extra HP.

    Everything else...lift capacity, lift height, top speed, three point lift, weight, turn radius etc. is identical on both machines.

    I wouldn't worry about the turbo reliability, as that is pretty much a non-issue, but you should leave it running for about two minutes after you work it hard before shutting off the engine, which is really annoying. If you don't do that, then I would worry about turbo reliability. And if your turbo goes, it's taking the DPF with it (and vice versa).

    I think, for me, it boils down to one question. Will you mow with it and do you like mowing fast.

    Yes? 2038R.

    No? 2032R.

    Or do you just have money to burn and want the most/best/everything you can get? 2038R. Actually wait, no, that's dumb. 3046R. It's practically the same size, has much higher lift capacity and much more HP.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

    Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

  10. Top | #7
    jdforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Location
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked 510 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant View Post
    Just something to Keep In Mind the 2032R & the 2038R is 1 inch shorter In Length and 1 Inch shorter In height that a 3R series Open station. The 3R is about a Little over a foot wider that the 2032R/2038R and that is Based On R3 for the 2R and R1 for the 3R tires so that width could get smaller. So I wouldn't Take the 3R off the Table Because it really not that Much bigger

    The 270B and the 260B same specs Not getting Much of a Difference Other than they way It Mounts to the tractor.

    The Loader Capacity & 3 Point Capacity are Less on the 2032R/2038R

    But the 220R You get about 200Lbs More lift Capacity than the 120R on a 2025R and about 600 more Pound of Lift capacity On the 3point Hitch then the 2025R But that really Increases in both if Going with a 3R series
    I appreciate your input, however, the 3 series financially is out of the picture for my son-in-law. At the dealership, there was a 2 and a 3 series sitting side by side. The 3 really is quite a bit larger. After looking at and sitting on both 2 and 3, we immediately knew the 3 was too big. He!! of a tractor though. Thanks, Greg
    Greg

    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

    2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

  11. Top | #8
    PJR832's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    11,546
    Thanks
    1,919
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,301 Posts
    So back when JD made the 55 series, the 2355 and the 2555 were literally the same tractor, except the 2555 had a turbo and about 10 more HP. When my FIL was in the market for utility tractor he went shopping JD. The salesman (who was also a personal friend of my FIL) suggested the 2555, my FIL asked why. His friend told him, "because it has a turbo, it must be better" Mind you, that tractor almost never saw field work since he had a whole stable of capable field tractors so the HP was not a real game changer.

    Morale of the story, if it has a turbo it must worth the extra.

    Disclaimer;
    This post was just a funny story that sort of relates.
    glc, Gizmo2, North585 and 4 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

  12. Top | #9
    jdforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Location
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Posts
    1,955
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked 510 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    So back when JD made the 55 series, the 2355 and the 2555 were literally the same tractor, except the 2555 had a turbo and about 10 more HP. When my FIL was in the market for utility tractor he went shopping JD. The salesman (who was also a personal friend of my FIL) suggested the 2555, my FIL asked why. His friend told him, "because it has a turbo, it must be better" Mind you, that tractor almost never saw field work since he had a whole stable of capable field tractors so the HP was not a real game changer.

    Morale of the story, if it has a turbo it must worth the extra.

    Disclaimer;
    This post was just a funny story that sort of relates.
    Pat,

    I read that on the internet. It's got to be true!
    Gizmo2, mark02tj, mike01 and 2 others like this.
    Greg

    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

    2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

  13. Top | #10
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,231
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    So back when JD made the 55 series, the 2355 and the 2555 were literally the same tractor, except the 2555 had a turbo and about 10 more HP. When my FIL was in the market for utility tractor he went shopping JD. The salesman (who was also a personal friend of my FIL) suggested the 2555, my FIL asked why. His friend told him, "because it has a turbo, it must be better" Mind you, that tractor almost never saw field work since he had a whole stable of capable field tractors so the HP was not a real game changer.

    Morale of the story, if it has a turbo it must worth the extra.

    Disclaimer;
    This post was just a funny story that sort of relates.
    What is interesting and different though is that unlike the 2032R/2038R, the 2355/2555 used the exact same engine and compression ratio. The 2555 simply added a turbo and got 10HP more on the drawbar and PTO.
    jdforever, mike01 and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2032r vs 2038r pulling power
    By specialk in forum Medium Frame Compact Utility Tractors (MCUT)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-12-2017, 02:53 PM
  2. 2017, 2032r vs 2038r
    By skistrom in forum Medium Frame Compact Utility Tractors (MCUT)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-03-2017, 10:33 AM
  3. 1025R FILB vs 2720/2032R TLB vs 3x20 TLB (Tractor Loader Backhoe) vs 110 TLB or 4x20
    By quatro2b in forum Large Frame Compact Utility Tractors (LCUT)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-18-2017, 12:11 AM
  4. 2032R VS 3 SERIES; New with financing or used?; x758 vs x300 for mowing
    By jermedic in forum Medium Frame Compact Utility Tractors (MCUT)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-06-2016, 02:54 PM
  5. X750 vs 455 vs 445 vs 318 vs ?
    By Brian in forum Lawn & Garden Tractors
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 12:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •