Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: To upgrade or not, current 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 02:58 AM
    Thanks

To upgrade or not, current 1025R

Well posted a thread in the SCUT forum but probably should have started here first, probably more experince with my predicament. I currently have a pre-2017 1025R and now have a couple of uses for a backhoe. I really like the updates for the 260B backhoe. I am considering a larger tractor though. My current primary use is mowing just over an acre. Mostly flat and have 3 trees to mow around, all around 3 ft in diameter at the base and no low hanging limbs. My current 1025R does a nice job of mowing using R4 tires. On the down side I have maxed out the lift capacity a few times in my ownership (had to bust a pallet of material in half, pain to do but better than doing it all by hand). The other problem has been lifting material over 6’ to get it in a bulk dumpster.

In the future I plan to be on 3 acres with a decent sized garden. The lot is mostly flat and cleared but have about 5 trees to avoid here, all in the same area but could drive a car no problem between them. I do not have any neighbors with equipment so anything I do will be with what I have or rent. I really try to stay away from renting, just a hassle I would rather not deal with.

All this being said I started looking at the options. I could just buy a backhoe for my current tractor (probably the cheapest option long term). I could trade in my 1025R with a new 1025R TLB keeping all my current attachments and getting a new warranty. The bad part is I would start payments all over but roughly the same as what I pay now. Then I could upgrade to a 2 series. I like this option the best if I get a “large frame” tractor. This would give me better lift capacity with the FEL and more options for garden attachments. My main concern is mowing a yard with the 2032/2038 regularly. Would this stress out the yard too much. Maybe with R3 turf tires it might not be that bad. Not sure if the tires on the 2 series are wider to account for the extra weight but will appreciate the increased diameter for a smoother ride.

If I could mow with the larger tractor without destroying my yard I think it would be a better option long term. As a note I do not want more then one machine in the garage. I know its cheaper to buy a lawn mower than the drive over deck, but not what I want to do. Any opinions?
    2015 1025R - H120 FEL/49" bucket - 60D MMM/hydraulic lift - RC2048 - BB5048 - Artillian forks/36"
    Imatch hitch - Kens bolt on hooks - BXpanded piranha tooth bar
    Single point - manual independant MMM lift

Power beyond kit - planning to install at 50 hour service

Later options and dreams:
    KK 48" tiller - PHD100/PHA009 - 260 Backhoe/12" bucket - Woodmaxx TM-86H - Agrex XL300 spreader - ETA V2 48" lawn plugger - Harley rake TM-4 - 5 1/2' Farm Maxx sickle bar mower - Cole MX12 planter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    How wet does your property get? If it stays nice and dry you would be fine mowing with a larger tractor.
    rtgt and PJR832 like this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    For 3 acres I think I’d keep the tractor you have. Unless you really want a new tractor. I have a 1026 on a 3 acre lot myself. The 1026 handles all my lawn and garden needs fine. There have been a few times moving snow that a larger tractor would have been nice to have.

If I was ever to replace my 1026R. The the 2025R is the tractor I would most likely get.
    rtgt, jdforever, mike01 and 2 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,313 Posts
    My opinion is use what you have and adapt.

A backhoe - how much would you really use it - can you justify the $6k-$7k for use on 3 acres?

I’ve had my current tractor for 12 years now on my 6 acres. Sure - there were maybe 2 or 3 times I could have used a backhoe but used what I have and got it done with my loader.

Unloading pallets - are you sure a larger tractor has the lift capacity to unload what you want? Are you still going to have to split the pallets? I know what I can safely lift with my loader. When I pick anything up from a store like that I just make sure what I put on I can take off. If that means splitting a pallet before loading I do that. Much easier to split a pallet on the ground on the pavement at the store than trying to do it in the bed of a pickup.

Use what you have - just adapt to it’s capacities.
    ejb69, rtgt, mark02tj and 3 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysmak View Post
    My main concern is mowing a yard with the 2032/2038 regularly. Would this stress out the yard too much. Maybe with R3 turf tires it might not be that bad. Not sure if the tires on the 2 series are wider to account for the extra weight but will appreciate the increased diameter for a smoother ride.

If I could mow with the larger tractor without destroying my yard I think it would be a better option long term. As a note I do not want more then one machine in the garage. I know its cheaper to buy a lawn mower than the drive over deck, but not what I want to do. Any opinions?
    I can share my experience of upgrading from a 1025r to a 2038r which are both oversized for the amount of grass I mow. I’m on three acres of Harwood forest with a wee bit of grass to mow, including stone walls, trees, circular driveway, and multi level lawn. A zero turn would make way more sense financially, physically, and operationally however, I hate leaving equipment outside and lack the storage for one. My 1025r never dug up my lawn, but gave me the pucker factor on the side hill. My 2038r with wheel spacers and the loader removed mows like a champ and doesn’t dig up the grass.

What I need are in this order, a 4r for cordwood, a forklift for wood pellets, a x758 for snow removal, and a zero turn for mowing and they all need to fit in one garage bay.

What I have is a 2038r with a loader, 3pt skidding winch, pallet forks, snow push, and mower deck, which amazing all fit in one garage bay. This machine has an amazing amount of versatility and capabilities!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    I can give you some insight, as I did the same thing (and a backhoe was a big part of my decision too).

The 2038 feels a lot bigger than the 1025. There are definitely some maneuvers that I could do before that I can not now. I have 3.5 acres and about a half acre of garden that I maintain with my machine. It feels bigger, but in reality it isn't much larger. I took a picture of my 1025 sitting next to my 2038 on the day it was delivered because I was shocked at how similar in size they were.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181003_104715.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	674216

That being said, I have found uses for the backhoe that justified (in my mind) the almost $8k attachment on the 2038. The loader capacity is easily double that of my old 1025R. I was able to unload a pallet of tile (BOL says 1129lbs) from the back of a lifted F250. That was about the limit, but it handled it just fine.

I do mow 2-ish of my acres with the 2038R (well 1 time so far. The tractor arrived in October), but honestly with the 72" deck if your ground isn't perfectly level you're going to notice the side to side difference. For back acreage that no one 'judges' you for, it's perfectly fine and speedy. For the front yard, we still use a LA145 with a 48" deck. That said, mowing with the 2038 is very comfortable and the CommandCut height adjustment is super cool. (As long as you don't break the actuator I hear $$). I have not noticed any ill effects on my land from the heavier machine, and I have the R4 tires.

Snow removal implements are a different story. The new front 3-point is neat, but way over built for a 2-series machine. The snowblower (59") weighs over 500 lbs and I have not been able to figure out how to get it to not tear up the asphalt. I'm having a similar issue with the 366FMB, although it's much better than the blower. I never had that issue with the 1025. The front implements were simply lighter.

In the end, no one on the internet can tell you if its the right call for you. The cost to upgrade to me, out the door after considering my trade in was somewhere in the low 30's, including a backhoe, 72" mower, snowblower, and every option they offer on the base machine. At the 0% option that's just north of $500 a month. So I tell myself that I need to get $500 worth out of it every month.

If it were me, I wouldn't buy another 1025 just to get the backhoe. If you're going to buy a new machine, buy one that will outlast the projects you have in your immediate future and the ones you haven't even dreamed up yet. There's nothing worse than the feeling of getting a new machine only to realize it isn't enough to do the project you had in mind.
    2018 2038R/220R Loader/Single Point/270B Backhoe/72D AutoConnect/Dual Rear SCV/Front 3pt/LED Worklights/iMatch
    59" Snowblower
    366 Front Blade
    36" Artillian Forks
    Heavy Hitch
    Land Pride RTR1558 Reverse Rotation Tiller
    TSC Post Hole Digger
    TSC 6ft Landscape Rake
    60" Tartan Box Blade
    PTO Generator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

A backhoe - how much would you really use it - can you justify the $6k-$7k for use on 3 acres?

I’ve had my current tractor for 12 years now on my 6 acres. Sure - there were maybe 2 or 3 times I could have used a backhoe but used what I have and got it done with my loader.

Unloading pallets - are you sure a larger tractor has the lift capacity to unload what you want? Are you still going to have to split the pallets? I know what I can safely lift with my loader. When I pick anything up from a store like that I just make sure what I put on I can take off. If that means splitting a pallet before loading I do that. Much easier to split a pallet on the ground on the pavement at the store than trying to do it in the bed of a pickup.

Wow... nothing like talking a guy out of buying some new green paint. We're supposed to be ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING...
    HomesteadJoe and PJR832 like this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

While I can certainly appreciate using what you have to get the job done, having the right tool for the job sometimes makes all of the difference. My father-in-law is an apple farmer, and I have watched him for years get by with the plain IH 484 on the farm. No loader. Digging boulders by hand, attaching a chain, getting a few guys to push it onto a rock sled, moving driveway gravel by wheelbarrow, moving mulch and dirt by wheelbarrow, etc... the list goes on and on. Sure, it can be done without the right tools, but at what cost (time isn't free...)? Watching him has given me a lot of ideas on how to accomplish various tasks, but I would never go back to not having the loader (for instance).

On the backhoe, I haven't owned it long enough to have great stories about how it saved me hours or days of work, but I looked at it like this: I have a short list (5-10 projects) that could really benefit from a backhoe. If I were to go through the hassle of renting a Mini Ex to get them done, I would likely be in the $4k + range when I was done. That's just the projects I have on a list, I figured that it would be like the loader (and specifically the forks) - you have no idea what you're going to use them for until you have them.

Just my view on things. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I value my time well above my money.
    2018 2038R/220R Loader/Single Point/270B Backhoe/72D AutoConnect/Dual Rear SCV/Front 3pt/LED Worklights/iMatch
    59" Snowblower
    366 Front Blade
    36" Artillian Forks
    Heavy Hitch
    Land Pride RTR1558 Reverse Rotation Tiller
    TSC Post Hole Digger
    TSC 6ft Landscape Rake
    60" Tartan Box Blade
    PTO Generator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    I replaced my 1020 with the 2038R and am very happy with it. I kept my 1025R and use them both.
    HomesteadJoe likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    This is why I asked how dry your property is. This is what my 2032 does do my grass, just by driving over it. No ballast, just the tractor and loader.

Name:	034.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	6.41 MB 
ID:	674232

Name:	035.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	5.59 MB 
ID:	674234

Name:	039.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	6.03 MB 
ID:	674236

This is what happens if I stop (in this case to pick up a three point implement on the imatch):

Name:	036.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	7.36 MB 
ID:	674238

We had a lot of rain this last summer (and fall, and winter). Now this is after days of not raining, but still, all that rain made the ground soft. If your ground is mostly dry, nothing will happen to it when a large 2R drives over it (unless you have 4WD engaged or lock the diff). But if your area is like mine, and you get a lot of rain sometimes, that thing will completely destroy your property if you mow with it.

To give you some perspective, I used to mow with a 1025R. It would not damage anything except in extra wet spots, where it absolutely devastated the ground (I hate to think what the 2032R would do in those spots, but I don't plan to find out). That's why I got rid of the 1025, my only justification for owning it was to have one machine for all jobs, but it was a terrible mower on my property. Turf tires didn't change anything except the degree/depth of damage. I borrowed a neighbor's 1023E with turf tires once, trying to find out if that was the answer. It wasn't. The previous year, I only had this problem in May and early June, when the rains are normally heavy. Summer 2018 was a nightmare.

What works for one of us does not necessarily work for all of us, and vice versa. If your 1025R never damages your grass, you may be fine with 2032/38. If it does...ouch.
    HomesteadJoe likes this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast