Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: FEL Jerking

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-03-2019 @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks

Question FEL Jerking

Good day. Last year I bought a 790 with FEL and Backhoe with 147 hours on it. I tried to use the FEL and it jerked quite a bit. After research (thanks to this site) I changed all the fluids and cleaned the screen filter. It worked great for the last few hours I used it. I recently tried to use it and again, it's jerking like crazy. My reseach seems to indicate either a clogged fitting, bad oil, air in the system (rubber hose leak) or a dirty filter (screen). My question is, can I remove the screen filter without losing all the hydraulic oil? Anyone know what rubber hose may be the culprit? Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0381.JPG  
    goat704! likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,306 Posts
    If it worked great after cleaning the screen - and now it isn't after a couple hours use - clean the screen again.

You aren't going to pull the screen without loosing most of your fluid. The best you could do is capture it in a very clean container, strain it twice, and reuse it. It's likely you will need to do this a couple times if the screen keeps getting clogged.

After 2-3 times of cleaning it you would hopefully be done - then you could add fresh fluid.

Curious to know - what all was clogging the screen? That could be a hint to what is going on.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

xcopterdoc (03-05-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,612 Posts
    Stan gave spot-on advice.

Give us some more information on what happened and what was on the screen, we may be able to give better advice.
    Gizmo2 and PJR832 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Atlantahank,

I learned a trick a few years ago when I was trucking; I picked up a piece of tramp steel that cut the fuel return line on the truck's fuel tank, and had to replace the line and fitting on the bottom of the tank. And it had 100 gallons of fuel in it. I didn't believe that we would be able to replace the hose and fitting withoiut completely draining the tank. But we did in about 15 minutes. Slick as all get out.

If you have a wet/dry vac and someone to help you, using the cone suction tool, place it into the hydraulic oil fill with a rag around it to seal it. Also apply masking tape around the vent pipe to seal that. Once you start the vacuum and have a good pull, remove the plug that secures the filter and remove the filter and clean it. Keep a clean container under the drain, just in case. But you should be able to clean the filter and replace the filter and drain plug.

I used this method to install the transmission heater on my 955 without issue, which is very similar to removing the suction filter.

Dave
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    What you likely have is yack growing in your hyd fluid due to water. Drain, remove clogged screen and filter. Try to wash out with diesel fuel or kero as best ya can with the screen and filter removed. Replace filter, reinstall screen. Fill with new fluid. May take more than once to get it all out. Now find out where the water is getting in. Most likely the rubber boot around the gear shift or a broken off vent line at rear if rockshaft area.
    Gizmo2, IndianaJim, OxPath and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 PM
    Thanks

Good suggestions

Good suggestions by others but I would ask if it's just the FEL that's jerking? If so, you may have a coupling problem and or an issue with the loader control. If it's just the loader, try removing and replacing the couplers going to the loader, cycling the loader in all directions, maybe even cracking the lines going to the cylinders and see if you have air bleeding out. If the backhoe is on the tractor, check the functions and remove and re-seat those couplers to make sure they aren't causing the issue even when using the FEL. Couplers are usually the weak point in hydraulics. O rings go bad, dirt and water can enter etc. so those are normally the first place I look for an issue with hydraulics. Fortunately they are also pretty inexpensive and easy to deal with.

If it's all hydraulic functions, then concentrate on more of a system issue like gunk/water in the fluid. Personally, I'd not worry about catching the fluid and recycling it. It's not cheap but lots less expensive than tearing into the tractor because water is trapped in the system and doesn't come out. You could also send a sample of the fluid out for analysis and that could tell you if there are excessive wear, water, contaminants in the fluid.

Treefarmer
    jdforever likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-03-2019 @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks

FEL Lerking

Good morning, I appreciate the feedback. The screen appeared to be clogged with thick oil, not significantly, but that strainer (filter screen) is pretty dense and it looks like it woudn't take much to clog it. I'll drain, clean, refill and let you know if it cures the issue. In addition, I'll recheck the backhoe to confirm whether or not it's affecting all the hydraulics. Thanks again.
    BigJim55 and jdforever like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with the above post, reseat all the hydraulic quick connects, they can look good but one can be just a little off and screw things up. It seems a little strange such a low hour machine would be plugging up the filter screen.
    jdforever likes this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantahank View Post
    Good morning, I appreciate the feedback. The screen appeared to be clogged with thick oil, not significantly, but that strainer (filter screen) is pretty dense and it looks like it woudn't take much to clog it. I'll drain, clean, refill and let you know if it cures the issue. In addition, I'll recheck the backhoe to confirm whether or not it's affecting all the hydraulics. Thanks again.
    That “thick oil” or “yack” as xcopterdoc called it sounds like algae to me, I suspect it’s grown back.
    Gizmo2, IndianaJim and BigJim55 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 10:51 AM
    Thanks
    There are several threads about algae in hydraulic oil, but none that I read mentioned exactly what to use or how much.
    They all seem to mention that the same algeacide thats used in diesel will work in hydraulic fluid, but Id pick one and call their tech support and ask.

One other possibility, if you have no water in the system, and no leaks from bad seals/boots.
    I have had some old Hy-Gard, both regular and low viscosity, that separated or had quite a bit of dark "crud" in the bottom of the jugs. It was pretty old, but if it can happen sitting on a shelf, it can happen sitting in a tractor that doesnt see much use.
    From the low hours, Id suspect it sat for very long periods.
    If thats what happened, you may need another fluid change or two to get it all out.
    Id suspect that even if its algae, and you use something to kill it, youd still need a change or two to get all the crud out...but xcopterdoc is the one that deals with that kind of thing a lot more regularly than most of us.
    Id be interested to know if he has ever seen the fluid with that crud in it.

In my case, it was like the fluid itself was darker as well, but also had even darker stuff, resembled dirt, in the bottom of the jug.
    mark02tj likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast