Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 2025 first impressions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks

2025 first impressions

So, got to spend a few hours on the 2025R yesterday...my first thoughts.

Overall, completely first timer friendly and idiot prof MOSTLY. I’m not a complete novice to tractors, but compared to the older units I’m used to - this is sooo much nicer.

Didn’t get to play with the backhoe, but did with the loader. Took the new 647 tiller out of the truck bed, loaded into the bucket and moved to storage flawlessly. The loader is a tad jerky - but that’s likely more operator than machine. Trying to line everything up in one stop with tailgate (and not damage the truck) was surprisingly easy.

Other observations

- bucket hooks are a must add
    - a bucket piranha bar would be very useful
    - pallet forks are my next purchase for sure
    - just the right size for my 6’2 260# frame. Not so small like the old ‘bota that I feel cramped - but not so big like the bigger tractors I’m used to that I worry about fitting between things.

Only complaint- why does everything Deere have to be so hard to shift? Shifting between high/low range is a challenge for some reason. The handle popped off many times when trying to shift it to start. It’s minor, but worth mentioning.

Also, the toolbox placement IS weird. And the ROPS looks odd to me. Deceivingly high - thought I was fine pulling into the old shed - until I heard the dreaded crack. Fortunately I was going very slow and stopped before any damage.
    Gizmo2, Levi, greenharley and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    I got my 2025r a week ago. Sorry no pictures yet. I noticed the same issues with shifting. I tend to shift to neutral when turning it off so I don't have any problems starting it but 25% of the time I can't shift into gear without first lightly pressing the forward or reverse pedal. I hear they losen up a little as the get broken in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    greenharley and PJR832 like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    Other impressions I had were great. I have over 10 hours on it already and have been impressed.

The only problems i have had are dealer issues. I had to take the seat apart to get the plastic off, the auto connect deck wouldn't re-connect due to the draft arms being too tight, the parking brake was so loose the tractor would roll on the slightest incline (major safety issue). They also forgot to install the light guards (on the purchase order), and forgot to deliver other parts. Implements were also set up with the lift pins in the highest holes instead of the lower ones for limited cat 1. That meant they were inches of the ground. On top of that they had a kid deliver it who didn't even attempt to show how anything worked or disconnected. Just had me sign, unloaded, and drove off. They also told me an earlier delivery date and I stopped in the day before it to take care of paperwork and they realized when showing it to me that it wasn't ready, so it got pushed a week. Then I got another date/time and had to leave work early to be there and got a call an half hour after the planned delivery time saying they didn't have a driver to deliver and needed to wait until the next day.

So it's could have gone better, but the tractor is awesome. Dealer said he will make it up to me... We will see what that means.

Get Ken's differential lock pedal extension - it is amazing if you get into any mud.

Kennyd, greenharley and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twar View Post
    I got my 2025r a week ago. Sorry no pictures yet. I noticed the same issues with shifting. I tend to shift to neutral when turning it off so I don't have any problems starting it but 25% of the time I can't shift into gear without first lightly pressing the forward or reverse pedal. I hear they losen up a little as the get broken in.
    Quote Originally Posted by toymaker View Post

Only complaint- why does everything Deere have to be so hard to shift? Shifting between high/low range is a challenge for some reason. The handle popped off many times when trying to shift it to start. Itís minor, but worth mentioning.

Also, the toolbox placement IS weird. And the ROPS looks odd to me. Deceivingly high - thought I was fine pulling into the old shed - until I heard the dreaded crack. Fortunately I was going very slow and stopped before any damage.
    One note, as for the shifting, it is tight, sometimes if it won't go easily just step on one of the go peddles, that releases enough pressure to make it easily go into to gear. Other times all it takes is releasing the brake, but it gets easier. The toolbox was something that must have been forgotten in the original design so they scrambled and put it in the front bumper. I added one to the rear and now I have two, and keep lesser used items in the front one and more frequently used things in the rear. I use my 2025R for many different things on our little hobby/horse farm, from cleaning the barnyard, discing, tilling, hilling potatoes, harvesting potatoes, brush hogging and it is also my primary mower at our house and sometimes even mowing my in laws 4 acre lawn. There isn't much I could do with a bigger tractor except for doing things faster with larger implements, this tractor even became our round bale stacker in the shed because it gets around so much easier because of it's size.

Check it out, just a little of what we do with our 2025R.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8e..._as=subscriber
    Busman and greenharley like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Thanks
    I have similar observations with mine. I’ve got about 30 hours so far. I also had a heck of a time getting the plastic off the seat. So far pretty happy with it. I really like the auto connect deck.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    I also like my new 2025R but noted similar difficulties shifting into gear..It often helps to shift into and out of gear before setting the parking brake.

My first impressions:

Contrary to the operators manual, there is no 4WD indicator light. My 10 acres are flat and hilly so it is important to know when 4WD is active...
    I learned the hard way when I failed to put it in 4wd and went down a slope where I almost lost it due to lack of braking skid.
    I now leave it in 4WD all the time unless on the road in transit.

Lubricating the loader, mower and tractor was no problem except for the one zerk on the front drive. With just a small hole I had to line up the fitting by
    turning the flywheel until it lined up with the hole. I found I had to use a mini grease gun with a 6" tube shaft slightly angled( 5$ tractor supply).
    That design must have been from an engineer who hated people who wanted to do normal maintenance. I would hate to have the tractor trucked into the dealer to grease one fitting!

The tractor is noisier that my 770 and cold starting belches white smoke until reaching smooth idle. I found, from this site, a post which indicated alternately using a glow plug sequence, alternating "ON" four times in cold weather significantly reduced smoking starts and noise.

The front toolbox is a john Deere cruel joke...much to flimsy and small.....

The loader is a bit jerky as compared to my 25 year old 770... but last work in wet ditch the loader helped push me out . I just need more time to
    get used to the differences.

I love the hydro-static tranny compared to the gear drive 770. Very good peddle controls.

The 3pt hitch does not go up as high as I would like but that just may be an adjustment. But it worked out great this winter using a heavy
    Ford snow blade.

I had to keep the ROP down to enter into my garage. As a result, I am advised not to use the seat belt. That I need to get used to since i always
    used the seat belt on the 770.

Other than those pesky issues, This tractor meets all my needs from landscaping work, mowing and snow plowing. The extra height was worth
    the few dollars more it costs over the 1025R.

Overall impression is very favorable...

This post is based on my limited experience for the first 25Hours..

Charlie
    Busman likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    I use my 2025R for many different things on our little hobby/horse farm, from cleaning the barnyard, discing, tilling, hilling potatoes, harvesting potatoes, brush hogging and it is also my primary mower at our house and sometimes even mowing my in laws 4 acre lawn. There isn't much I could do with a bigger tractor except for doing things faster with larger implements, this tractor even became our round bale stacker in the shed because it gets around so much easier because of it's size.
    Pat.... I'm just curious here about your further thoughts on the 2025R. I know you have a bigger ag type tractor to assist you in other chores when needed, and that you moved up from a 1023E to the 2025R.

So here's the question... if you could have only one tractor to do everything at your place, would it still be the 2025R?
    PJR832 likes this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Pat. You have a problem with your 2025 going into neutral? Can’t tell you how many times I’ve hit neutral just for it to die when I get up. Wish neutral was center and then over to where it basically locked in. It’s hard to even get to neutral. I find myself going back in forth shifting when I need neutral. I’ve only got about 3-7 hours on it. Hopefully it gets better.

Not once did my toolbox on my 1025 TLB get in the way. It was on the back side over the fender. Not sure why it moved with the new 2025’s. I’m pretty sure it also got slightly smaller.
    Last edited by Littlegreenmachine; 04-21-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    PJR832 likes this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gls1320 View Post
    Pat.... I'm just curious here about your further thoughts on the 2025R. I know you have a bigger ag type tractor to assist you in other chores when needed, and that you moved up from a 1023E to the 2025R.

So here's the question... if you could have only one tractor to do everything at your place, would it still be the 2025R?
    That's a very difficult question to answer. If not for the hay that we make I could actually do everything with the 2025R. But hay making aside, my answer would probably still be no, if this were it and I had no access to bigger tractors I'd more than like settle on a 3R or possibly a large frame 2R. Personally I'd like more lift height, I really wish JD put the 220R on the new 2025R and just decreased the hydraulic pressure to get desired lift capacity, then we would still have more lift height.
    Overall I can't say enough good things about my 2025, though I have questioned some of JD's choices.
    Busman and dadtoandrew like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post
    Pat. You have a problem with your 2025 going into neutral? Canít tell you how many times Iíve hit neutral just for it to die when I get up. Wish neutral was center and then over to where it basically locked in. Itís hard to even get to neutral. I find myself going back in forth shifting when I need neutral. Iíve only got about 3-7 hours on it. Hopefully it gets better.

Not once did my toolbox on my 1025 TLB get in the way. It was on the back side over the fender. Not sure why it moved with the new 2025ís. Iím pretty sure it also got slightly smaller.
    Sometimes when pulling it out of low it will go right past neutral and into high, it is not as bad as when it was new, give yours more time to break in. I have 216 hours on mine and things have broken in nicely.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    JD iMATCH
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Elk Creek Acres

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Littlegreenmachine†(04-21-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com