Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 4115 electrical issue

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Thanks

4115 electrical issue

Hey all. I’ve been reading posts on here for a while and after the day I had today thought I’d join and see if anyone had any insight
    So, I ran my 4115 for about an hour and it just shut down. Then just clicked but wouldn’t start. Took the battery and had it tested. Shop said it was in need of charge but okay.
    So went back and reinstalled. Cleaned connections etc, then jumped it. It ran fine for the rest of my tasks. Shut it down and it wouldn’t start again. Just clicked. Put it on a charger for a while and still just clicks. Will jump start. Thing that bothers me is why did it die?
    Any insight would be welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,576 Posts
    Welcome to GTT,
    Do you have a voltmeter? I'm suspecting the battery, but some voltage tests would help prove that.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    No but Iím gonna get one. I suspect
    Battery as well and was a little suspicious when the autozone man told me it was good but needing charged.

The batter reads date 12/15. The guy who owned it before me let it sit outside last couple years.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks
    I put my money on a bad battery. I do fleet work and with the tester we have when it states "recharge and test" the battery is no good. These modern battery testers to not put enough load on the battery. They rely on a computer and only put about 1/4 if any load on the battery. In my opinion if you put a good load tester on it and hit it with 1/2 of the CCA it will fail.
    Superglidesport likes this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    So I put in a new battery and the meter reads nothing while engine running. Also, the indicator bulb doesn’t come on when the key is turned on. Tested the bulb. It is good. Any ideas.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbone View Post
    ...I ran my 4115 for about an hour and it just shut down. Then just clicked but wouldn’t start. Took the battery and had it tested. Shop said it was in need of charge ..... So went back and reinstalled. Cleaned connections etc, then jumped it. It ran fine for the rest of my tasks. Shut it down and it wouldn’t start again. Just clicked. Put it on a charger for a while and still just clicks. Will jump start. Thing that bothers me is why did it die?
    "Put it on a charger for a while" - did it show a full charge before you took it off the charger? It's a bit odd that it'll jump start - wondering if your charger is working properly. Does your tractor have an alternator? What recharges the battery?

So I put in a new battery and the meter reads nothing while engine running. Also, the indicator bulb doesn’t come on when the key is turned on. Tested the bulb. It is good. Any ideas.
    Not sure I understand. So, it runs with the new battery? Is your meter faulty? Is your tractor still shutting off? Wondering if it could be an air flow, fuel, or spark issue.

Just a last thought after re-reading rddiehl's post: Does the "new" battery have enough cranking amps and cold cranking amps for your tractor?
    Last edited by Tractor_Barbie; 04-28-2019 at 04:03 AM.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes. Battery has enough juice to get it done. The tractor runs fine with the fully charged battery. It’s not showing any charging volts on the meter though and yet the battery charging light is not illuminated and I’ve checked the bulb. I’m afraid the new battery is going to drain as well. The alternator seems have spark coming from it. What could be next. Voltage regulator? I don’t have a shop manual for its location.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-30-2019 @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    Yes. Battery has enough juice to get it done. The tractor runs fine with the fully charged battery. Itís not showing any charging volts on the meter though and yet the battery charging light is not illuminated and Iíve checked the bulb. Iím afraid the new battery is going to drain as well. The alternator seems have spark coming from it. What could be next. Voltage regulator? I donít have a shop manual for its location.
    What concerns me is the recharging effort. It appears something is either draining your battery or not recharging it - that's why I asked about your alternator. I'm just not sure at this point. Hopefully someone else can figure out what's wrong. I'm sorry I couldn't help you.
    Jethro = L118, 42" Deck, 20 HP, No Clue What Year He Is, but I'm in Love!
    17P Cart

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Me too. I’m trying to find a way to test the alternator other than off the battery to see if it’s putting out voltage. If it is it has to be somewhere after that. Does anyone know how to test that?

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    So just checked alternator. Got about 14 volts coming off it while running. What’s next? Voltage regulator?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast