• 2 Post By JD 850
  • 1 Post By tonybcrazy

Thread: John Deere 850 clutch

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 850 clutch

I had mowed (bush hogged) a pasture for an hour, depressed the clutch, put PTO in Off and tractor in 8th (Hi) gear then drove down the pavement for ten minutes to the next field. As I decelerated turning in the temp light came on so I drove straight to the spicket 150' away. Raised hood ran water over the radiator (95 degrees that day) and the light went out very soon. Got back on the tractor and could not get it in gear (grinding as if no clutch), but the PTO would shift into gear when I depressed
    the clutch.
    Let her set overnite and problem still there. Remembered the "Freeing up rusted/stuck clutch" trick of pulling up to a tree, but the back wheels just dig down. Had the tractor for about a year (made 78-88) so clutch may have just went out, but it never even slipped before this. Any ideas would be welcomed? It's a two stage clutch. Had to crank it in gear to get it back home.
    Last edited by JD 850; 05-31-2019 at 03:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 PM
    Thanks
    I am not a 850 owner

but what you describe is not a bad clutch specificly........it is a issue with the linkage or pressure plate not DISengageing the clutch when the pedal is depressed

a bad clutch would be actually slipping

so something probably has failed in the linkage or pressure plate....i would start by looking at the linkage and make sure its adjusted correctly and that a pin or clip hasnt come loose..

here is the linkage diagram for reference https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...pgId/212714774

it would be extremely rare there is any relationship between the engine overheating and the clutch issue you dscribe on that tractor in my opinion...so as to the over heating i would look at it seperately and since you mention brushhogging i would suspect radiator needing cleaned due to debris...
    Last edited by ttazzman; 05-31-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    PaDave, rtgt, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanx and I agree. My thoughts exactly.

It had an overheating problem when I got it, but solve that by:

1) Cleaning radiator fins - Didn't solve
    2) Flushing radiator 5 times (real rusty water) - Didn't solve
    3) Replacing radiator cap - Solved

1) Included the overheating in the post because that's the chain of events and never know
    when someone will chime in with that question or a "Got-it" reply.
    2) No telling when the hydraulic oil in the tranny's been changed. Rear end has been breached
    cause there's rubber sealant in the seams.

Clutch linkage is in tact and the PTO can be engage when depressing clutch beyond halfway into
    the second stage. Hopefully somebody had a 750, 850 or 950 and can shed some light or gota
    break her open/in half.
    rtgt, BigJim55, theduke and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 850 View Post
    Thanx and I agree. My thoughts exactly.

It had an overheating problem when I got it, but solve that by:

1) Cleaning radiator fins - Didn't solve
    2) Flushing radiator 5 times (real rusty water) - Didn't solve
    3) Replacing radiator cap - Solved

1) Included the overheating in the post because that's the chain of events and never know
    when someone will chime in with that question or a "Got-it" reply.
    2) No telling when the hydraulic oil in the tranny's been changed. Rear end has been breached
    cause there's rubber sealant in the seams.

Clutch linkage is in tact and the PTO can be engage when depressing clutch beyond halfway into
    the second stage. Hopefully somebody had a 750, 850 or 950 and can shed some light or gota
    break her open/in half.

some further comments ....(also keeps your post current )

seems like you cant get a true understanding of the PTO being engageable since you cant attempt it with the engine running

so to me it takes me back to the primary problem...

since the clutch linkage is intact and appears to be working ...i would assume you get some form of feel in the clutch of depressing the pressure plate....if you have no feel at all then its probably a yolk or pressure plate failure....it appears from the parts diagrams that the yolk can be inspected from a top access plate

there is the possibility that the clutch is still working correctly........but the pilot bearing has frozzen up and keeping the imput shaft spinning even with the clutch disengaged.

just tossing out thoughts for your upcoming project let us know if you get it figured out
    Last edited by ttazzman; 05-31-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and theduke like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    I did some digging because thats just what I do.

Seems there is a possible adjustment of the pto pp that will allow more/better/different adjustment of the trans pp.

Sounds confusing....I get it

post was on tbn

It does make some sense and the bottom line was...It would buy you a amount of ""time""...but likely a new clutch is in your future.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Fuzzy on replying: new to site

ttazzman,

Sorry if I muddied the waters; I crank the tractor, it won't go in gear, but the PTO will go in gear and spin when I let out on the clutch pedal.
    PTO disengages when I depress the clutch pedal. What's not to grasp about that? I think I got it, but maybe I'm missing your point so please
    elaborate? Seems to me, that part of the mechanism is functioning properly. Is there something I'm missing?

Gear shifter grinds if trying to put in gear while running. Shut the engine off and shifter goes in every gear. Hi/Low range goes into gear
    whether engine is running or not (using clutch when running)

Just trying to be clear with this problem...and thank you both for trying to help me. I looked at an IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) of the clutch
    assembly and there are more parts in there than "probably" in the whole motor (Joking). Even has a spring that looks like it was robbed from my
    old 1962 F100 Uni-body brake shoes.
    rtgt likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    this is one thread I found....not here @gtt but ..
    here it is

John Deere 850 problem

look into here..similar.. 870 Dual Stage Clutch Question

I just googled your thread title.....seems to be more issues with 950/970/and bigger tractors with similar problems.

Theres another I have lost that described the adjustment in detail.....
    rtgt and ttazzman like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 850 View Post
    ttazzman,

Sorry if I muddied the waters; I crank the tractor, it won't go in gear, but the PTO will go in gear and spin when I let out on the clutch pedal.
    PTO disengages when I depress the clutch pedal. What's not to grasp about that? I think I got it, but maybe I'm missing your point so please
    elaborate? Seems to me, that part of the mechanism is functioning properly. Is there something I'm missing?

Gear shifter grinds if trying to put in gear while running. Shut the engine off and shifter goes in every gear. Hi/Low range goes into gear
    whether engine is running or not (using clutch when running)

Just trying to be clear with this problem...and thank you both for trying to help me. I looked at an IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) of the clutch
    assembly and there are more parts in there than "probably" in the whole motor (Joking). Even has a spring that looks like it was robbed from my
    old 1962 F100 Uni-body brake shoes.

Naw you didnt muddy the waters.....i was having a brain fart ....it happens sometimes
    rtgt likes this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    this is one thread I found....not here @gtt but ..
    here it is

John Deere 850 problem

look into here..similar.. 870 Dual Stage Clutch Question

I just googled your thread title.....seems to be more issues with 950/970/and bigger tractors with similar problems.

Theres another I have lost that described the adjustment in detail.....
    theduke,

Starting to lean toward tranny problem. Changed Hydraulic oil, cleaned filtering screen and adjusted clutch that didn't need adjusting with less pedal play. Cranked tractor:
    1) Depress clutch and engaged PTO, ok.
    2) With range shifter in neutral Tranny shifts into gear, but range shifter won't (grinds). Next, put tranny in neutral and range shifter goes into High and Low range, but tranny won't shift into gear (grinds). Puzziling!

Oh and thanx for taking the time to lookup and send those sites, very informative.
    rtgt and ttazzman like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    Do you have a dual stage clutch or single stage? 850 came both ways apparently

Can you start the tractor get it into gear and not be moving?

Looking at the parts diagram it looks like both clutch versions have a trans input shaft similar to my 650 which is piloted in the flywheel. It uses a plain bronze bearing which can only be lubed with the tractor split. My 650's bearing got dried out to the point if I was at operating rpms, let the clutch out in neutral, then depressed the clutch again to try and shift, the spinning trans didn't have enough drag to counter act the pilot bearing trying to spin the transmission which meant grinding to get into gear. If I started the tractor and never let the clutch out before going into gear it was ok.

The only way to cure this is to split the tractor to lube the bearing. Coinual stage clutch I have done was on an older kubota and it required special tools to set the clutch up. Not sure if they are required for Deere but I would do some homework before tearing into if if that is in the cards.
    Treefarmer likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements