Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 2520 with 62D mowing deck

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks

2520 with 62D mowing deck

Last fall I lost one of the cotter pins holding the bar that sits between the two arms (arrow), and mangled it like a wet noodle. Yesterday I installed the new bar, new cotter pins with 4 washers getting things ready to mount the mower deck today.

Today on the lawn I wrestled with the deck, but got it connected. I pulled back into the garage to see if I needed to level it. I noticed that I had already lost a new cotter pin and washer without even starting the mower.

In order to get the outside washer and cotter pin installed I had to squeeze the arms together with a bar clamp then installed the washer and changed from a regular to a hairpin cotter for strength. I backed out of the garage and heard a bang. I stopped and saw that the other outside cotter had broken, and the hair pin cotter was nowhere to be found, and the bar just hanging down.

There is just to much force pulling the two arms apart, and putting way to much pressure on the cotter pins, and I don't know why.
    Could anybody with a 2520 and 62D deck just reach down and see if your "bar" is under similar pressure or is it "loosey goosey" as I'm thinking it should be ?

Had to stop and give myself a break for the evening only to do battle tomorrow. I must have assembled something back assward, but haven't figured it out yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 62D-mower-lift-2019-06-03-2.jpg  
    John Deere JD 2520, 62D, 53" bucket, 200cx loader, JD Ballast box, iMatch quick hitch, #46 backhoe, Artillian forks, 4 halogen lights with horse blinders, Frontier SB1154 snow blower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,306 Posts
    You must have either or both the arms #10 & #20 backwards. The inset on the rear end of those arms needs to be inward like shown in the diagram.

When they are installed properly the whole setup is actually loose.
    BigJim55 and firemachine69 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

smalltown (06-04-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply coaltrain. Nope the arms are orientated correctly. I checked hoping you were onto something. They looked ok.
    I just removed the lift linkage with the mower under the tractor thinking maybe I might have bent one of the big arms last fall.
    They are quite stout I can't imagine bending them, but I checked anyway and they appear to be ok.
    Last evening my Nephew "straightened" the original rod with a 100 ton press just in case I was sold an incorrect rod length. The old and new rod are identical both length and drilled holes.

Going to reassemble and try again.
    I know it's going to be something stupid on my part when I finally figure it out. Meantime I can hear the grass growing !
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere JD 2520, 62D, 53" bucket, 200cx loader, JD Ballast box, iMatch quick hitch, #46 backhoe, Artillian forks, 4 halogen lights with horse blinders, Frontier SB1154 snow blower

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
    Thanks for the reply coaltrain. Nope the arms are orientated correctly. I checked hoping you were onto something. They looked ok.
    I just removed the lift linkage with the mower under the tractor thinking maybe I might have bent one of the big arms last fall.
    They are quite stout I can't imagine bending them, but I checked anyway and they appear to be ok.
    Last evening my Nephew "straightened" the original rod with a 100 ton press just in case I was sold an incorrect rod length. The old and new rod are identical both length and drilled holes.

Going to reassemble and try again.
    I know it's going to be something stupid on my part when I finally figure it out. Meantime I can hear the grass growing !
    Yeah - something just isn’t right.

When I assemble mine on the floor everything is super loose. In fact I remove it as a unit each fall before plowing season. When I install it again in the spring I first put the front end on then connect the rear.

Which gives me a thought. On the rear - the units that ride on the 3 point hitch arms - are they orientated correctly? Don’t know for sure if they can even be installed backwards or not....

I’ll go down to my tractor and take a pic right now.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Pic of rear lift mechanism - see if yours is the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCFFDA36-6DF0-4381-82FA-7F945985E86D.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	689436
    glc likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the photo.
    Yes mine were installed like that before I took off the adjustable arms as I pulled the linkage out.
    I started the reinstall by attaching the big arms, and then slide in the "bar" with washers, and placed the biggest cotter pins that would fit.
    The bar is loose like we thought it should be. The rear adjustable linkage will be installed after I take the wife to an appointment.
    I don't imagine the rear linkage puts any sideways stress on anything all it does is pull back and up.
    There is hope that I could get the lawn mowed this afternoon.

I'll post back here once it's all together.

Thanks for hanging in there with me coalltrain.
    glc, BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I put it all back together without a hitch. The bar is loose, and I mowed the grass.

Coaltrain I don't know what happened I can only think that somehow I had the big arm(s) not engaging properly where the "J" hook is on the deck. Something was torqueing at least one arm outward. Anyway all is good thanks again.

Now I've got to check my manual see if there is any adjustment to keep the 3 point hitch from dropping.
    glc and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Thanks

Now I've got to check my manual see if there is any adjustment to keep the 3 point hitch from dropping.
    Your rate of drop adjustment knob under the operator seat should adjust the rate of drop, completely closed it should stop any sagging-although there is acceptable leakdown for the 3pt, I can’t see it being so much during mowing to be noticeable.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I put it all back together without a hitch. The bar is loose, and I mowed the grass.

Coaltrain I don't know what happened I can only think that somehow I had the big arm(s) not engaging properly where the "J" hook is on the deck. Something was torqueing at least one arm outward. Anyway all is good thanks again.

Glad you got it going.

There is a thread here somewhere about these linkages on our tractors. I, along with some other people had the pins fall out because of the undersized cotter pins supplied. I changed all mine out - hope you did the same while you were at it.

Now about the 3-point hitch dropping. Maybe you know this but here goes anyway....

Deere decks are meant to hang underneath and not ride in the gauge wheels. Once you have the deck installed it needs to be leveled. If you need help with that let me know. I have the installation instructions for the 62D deck which goes over this.

Once the deck is leveled you control the height of cut with the rock shaft lever. You get the deck to the correct cutting height you want then slide the stop for the rock shaft lever up to where the lever is. Now each time you lower the deck it will be at that same height.

And once you have the deck at the cutting height you want, you adjust the gauge wheels so they are 1/8”-1/4” above the ground. That way they only touch the ground where it is uneven and stop the deck from scalping.

Let me know if you want the instructions. I can take pics of each page and post them here or send them to you in an email.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Sent you a private messag with my e-mail address,

I thought that I remembered the 3 point hitch would staying where I left it ?

Yes I use the rockshaft stop lever to where I want to repeat cuts at the same height.
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast