Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Need advice on purchase!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-05-2019 @ 05:53 PM
    Thanks

Need advice on purchase!

Hello all!

I’m new here but have been reading the forums for some time now. I’m finally ready to purchase my first tractor and could use some outside opinions! Sorry in advance for the long post! Looking forward to hearing your responses!

Background:

My wife and I recently purchased a new house out in the country. The previous owners renovated the house but completely neglected the outside property. As it is, we’ve got a lot of work to do. We have about 4.5 acres, 1.5 acre of which we mow, and the other 3 acres are wild, overgrown fenced pasture. We have a good sized 4 stall animal barn and a 500’ partially paved driveway. Not many trees but the land has gentle rolling hills. The ground is very rough in spots from a combination of left-over tree root systems, large semi-buried rocks (boulders), old post holes, oddly placed ridges and dips, trenching runs for utilities, ruts, etc. Currently we mow it with my father’s old JD 145 garden tractor. It takes forever and because the ground is so rough it really sucks to mow with it.

Plans for the property and tractor use:
    • Retain the ability to mow with a belly mower.
    • Re-grade the land in the yard to level out all the rough spots. Pretty much the entire yard will have some sort of surface grading done at some point. It really is that bad lol.
    • Re-grade the land right next to the house to fix some water runoff issues we have (This is a big project. Not big enough for a backhoe or dozer, but we will be moving A LOT of dirt around.)
    • Dig out and redo the 250’ section of gravel driveway.
    • Dig out, level, and regrade the perimeter and interior dirt floor of the barn to fix water runoff issues.
    • Pull out old fence posts and dig new post holes. Likely the whole perimeter of the property.
    • Bush hogging of the pasture.
    • Tilling out and maintaining a large garden.
    • We plan to have some livestock in a few years once our projects are done. Likely a small collection (herd, flock?) of goats and a meat cow or two. 4-H projects for the kids, etc.
    • And of course, whatever else one can imagine might pop up on a small hobby farm lol.

Additionally, there is an adjacent 7-acre plot of land behind our house that we plan on buying as soon as we can talk the owners into selling it. It is also a wild, overgrown pasture with lots of small to medium shrubs and briars. That would bring our total land to just over 10-11 acres. No woods, so no logging or creating trails and stuff to worry about for now. When we get the additional land, we will expand the yard to about 3 acres or so, giving us more to finish mow.

What tractor?

Now to the fun part, spend my money! I’ve researched as much as my eyes would let me and have pretty much decided on JD. Good brand recognition, good local dealer support, great parts availability, best mower deck mounting, good ergonomics, etc. All the real farmers in my area use JD or Case and Case doesn’t make a CUT so… My second choice would probably be Kioti but the dealer is about 50 miles away and I don’t care for the manual labor deck mounting and the front exposed steering gear.

JD 1025R:
    • + Good size, maneuverable.
    • + Cheapest of my 3 choices, most money left over for attachments. Still have money left over after purchase.
    • + Small enough to trailer with my current truck if I REALLY need to (I have a Ford Ranger, so even the 1025R is probably pushing it. No way will I be able to trailer the larger tractors.)
    • + Popular. Depends on who you ask, but the 1025R and the similar Kubota SCUT are the top selling tractors in the class.
    • - Small tires and lower ground clearance. Rough ride on rough ground.
    • - Looks like a garden tractor on steroids.
    • - Lacks the power and weight to run 5’ implements safely and effectively.
    • - Limited CAT-1 hitch. Might have issues running a hole auger that I need.
    • - Low(er) lifting capacity on both loader and 3-pt.
    • -Might not be “enough” tractor once we have the full 11 acres and are using it for more farm-type stuff than just cutting grass.

JD 2025R
    • + Larger tires and more ground height.
    • + Better operator visibility.
    • + More weight for more stability. Might be able to run certain 5’ implements.
    • + Slightly more 3pt lift capacity
    • + Looks more like a real tractor vs. 1025R
    • - Same powertrain as 1025R with same limitations.
    • - Same loader as 1025R
    • - Costs about $2500 more than the 1025R but not much more capability other than bigger tires.
    • -Most people seem to just skip the 2025R and get the 2032 or 2038. I’ve read this on the internet forums and have been told the same thing by two different dealers.
    • - Won’t be able to trailer it currently.

JD 2032R/2038R
    • + Even larger tires and ride height. Smoothest ride.
    • + Enough power to run whatever implement I would need.
    • + Looks like a real tractor. (We all know looks mean everything!)
    • + Command Cut feature for the MMM.
    • + More standard features that cost extra on the smaller tractors.
    • + Much better hydraulics and lifting capacity vs the smaller tractors.
    • + Won’t outgrow the tractor nearly as soon as I might a 1025R.
    • - Cost. Either of these tractors blow my budget out of the water. I’ll be able to get the MMM and the FEL and that’s about it until later.
    • - Size. Will be rather large and probably overkill for mowing the 1.5 acres of grass.
    • - I won’t be trailering this bad boy until I can get a HD pickup. Which will be a while.
    • - More potential maintenance issues in the future due to DPF and turbo (2038R).

The finance committee has approved up to $30K for this purchase. We can pay cash for it but will likely take advantage of the zero financing for the tractor and attachments so we can keep the money in the bank for emergencies.
    I’d like to eventually have the following attachments (in order of importance):
    FEL (will purchase with tractor)
    MMM (purchase with tractor)
    • Box blade
    PTO Tiller
    • Bush hog (either rent or buy used)
    • Land rake
    • Post hole digger (probably just rent it)
    PTO generator

My thought process started at the 1025. But I really want a bigger tractor for the weight, height, stability, and loader capacity. So I went to the 2025. Realized it was basically the same thing as the 1025 without any more power or capability. Started looking at the 2032. Has everything I’m looking for as far as a tractor goes. Then saw that the 2038 has even more power and PTO HP for ONLY ~$1500 more. Thought to myself this is what I need. Then I saw in person how big it was compared to the 1025 and started second guessing myself, especially after seeing the difference in price. I thought man this thing is really big for a mower. Have to keep reminding myself this is more than a mower; it’s a tractor and we have lots of projects for it other than mowing. If I get the most tractor I can afford, this is it. But is it money well spent?

I thought about getting a ZTR for the mowing but I'd rather not deal with storing and maintaining two machines. Besides, I'm spending big money on a tractor, I want to use it was much as I can to justify it lol.

Sorry again for the long post! Please, share your opinions and help me make up my mind. I probably missed something but I can answer any questions you might have.
    Last edited by FearTheDeere; 06-10-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Just my quick opinion....

The 1 series wonít be much better than what you are mowing with now. Small tires mean rough ride on uneven ground. It will be amplified in the rough pasture area.

The 2025 seems a good enough fit but it may leave you wanting with all the excavation work you have planned.

2032/2038 is the ticket in my opinion. Remember this is not just a mowing machine. Who cares if it looks too big to mow 1.5 acres. This tractor will serve you for many years to come.

I know you say you have a budget of $30k. Where did this number come from? You canít just pull a number out of the air.

The proper way to buy a tractor is to evaluate your needs, look at the implements needed first, then size the tractor to the implements. It sounds like a 60Ē brush hog would be in order. The 2025 can handle that without a problem with no hills.

Another thing - I didnít see a backhoe listed. With all your excavation projects that would be the ticket. But I understand about the added cost. So...leaning toward the 2032/2038 is in order in my opinion for heavier loader work which you certainly get into without a backhoe.

Take a look at the last 10-15 pages of the MCUT section. Our regular here Pat (pjr something) got a new 2025 recently. I for one am amazed at what he can do with it. But of course it takes a good operator get the most out of these small tractors.

One final word for now. Buy it once and buy it right. I see so many people who think the tractor they bought - usually a 1 series - is plenty enough only to end up upgrading a year or less later and taking a big financial hit. Review the budget - get a tractor that will serve your needs for the next 20 years. You just canít beat the 0% financing.
    gmissed, PJR832, bvbearcat and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

FearTheDeere†(06-10-2019), PJR832†(06-10-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks
    My two cents. Get the largest tractor you can swing for 11 acres. Get the FEL up front, don't wait. Skip the mmm and mow 1.5 acre yard with a regular mower. Later if you need to mow more, get a 3 point finish mower.
    Milharri, coaltrain, MrMiz and 3 others like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmylh For This Useful Post:

FearTheDeere†(06-10-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Just my quick opinion....

The 1 series wonít be much better than what you are mowing with now. Small tires mean rough ride on uneven ground. It will be amplified in the rough pasture area.

My concern as well. Wife and I both have poor back and neck health so all the extra bumps and jolts really take a toll. We're only 28/29, cant wait to feel what getting older has in store for us...

The 2025 seems a good enough fit but it may leave you wanting with all the excavation work you have planned.

2032/2038 is the ticket in my opinion. Remember this is not just a mowing machine. Who cares if it looks too big to mow 1.5 acres. This tractor will serve you for many years to come.

I know you say you have a budget of $30k. Where did this number come from? You canít just pull a number out of the air.

$30k came from the proceeds from our prior house sale. It is what we have allocated for the tractor purchase after putting some money into the savings account and paying off CC bills. Hence we can pay cash for it up to $30k. Would rather use JD's money for free and hold onto the $30k ourselves. Likely put into a high interest savings account and pay JD from it. We earn the interest instead of JD and we have money in case we need it for emergencies.

The proper way to buy a tractor is to evaluate your needs, look at the implements needed first, then size the tractor to the implements. It sounds like a 60Ē brush hog would be in order. The 2025 can handle that without a problem with no hills.

Another thing - I didnít see a backhoe listed. With all your excavation projects that would be the ticket. But I understand about the added cost. So...leaning toward the 2032/2038 is in order in my opinion for heavier loader work which you certainly get into without a backhoe.

We were originally going to get a backhoe but that really limited us to a 1025R if we hoped to stay in the budget. Then this spring my father in law bought a small walk behind backhoe at an auction. Figured we could just use his if we needed to. That freed up enough money to look at bigger tractors.

Take a look at the last 10-15 pages of the MCUT section. Our regular here Pat (pjr something) got a new 2025 recently. I for one am amazed at what he can do with it. But of course it takes a good operator get the most out of these small tractors.

One final word for now. Buy it once and buy it right. I see so many people who think the tractor they bought - usually a 1 series - is plenty enough only to end up upgrading a year or less later and taking a big financial hit. Review the budget - get a tractor that will serve your needs for the next 20 years. You just canít beat the 0% financing.

Buy once, cry once. I'm trying to avoid this problem. I don't want to have buyers remorse and either not buy enough tractor or buy too much tractor.
    Last edited by FearTheDeere; 06-10-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    mark02tj and coaltrain like this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    My two cents. Get the largest tractor you can swing for 11 acres. Get the FEL up front, don't wait. Skip the mmm and mow 1.5 acre yard with a regular mower. Later if you need to mow more, get a 3 point finish mower.
    I missed the part of getting the loader later. Never order one of these tractors without a loader.

I also agree to either use what you have now to mow or get something else as a small dedicated mowing machine. These belly mowers are very expensive. You could buy a decent zero turn for the same price.
    MrMiz, jimmylh, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    We will be getting at least the FEL, MMM, and a boxblade with whatever we purchase. The boxblade we might buy used if JD wants too much for it or wont get us a good deal on it. Those things will at least enable me to get started on the immediate work that needs done. Grading, mowing, and moving dirt/gravel. The other stuff can wait until we have some free cash. I can probaby borrow or rent the bush hog and use it once or twice this summer/fall to knock the field down. Won't need the tiller until next year at the earliest for the garden. Although a tiller might be helpful in the regrading projects.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I missed the part of getting the loader later. Never order one of these tractors without a loader.

I also agree to either use what you have now to mow or get something else as a small dedicated mowing machine. These belly mowers are very expensive. You could buy a decent zero turn for the same price.
    Sorry. I must have conveyed the wrong message. We are getting the FEL with the tractor no matter what. That attachment list was just a total list of everything we would end up needed or buying. I'll edit the first post.

Also, forgot to mention that when we get the additional land, we will convert some of the pasture nearest the house into yard, giving us about 3 or so total acres to mow. It currently takes about 1.5hrs to mow what we have now with the little 48" rider. Would probably take 2.5-3 hours to mow the a larger area.

I can see the wisdom in having a dedicated mower to save a little money. But I'm also looking forward to a larger machine and smoother ride when mowing. The yard is very rough and really bounces you around on a garden tractor. Makes for a stiff neck and back, and takes a good amount of time to cut. I'll have to think more about it.
    Last edited by FearTheDeere; 06-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    coaltrain likes this.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDeere View Post
    We will be getting at least the FEL, MMM, and a boxblade with whatever we purchase. The boxblade we might buy used if JD wants too much for it or wont get us a good deal on it. Those things will at least enable me to get started on the immediate work that needs done. Grading, mowing, and moving dirt/gravel. The other stuff can wait until we have some free cash. I can probaby borrow or rent the bush hog and use it once or twice this summer/fall to knock the field down. Won't need the tiller until next year at the earliest for the garden. Although a tiller might be helpful in the regrading projects.
    You'll be needing ballast for the FEL. You might want to add a ballast box to the initial purchase. A box blade may not be enough weight.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmylh For This Useful Post:

FearTheDeere†(06-10-2019)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    You'll be needing ballast for the FEL. You might want to add a ballast box to the initial purchase. A box blade may not be enough weight.
    Oh yes, good thinking on the ballast. I over looked that. This is why you guys are a good resource!

A box is probably the best idea. Filled tires might cause too much damage when just mowing or whatever around the yard.

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FearTheDeere View Post
    Oh yes, good thinking on the ballast. I over looked that. This is why you guys are a good resource!

A box is probably the best idea. Filled tires might cause too much damage when just mowing or whatever around the yard.
    Just in case you haven't seen this thread. It has a lot of good info. Just filled tires won't take the weight off the front axle.
    What is "Rear Ballast"? And why do you need it?

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast