Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 72D on Gen2 2032R Rattles and Shuts Down Mid PTO

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks

72D on Gen2 2032R Rattles and Shuts Down Mid PTO

I just got the 72D and auto-connect, mowed with it the first time last week for 6 hours total, had one issue when I first started where the mid PTO would not start. I shut the tractor down, and this issue seemed to sort itself out, continued with another 5.5 hours of mowing with no issues.

Today I took the tractor out to cut a small patch of grass, arrived at the location, engaged the deck as normal, moved about 1 foot forward, and heard a rattle and the mid PTO shut down, with the RIO shutdown message on the LCD screen. I backed up, checked the ground for any rock or obstruction I may have hit, and found nothing, so I attempted to engage the deck again. There was a consistent rattle, like the blade was hitting something every revolution. I shut it down, got off the mower, and rotated the blades by hand. I noted a spot in the rotation where I could feel resistance, and then it would give and continue with its revolution. I checked above and below the deck and found nothing interfering, so I took the tractor back to flat ground and removed the deck. Once I removed the deck, I stood it up on end (that thing is heavy by the way) and rotated the blades by hand, no interference, they spin free all the way around. I set the deck down and rotated the blades and pulleys by pulling the belt, no interference. I went back to the tractor, lowered the mower linkage, shifted the PTO to 540 and spun the mid PTO shaft by hand, no interference, it spins smoothly. I reconnected the mower deck, and spun the blades and belt by rotating the PTO shaft at 1" cut height, 3", 4", 5" and 6". The interference didn't return until I got to the 6" cut height, which is also the transport position. This is incredibly irritating, because that is the height I need to mow at. At this point, I noticed the reverse sensor seemed to be loose:

https://youtu.be/9HteTY0PHwY

I assume this is not how it was designed, and tightened the nut, though I doubted this would fix the issue. Once it was tight, I started the tractor again, engaged the mid PTO, and had the same result as before, rattling before the machine shut off the mid PTO with the RIO shutdown message. I'm tempted to take this mower to the dealer and dump it in front of their lot, I don't have time to spend working on or transporting a brand new 5 thousand dollar mower that only has 6 hours on it. I have a feeling this is a workmanship issue, as during the first 4 hours of mowing, I found one of my rear wheel bolts in the field. That was a lucky find, so I re-torqued all of them, but this is starting to push my limits as to what I find acceptable.

Any ideas as to what is wrong with the mower?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 12:28 PM
    Thanks
    Either you are hitting the reverse petal on accident, or this is an issue on the tractor. You could just do this, and it would probably fix the issue:

2017 John Deere 2032R and 2038r disabling rio - YouTube
    2018 2038R, R3 Radials, 220R, 72D Command Cut & Mulch Kit, Wheel Spacers, Premium Lighting, Rear Dual SCV's.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    That is very cool that that is all done through software. I am definitely not hitting the reverse pedal, but I don't think that will fix my issue, as I can feel the rough spot causing the knocking sound. Disabling the shutoff would just allow the machine to run while possibly damaging itself
    Last edited by The Satch; 06-19-2019 at 11:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Satch View Post
    That is very cool that that is all done through software. I am definitely not hitting the reverse pedal, but I don't think that will fix my issue, as I can feel the rough spot causing the knocking sound. Disabling the shutoff would just allow the machine to run while possibly damaging itself
    Yeah, if its making noises like that, somethings wrong. I wouldn't run it anymore, until the issue is found. So is the noise is coming from the deck, or tractor? I think someone had a bad gear box on their 72D right out of the gate.
    theduke and The Satch like this.
    2018 2038R, R3 Radials, 220R, 72D Command Cut & Mulch Kit, Wheel Spacers, Premium Lighting, Rear Dual SCV's.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    At this point, I can't figure out where it's coming from, because when they are separated, neither seems to have an issue. I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow, I didn't think this would be a quick fix, but I was hoping someone might have some insight.

Is my evaluation of the reverse sensor correct, that nut should have been tightened down to fully secure the sensor? Or is it supposed to ride with all the slop in the video?

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Since you are getting the RIO Shutdown, I would try the disabling it and test it. With it turned off it wouldn't mater what that sensor is doing.

In the end, you probably want it disabled anyway.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks
    At this point, I can't figure out where it's coming from, because when they are separated, neither seems to have an issue. I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow, I didn't think this would be a quick fix, but I was hoping someone might have some insight.

Is my evaluation of the reverse sensor correct, that nut should have been tightened down to fully secure the sensor? Or is it supposed to ride with all the slop in the video?
    What you are moving in the video is the electromagnetic for the cruise control. It sucks up against the silver plate and it is the clicking you hear when up you engage cruise. I am not sure where the reverse switch is but I suspect it is back by the transmission. I think Homestead joes came with a bolt in backwards where the aluminum female pto on the tractor mounted to the arm it rides up and down on. Could it be backwards and causing a bind of the pto. I would also make sure the set screw for the male end of the pto is tight. Some have not been.
    The Satch likes this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

The Satch (06-20-2019)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    sounds like I need to put that nut back where it was! good to know about the cruise sensor. I will look into the set screw and the female PTO, but I am hesitant to disable the RIO since that would require running the tractor, and I don't want to be found responsible if this ends up needing to go back to the dealer.
    Herminator likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Satch For This Useful Post:

Herminator (06-23-2019)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, you nailed it Herm, bolt in backwards interfering with the PTO yoke when raised to full height. The interference was caused because I was mowing on a side slope, and the minimal space due to the incorrect bolt orientation was taken up when the deck took up the slack in the couplings towards the downhill side.

It was this bolt that holds the auto-connect frame, item 39 on the PC13080 exploded parts diagram (I couldn't figure out how to post the diagram):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tQS44wH.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	691952

The damage on the PTO yoke is about the same all the way around, not a lot of metal removed, but some. The swap took about 2 minutes, but it would have gone faster if the mechanic hadn't put the bolt in with an impact and rounded off the nut:

Name:	KP19UWz.jpg 
Size:	638.4 KB 
ID:	691956

Name:	GCT9Guo.jpg 
Size:	636.8 KB 
ID:	691954

While going through the parts diagram, I also found out that I was never supplied with the two spring locking pins (item 12, same diagram) that secure the pawls from flipping forward and releasing the rear of the mower deck. I am going to ask my dealer to replace the nut (item 41), and supply the spring locking pins that I should have received when they installed the mower. I'm not sure what to ask them about the damage to the PTO shaft, I don't think it will have a reduced life span, so maybe I will ask for black touch-up paint. I did call my dealer this morning to let them know about the issue, but they had no clue what was causing it, and wanted to get the tractor down there, and I'm not really willing to lose it for a week right now when I have a ton of projects that I need it for.

The RIO issue is still present, but I have a hunch it has to do with creep in the hydrostatic transmission. My thinking is that if the creep is biased slightly towards reverse, this would cause the RIO shutdown safety to disable the PTO. Does that make sense, or am I going the wrong direction?
    BigJim55, Herminator and Big like this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Satch For This Useful Post:

Herminator (06-23-2019)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Thanks
    Well, you nailed it Herm, bolt in backwards interfering with the PTO yoke when raised to full height. The interference was caused because I was mowing on a side slope, and the minimal space due to the incorrect bolt orientation was taken up when the deck took up the slack in the couplings towards the downhill side.

It was this bolt that holds the auto-connect frame, item 39 on the PC13080 exploded parts diagram (I couldn't figure out how to post the diagram):

Name:	tQS44wH.jpg 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	691952

The damage on the PTO yoke is about the same all the way around, not a lot of metal removed, but some. The swap took about 2 minutes, but it would have gone faster if the mechanic hadn't put the bolt in with an impact and rounded off the nut:

Name:	KP19UWz.jpg 
Size:	638.4 KB 
ID:	691956

Name:	GCT9Guo.jpg 
Size:	636.8 KB 
ID:	691954

While going through the parts diagram, I also found out that I was never supplied with the two spring locking pins (item 12, same diagram) that secure the pawls from flipping forward and releasing the rear of the mower deck. I am going to ask my dealer to replace the nut (item 41), and supply the spring locking pins that I should have received when they installed the mower. I'm not sure what to ask them about the damage to the PTO shaft, I don't think it will have a reduced life span, so maybe I will ask for black touch-up paint. I did call my dealer this morning to let them know about the issue, but they had no clue what was causing it, and wanted to get the tractor down there, and I'm not really willing to lose it for a week right now when I have a ton of projects that I need it for.

The RIO issue is still present, but I have a hunch it has to do with creep in the hydrostatic transmission. My thinking is that if the creep is biased slightly towards reverse, this would cause the RIO shutdown safety to disable the PTO. Does that make sense, or am I going the wrong direction?
    Wish I saw this thread earlier. Glad Herminator picked-up on this. I had several issues with the poor quality setup of my 72D by my dealer. Happy to see you’ve got it fixed. That deck mows so nice! Good luck

Sincerely
    Herminator likes this.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast