4010 PTO jiggle

Thread: 4010 PTO jiggle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 04:46 PM
    Thanks

4010 PTO jiggle

The rear PTO has been leaking since I got my 4020 MCUT about 28 months ago. It hasn't been bad, less than a qt every 100 hours, but I decided to get a seal for it just to keep things cleaner. I started to pull it apart today but before I got started I noticed slight movement in the shaft. I would guess less than 1/16th inch front to back and less than that vertically. Is that enough to get a new bearing in it while it's open or should I just put the seal in and call it good? Could the movement be the seal and not the bearing?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2008 John Deere 4010MCUT R4 tires with 410 loader, 5' box, 5' grader, 5' Rock Rake 4' John Deere Brush cutter, Linebacher (SP) Auger, 42" Homemade ripper, Homemade 3pt trailer hitch.

Not a clue what I'm doing, but it's always lots of fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    is it a 4020 or a 4010 like your signature says?

The good news is I find No issues in a Basic search.....
    The only thing that pops up is a couple of your old threads.

Now if it were a "old" 4010 with the 2 speed pto......bad juju...Split it to fix it.
    Last edited by theduke; 06-25-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    4010, typo

2008 John Deere 4010MCUT R4 tires with 410 loader, 5' box, 5' grader, 5' Rock Rake 4' John Deere Brush cutter, Linebacher (SP) Auger, 42" Homemade ripper, Homemade 3pt trailer hitch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    So put the seal in and don't worry or go ahead and get the bearing?

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hello?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    It looks like you were waiting for an answer, so I'll just give some advice.

To answer one of your questions, an oil seal give no support to the shaft, it just does what the name implies, it keeps the oil in and the dust out. Bearing play due to wear will cause your seal to wear prematurely because the shaft is shifting (usually laterally /side to side), placing more stress on the rubber lip as the rubber lip of the seal follows the shaft.

How much lateral play is "too much"? Depends on the type of bearing and set-up. Is your bearing worn ... I don't know.

Should you change the bearing too? For me it would depend on how much work is takes to get at it. Usually oil seals can be replaced from the outside, and bearings need to be done "from the inside". It depends on your tractor (and I'm no expert and don't know your tractor). So, if you can replace the seal from the outside, I'd just do that, since seals are relatively cheap and if it wears out again, just change it again. If you have to split the case to replace the seal, that's a lot more work, so if you're already in there and YOU feel that the bearing is worn because of excessive play, easier to change it while the case is open. You probably don't want to do it all over again if the new seal starts leaking again. And you'll have piece of mind that it's a new bearing and seal.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements