• 2 Post By EBhunts

Thread: Rear Tire chains clearance on Gen 1 2025r

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks

Rear Tire chains clearance on Gen 1 2025r

Hi all,

I am investigation my traction opportunities for snow. I have read the TBN grooving tires thread and also read through it on GTT. I am thinking that is a good low budget option for increase snow traction. If you have not read about those options i highly recommend the read. It is interesting to see all the great results. This thread is different.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not spacers are needed to fit rear tire chains on a gen 1 2025r. Nothing fancy just something to help on the ice and snow in MN. If you have good success with a specific brand can you let me know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm240 View Post
    Hi all,

I am investigation my traction opportunities for snow. I have read the TBN grooving tires thread and also read through it on GTT. I am thinking that is a good low budget option for increase snow traction. If you have not read about those options i highly recommend the read. It is interesting to see all the great results. This thread is different.

I am wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not spacers are needed to fit rear tire chains on a gen 1 2025r. Nothing fancy just something to help on the ice and snow in MN. If you have good success with a specific brand can you let me know?
    I had 2-link crossbar chains on my previous 2320 which is almost identical to the Gen 1 2025R. The chains were mounted to R4 Industrial Tires. No problem with clearance.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

rjm240 (07-02-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm240 View Post
    Hi all,

I run very heavy duty VBar Duo Grip chains AND have a backhoe. I think they’d fit fine without the backhoe mounts on the tractor BUT for me it was way too close to try so I also added spacers. I also appreciate the added stability that the spacers offer. My .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    rtgt and wildbranch2007 like this.
    -2015 John Deere 2025R
    w/R4's and 2.5 " wheel spacers front and rear, FEL, Imatch QH, Ballast Box
    270 A backhoe

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you for the feedback. My plan is to try the tire grooving first and see how that goes. I am on flat land so grooving and ballast may be all I need. Then if need be and can try a set of chains.

I have no issues with the idea of spacers and would appreciate the added stability my concern is the expense. They seem wickedly expensive for what they are. I am not suggesting that they are not necessary or valuable I just try to maximize my investment. For $350 you can get a toothbar that pretty much transforms a tractor and for $250 you can get spacers that make the rear tires a little bit wider. I realize that the spacers allow for fitment of the chains that once again transform the tractor but I think you guys know where I am going.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I had 2-link crossbar chains on my previous 2320 which is almost identical to the Gen 1 2025R. The chains were mounted to R4 Industrial Tires. No problem with clearance.

Where did you buy your 2-link chains? I have been looking online and most people mention tirechains.com but when I go there I see 4 link regular chains and 2 link V-bar. I do not see and regular 2 link chains that are not V-bar. I am looking at the 12-16.5 size. <--- EDIT I looked again and see they do have the 2 link standard chains but they are $320 vs the $140 for the 4 link....

THere is another thread on GTT where one of the posters shows his 2 series tires filled with horse manure and the chains hidden in the grooves of the tread. That is not what I am looking to do. I would like to have the chains proud of the tread so I need to figure what size chains I need then decide if I can get by with 4 link....

More research. It is hard to buy this stuff without seeing it and hearing people say it will work as return shipping is spendy.
    Last edited by rjm240; 07-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 989 Posts
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:24 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 2025R gen1 w/R4 and backhoe. I did need to add spacers, 1 1/2" if I remember right. I got 2 link peerless square chain and they work great, like $225 from walmart with free shipping. I would definitely go for the 2 link, half of them do get stuck in the tread; you will need tensioners (i used rubber ones and they work fine). Search for part 0342996 - I think I just got lucky but who knows it might still be there. Everyone else was hundreds of dollars more so I made out like a bandit. Told a friend and he got the same deal for his bobcat with the same size tire. Good luck!

Oh yeah, I'm in MN too and the R4s we're completely worthless in the snow w/o the chains. I want front ones too but haven't heard about the clearance yet on those (any advice anyone!). No chains in front means the individual brakes will be your best friends
    Last edited by supersail; 07-09-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added comment
    2016 2025R w/220R FEL and 270A BH

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks
    I used to have a '48 cub that I made chains for - they too were WAY to expensive to buy. If you're handy, try https://bluejayindustrial.com/tracti...ist-link-cross (sorry - don't know how to just add a description of the link.) Our local Farm & Fleet has an add for the cross link (connectors) and you can get a long link chain anywhere. Just my $.02

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements