John Deere 2038R with a 72" MMM mowing??
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: John Deere 2038R with a 72" MMM mowing??

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 2038R with a 72" MMM mowing??

So here is my dilemma....I currently have a Gravely ZT HD 60 for mowing duties. I have 4.5 acres out in the country so I need something for loader work and snow removal. I have a 2014 Branson 4520C with a BL25R loader for snow removal and hauling trees and stuff like that around. I am looking to downsize to just one machine and cut my monthly payments down. I am looking very hard at a 2019 2038R with a 72" MMM and loader. The JD 0% or 1.9% interest is very enticing and is much better than my current interest rate on my tractor. I can save about $100-$125 a month just by downsizing to one machine. I have never mowed with anything other than lawn tractors which my last was the 738 with 54" HC deck. How do the 72" MMM mow? I can mow my 4ish acres in about 2.5 hrs on the Gravely and can't imagine the 2038R would take any more time as the deck is 12" wider. Any input would be appreciated on the 2038R.
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower 220R loader
    72" Frontier landscape rake
    Frontier AV20F grapple Artillian Diverter valve
    Pallet Forks
    CenPeCo performace synthetic oils

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    Here's what you are looking for:

2038R and 72D Quality Of Cut

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    It depends on how wet/soft your land gets and how even it is. If it's flat and dry, a 2038 with a 72" deck will do a great job. If you get a lot a lot of rain and your property turns muddy or even soft from the moisture, this thing will destroy it. Turf tires will help but they will only mitigate the damage. If it's very uneven, the 72" may scalp.

As an example, we have a lot of rain at the start of mowing season, and things get soft. I can mow with my X758 just fine. It will tear up the very soft spots where the water pools but the ruts won't be deep and they recover when things dry up. But when it's wet like that, I can't even take the 2032 onto the grass or it will leave massive ruts in the wet spots and tear up everything else.

Right now, with things being normal (dry) I would be able to mow with the 2032 and it would do very well. But...another thing to consider is that the 2R tractors have very bad turning radius compared to garden tractors or SCUTs, and the steering effort is greater. So while it will do a great job on dry/normal land, it will be harder and more annoying than with a smaller machine.

TLDR: If you have a suburban type property with good drainage, or you land is mostly dry, it should be fine. A more rural/untamed property and you may want to consider the above.
    Last edited by mike01; 07-06-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mike01 For This Useful Post:

FortClatsop†(07-08-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    I have the 72”. Wider is always going to be harder to keep level and deal with slopes than narrower but the I like how the 72” sticks out further to get closer to things. I find just the opposite on the soft spots but I have turfs. I can run mine across a soft spot and sure it sinks in but it doesn’t spin where my 400 will tear it up worse.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and RacenJason like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
    So here is my dilemma....I currently have a Gravely ZT HD 60 for mowing duties. I have 4.5 acres out in the country so I need something for loader work and snow removal. I have a 2014 Branson 4520C with a BL25R loader for snow removal and hauling trees and stuff like that around. I am looking to downsize to just one machine and cut my monthly payments down. I am looking very hard at a 2019 2038R with a 72" MMM and loader. The JD 0% or 1.9% interest is very enticing and is much better than my current interest rate on my tractor. I can save about $100-$125 a month just by downsizing to one machine. I have never mowed with anything other than lawn tractors which my last was the 738 with 54" HC deck. How do the 72" MMM mow? I can mow my 4ish acres in about 2.5 hrs on the Gravely and can't imagine the 2038R would take any more time as the deck is 12" wider. Any input would be appreciated on the 2038R.
    I was of the same thought process as you; one piece of equipment that does everything I need so I bought a 2038 with 72" mower. The cut is fine, no issues there but here is why I would keep the zero turn if I were you. For starters, this setup is going to damage the wet areas of your yard because of the weight of the tractor. There are some areas I simply avoid until things dry up. Secondly, I rarely cut with the loader attached to the tractor. It's hard to see around (when mowing) and it makes getting up close to obstacles more difficult. Taking the loader off is about a two minute process and hooking it back up is 3-4 once you get the hang of it. Lastly, and this is the big one, I've had a lot of trouble attaching the mower and some trouble taking it off. Autoconnect isn't what Deere makes it out to be and after 239 hours of use and a few trips to the dealer for adjustments I am resigned to using a brick and occasionally a tree trunk to get the mower attached. I paid $5000 for the deck with autoconnect. Also the actuator that raises and lowers the deck is known to fail based on the posts I've read here and mine goes to whatever height it feels like rather than the height I've set.

If you have a lot of obstacles to mow around the extra width of the 72" deck won't make up for the time spend maneuvering around them. I mow about 5 acres of grass with a few trees and obstacles in my way and it takes me about 3.5-5 hours depending on how tall the grass is.

If I had a do over I would find a used 60" zero turn and then buy a 3 series for tractor duties.
    rtgt and mike01 like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
    You are only looking at your monthly payment. How much is this change actually going to cost you?
    rtgt likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillijp View Post
    I've had a lot of trouble attaching the mower and some trouble taking it off. Autoconnect isn't what Deere makes it out to be and after 239 hours of use and a few trips to the dealer for adjustments I am resigned to using a brick and occasionally a tree trunk to get the mower attached. .
    This is frustrating to read. Something just is not right here in either the surface not being level or hard where your doing this or they donít have it adjusted right. If it is not adjusted right it can be a pain but once set up properly it works great.
    PaDave, rtgt, rjpoog1989 and 2 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. Top | #8
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    This is frustrating to read. Something just is not right here in either the surface not being level or hard where your doing this or they donít have it adjusted right. If it is not adjusted right it can be a pain but once set up properly it works great.
    It was hard for me to read as well. Especially when I can effortlessly drive over, connect, and start mowing without leaving my seat. The auto connect is truly amazing. He needs to go to another dealer or set it up himself.
    PaDave, rtgt, rjpoog1989 and 2 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 12:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    You are only looking at your monthly payment. How much is this change actually going to cost you?
    Not much really. I bought the Branson right and getting what I owe on trade. They are selling the 2038R to me at a very fair price I think. I will keep the Gravely until I sell it outright most likely. Not trading that one in. I need a tractor with loader for snow removal and tree work, I just hate paying on a machine just for that purpose and sits in the shed 80% of the time. I'd rather have one machine that I can use mowing and doing all the task.
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower 220R loader
    72" Frontier landscape rake
    Frontier AV20F grapple Artillian Diverter valve
    Pallet Forks
    CenPeCo performace synthetic oils

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    11-19-2019 @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    My system works and once I started the brick to position the front arm it goes on fairly easy most of the time. I can't take it to the dealer repeatedly, don't have the time so I just came up with this work around.
    rtgt and Herminator like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast