Green Tractor Talk banner

Rear wheel spacers

7K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  BigJim55 
#1 ·
trying to find a old thread about someone who installed rear wheel spacers on their jd 2520 mcut-who mowed with a 62D deck.

wondering how wide of a spacer can i install till rear tire will hit the deck wheel?

if i had R-3 tires-how wide of a spacer could i use then?

got r-4s now--but they are getting old--might go back to the r-3's for new ones:dunno:undecided for now.

don't know if i will ever mow with the tractor or not, but if i decided to sell it-(tractor) i want to be able to tell new owner he could mow with the spacers on it-

going for the bora aluminum ones at motor sports--putting my jd steel ones on the front too. i should of done this many yrs ago. why till now:unknown: i have no answer.

been looking now for several hrs of reading old threads--but no where can i find what size width anyone installed with a 62d deck.:banghead:

Pcabe had a wonderful write up about his rear spacers.......but he had a 72 inch deck.:banghead:

so anyone out there who installed rear spacers with a 62D deck -please let me know what width u used -thanks :good2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I’m in the same situation. I have a 62D deck and wheel spacers up front and rear. I’ve just never drove the tractor over deck to see if it will work. I think I have 2” spacers installed on my 2520.

#3 ·
jeepers-i never thought about that fact----so how do u get ur deck out from under ur tractor-if u can't drive over it then?

man handled it out?

i know yrs ago i had read a post or two about having front spacers on and how they was able to still drive over the deck ok.

but where that post or thread is at now:unknown:

Reactions: OxPath and PJR832
#4 ·
Call Lenny at motorsporttech. He can tell you what fits and he guarantees them. If they don’t fit he will swap you out. I was concerned if 2inch spacers would fit on my 2025R with the 60 inch deck. He assured me they would and if not he would take them back and send narrower ones. It’s great company to deal with and you always talk to the owner when you call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Don't bother with putting the spacers on the front wheels. They may make the tractor ride a small percentage smoother since the wheel is farther from the center axle pivot point but it drastically increases the load on the front wheel bearings. Just think of how you use a crowbar to move a heavy rock. The farther you are from the pry point (the outside bearing) the more leverage you have, (the greater the load on the bearings).
As far as stability, The rear wheels determine the stability up until the front axle pivots far enough to reach it's stop. That is another reason that rear ballast is so important. If still in doubt, take a toy tractor with a pivoting front axle and experiment with it. That will make it easier to understand.

#7 ·
Jim,

I measured my wheel spacers and and I do have the 2” spacers. The front tires will ride along the edge of the ramps of the deck and maybe a little on the lip of the ramp. As far as rear wheels hitting the wheels on the rear of the deck, it looks like it will work. It will be close, really too close to give a positive answer one way or another. I’d say there is going to be about an inch of clearance between the tractors rear tire and the decks rear wheel/bracket. This is the best answer I can give you right now, without having to actually getting the deck out and actually driving over it. I’d say if the deck doesn’t sway around, it should work.

#8 ·
ok -thanks a bunch and i see u have r-4s on too. so i should be good to go--again many thanks. tomorrow i will call lenny and place my order for the rear ones.:bigthumb:

#9 ·
well i finally had the spacers installed on Saturday-well my oldest son did it--he done the heavy stuff-like torquing the lug nuts and stuff.

yesterday was the first i had it outside and used it some. front wheels i so enjoy-looking at the extra room between the inside of rim to the axle hub. lots of room now. :hide: i only had them since 2015 laying in the basement.:laugh: yeah i don't get too excited huh.

we left the rear tires turned to the wider width. after riding it a bit--i thought it rode a whole lot more rougher:dunno:why it would -puzzles me. kinda wish now i would of turned the tires back to the factory narrow way. going to wait on that till i try it out on my other aunt's steep hill i keep trimmed for her.

anybody else add rear spacers think their tractor rode rougher afterwards?

Reactions: PJR832
#10 ·
trying to find a old thread about someone who installed rear wheel spacers on their jd 2520 mcut-who mowed with a 62D deck.

wondering how wide of a spacer can i install till rear tire will hit the deck wheel?

if i had R-3 tires-how wide of a spacer could i use then?

got r-4s now--but they are getting old--might go back to the r-3's for new ones:dunno:undecided for now.
well i finally had the spacers installed on Saturday-well my oldest son did it--he done the heavy stuff-like torquing the lug nuts and stuff.

we left the rear tires turned to the wider width. after riding it a bit--i thought it rode a whole lot more rougher:dunno:why it would -puzzles me. kinda wish now i would of turned the tires back to the factory narrow way. going to wait on that till i try it out on my other aunt's steep hill i keep trimmed for her.
Questions:
1-Are you installing the spacers for added stability on hillsides, or to give a bit more clearance to the 3-point lift arms, or why?
2-If you change your tires from R4's what wheels will you use? I looked for different tire styles, but the only ones I have found for the 17.5" diameter wheel are R4's
3- How much width does it add when you "flip" the rear wheels from standard to wide? Mine are on the wide setting and have been since I got my tractor, I haven't measured to see how much offset is in the web of the wheel.
4- Do you notice any change in how the tractor steers with the front spacers? Is there more scrub when turning in 4WD?

#11 ·
1) more for stability on the hills i mow on. sounds nuts -since i have mowed on them since 2006 when i bought the 2520.
as far as the 3 pt arms-i bought the newer style arms several yrs ago. jd changed to the bent arms(to keep from rubbing the tires) in 2008 when the 2720's came out.. i got a old set of the straight arms--u need a set of them:dunno::lol:

2)if i could change my tires i would go with the ag tire thread if i could

3) flipping tires around either gives u 2 inches more or less

4)what little bit i ran tractor in 4wh drive-i didn't notice any sliding of front axle--my main reason for the front spacers is-i get in a lot of mud--and the mud seems to love to pack in the inside of rim against the hub of the front axle housing. takes pressure washer and turning the wheel's from side to side to clean it back out then. now it should be way easier to keep cleaner

Reactions: DRobinson
#12 ·
Just a side question here. I also have a 2012 2520. I was looking at swapping my wheels around to the wide position when I was out working on the tractor yesterday but I'm a little hesitant to try to lift it because of the hydraulic lift for the MMM. I've never been a believer of putting a jack under the differential. So …. where are you guys lifting at in the rear?? Thanks for you help.

#13 ·
i put the jack under the draw bar plate, it will lift one side higher then the other. when u start jacking it up -now i use a floor jack--if u have it postioned right, either side will come off the ground, then sit a jack stand under that side-go to the other side and do the same thing.
i'm thinking the right tire i put on the left side in the wide stance--i think. kinda too long ago to remember for sure

Reactions: Poppi and Gizmo2
#14 ·
I did the same as BigJim using the draw bar plate on my gen1 2032r. I went slowly as you are lifting the whole back. Once I reached the height I needed I inserted my floor stands for a more stability then rotated the tires.

Reactions: Poppi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.