GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Scott View Post
    Does anyone know what the maximum towing capacity is for a 2018 2025R
    In my experience searching for this information on other models, its either hard to find or not listed anywhere. You can likely find the drawbar limits for the tractor but not the towing capacity.

What are you trying to tow? Stopping a heavy load is usually the bigger problem for a tractor. We have some experience using an international barge wagon and filling it with around 9k lbs of dirt. Would be happy to try to answer more specific questions.
    Treefarmer and PJR832 like this.
    IndyFarmLife - (Adam or Chris)
    Check us out on YouTube - Indy Farm Life

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyFarmLife-AC For This Useful Post:

Shane Scott (07-14-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    There is no specified tow rating from the manufacturer. For garden tractors, it's considered the total weight of the machine including the operator. For your 2025R, it clearly can tow quite a bit more than that on flat ground, but on hills you could get out of control pretty easily. If you are just moving trailers around a flat area, I would say experiment with it and see what you are comfortable with. If you have a lot of hills to navigate, I would start with the machine weight, and adjust from there.
    glc, Jeff B, Toughsox and 1 others like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Satch For This Useful Post:

Shane Scott (07-14-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    My thinking is as long as the load A) doesn't exeed max tongue weight, and B) as long as the total load weight isn't more than that of the tractor.
    theduke and Toughsox like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-16-2019 @ 07:36 PM
    Thanks

Max tow rating

Looking to move a tandem dump trailer(10k rating) around the yard,with a ton or more of earth in it.
    PJR832 and IndyFarmLife-AC like this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-18-2019 @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Looking to move a tandem dump trailer(10k rating) around the yard,with a ton or more of earth in it.
    A couple of things I would consider:

1. How much does the dump trailer itself weigh? Being a dump trailer, there will always be some amount of weight on the drawbar, even when empty. (nice for traction).

2. Are you moving it across a flat yard? Can be a scary situation if you are going down hill and unable to stop.

I have no doubt that your tractor could easily pull a dump trailer with only one ton of dirt in it, especially with 4wd. If you are operating on a most flat surface, I wouldn't be overly concerned at all. As long as you aren't exceeding the drawbar limits, Id pull around as much dirt as I could before losing traction.

I can tow the barge wagon (probably 1500 lbs) plus 10k pounds of dirt around on a flat surface no problem with my 4105 (41 hp). Would I go down hill with it loaded? Absolutely not. On level ground, that's a different story.

I will say that we were just recently in the market for a dump trailer and decided on a barge wagon for several reasons.

1. Much cheaper than off road dump trailers
    2. Higher axle ratings
    3. Hydraulic dump (most dump trailers use a battery, and unless you rig up a power wire from your tractor nothing will be recharging that battery)
    4. With 2 axles and 4 tires, it is a stand alone trailer (ie. doesn't have to be hooked to your tractor when you load it, also doesn't put down force on your draw bar)

Here is a quick video of what we use

Last edited by IndyFarmLife-AC; 07-14-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    glc, PJR832 and Toughsox like this.
    IndyFarmLife - (Adam or Chris)
    Check us out on YouTube - Indy Farm Life

Tractors: JD 4052R, JD 4105, JD 2520 Other Non-Green Machines: Case 580K backhoe, Grasshopper 928D, Grasshopper 721D, Husqvarna 390XP, 450, 455 and 460 Rancher

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    I’d be considerate of the tongue weight and the axle and tire load ratings for the rear axle-Some simple math and guesstimations should tell you if there is any real issue with just hooking the trailer up.

As others have said, moving and more critically-stopping it are the other real considerations.
    glc, PJR832 and Toughsox like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    I recently had a roof redone and the contractor brought a 16K dump trailer to haul away materials. His truck (F350 crew cab) couldn't fit through the maze to get to my back yard so I towed it back there with my 2032R. They tore the old roof off and at the end of the day, I towed that thing back out of there.

The trailer's tires left a couple nice 4" deep ruts in my back lawn and was loaded nearly to the top with old asphalt shingles and plywood. Plus the trailer itself had to weigh in at about 4K to begin with. The tractor had no problem pulling it (all flat land). I never would have stopped it if I had been going down hill but that's another story.

The tractor had zero problems pulling that much weight (low gear) and I had plenty of power left to use. I was only running at ~2000 RPM too. My hitch is mounted to my swinging drawbar and the tongue weight managed to bend that down a good 4".

The point here being, your tractor will tow plenty on flat, solid ground. Probably more than you should try to tow. You'll be able to tow a 10K trailer easily. Stopping... that's where you get into issues.
    glc, theduke, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Shane Scott (07-14-2019)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    Just throwing this out there as I don't know what you have for equipment.

I have a tandem axle dump trailer that I will pull around with my X585 when it is empty. Clearly it is a much smaller machine. That said, even if I had a bigger machine I still wouldn't pull it. Getting back to I don't know what you have comment, what are you going to do with the ton of dirt once you get there? Also how are you hooking up the trailer to the tractor? Off the 3pt?

The problem I would have is once I got to where I was going, I need the FEL to deal with the dirt or mulch. If the FEL is pulling the trailer, it does me no good. I could disconnect the trailer when I got to where I was going but if while dumping, the weight shifts to the back and tongue goes up in the air you have a problem. Even if you dump before disconnecting the trailer, if the tongue goes up in the air, keep in mind that the 3pt doesn't provide down pressure. It is all gravity of the arms or whatever is on it. Again. Dealing with enough weight you might have a bigger problem.

If it were me, you are dealing with a lot of weight that might damage the grass anyhow. With the equipment I have, I wouldn't bother trying to pull the trailer with the tractor and just leave it hooked up to the truck and drive there. It is safer in the long run and leaves the FEL available to do work.

Who knows, maybe you are just hauling it back there and using a bobcat or something else to deal with the dirt and the ground it perfectly flat. Some dump trailers have bracing for the back so they don't tip up.
    Last edited by sennister; 07-15-2019 at 07:43 AM.
    greenharley likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I recently had a roof redone and the contractor brought a 16K dump trailer to haul away materials. His truck (F350 crew cab) couldn't fit through the maze to get to my back yard so I towed it back there with my 2032R. They tore the old roof off and at the end of the day, I towed that thing back out of there.

The tractor had zero problems pulling that much weight (low gear) and I had plenty of power left to use. I was only running at ~2000 RPM too. My hitch is mounted to my swinging drawbar and the tongue weight managed to bend that down a good 4".
    You have a swinging drawbar on your 2032R? I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of that.
    glc, greenharley and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast