That infamous zerk from hell on the front of the drive shaft.
Like Tree32Likes
  • 8 Post By mahd7766
  • 6 Post By PJR832
  • 5 Post By MJFlores
  • 1 Post By RalphVa
  • 6 Post By WifeSaidOK
  • 5 Post By crna
  • 1 Post By Kbar

Thread: That infamous zerk from hell on the front of the drive shaft.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 03:15 AM
    Thanks

That infamous zerk from hell on the front of the drive shaft.

Have read many horror stories about the grease zerk on the front of the drive shaft on the 1025R & 2025R. Had my 2025R Gen 2 on drive doing fluid level checks and greasing and lubing things as well as checking air filters. Got to the front and could actually see the zerk through those little holes. No way was the clip on fitting going to make it through those holes so changed to a standard end. With a bit of finagling it snapped right on and I was able to grease that front u-joint. Gosh I thought that was not near as bad as I have read it would be. Just lucky I guess! Then I tried to pull the fitting off the zerk. No matter how hard I pulled and pried not coming off. I thought you have got to be kidding me! Really??? What the hell! Finally had to unscrew the hose from the grease gun then the hose from the fitting. Reached up with needle nose vice grips and was finally able get the fitting to release from the zerk. But that dammed zerk was greased! Always something!
    2018 2025R with FEL, Auto Throttle Kit, Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, JD Ballast Box, I-Match Quick Hitch, JD 3 Point Receiver Hitch, Artillian 3000 pound Fork Frame and Backrest with 42x3 inch Forks and Bucket Hoe, Kens Bolt On Hooks, Rhinohide Canopy, Frontier GM1060R mower, JD GT275 Garden Tractor with 48 inch deck, JD 145 Automatic Lawn Tractor with 48 inch deck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,305 Posts
    This so called "infamous" zerk that we deal with is a walk in the park compared to the 2320. I actually have very little trouble with mine now, just takes a little patience. There is a guy called jgayman on here that will explain that the jaws on the grease gun ends are adjustable, never knew that until he explained it once about a year ago in a thread similar to this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks
    I used TTWT's trick of using a grease needle...worked like a charm!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 08:06 AM
    Thanks
    On my 2025R gen 1, I can barely even see the front Ujoint. Cannot tell whether it even has a zerk. Probably not. Notably, there's NOTHING in the Owners manual about it.

The rear Ujoint has a zerk, but it is turned such that I cannot get a grease gun on it. I really should remove the zerk and put a straight one in its place. No so inclined.

I'll just keep it another couple years and switch to a B Kubota then.

Ralph
    newgreenrunner likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mahd7766 View Post
    Have read many horror stories about the grease zerk on the front of the drive shaft on the 1025R & 2025R. Had my 2025R Gen 2 on drive doing fluid level checks and greasing and lubing things as well as checking air filters. Got to the front and could actually see the zerk through those little holes. No way was the clip on fitting going to make it through those holes so changed to a standard end. With a bit of finagling it snapped right on and I was able to grease that front u-joint. Gosh I thought that was not near as bad as I have read it would be. Just lucky I guess! Then I tried to pull the fitting off the zerk. No matter how hard I pulled and pried not coming off. I thought you have got to be kidding me! Really??? What the hell! Finally had to unscrew the hose from the grease gun then the hose from the fitting. Reached up with needle nose vice grips and was finally able get the fitting to release from the zerk. But that dammed zerk was greased! Always something!
    I had the same trouble getting the grease gun off that fitting on my 1025r. I was laying directly underneath it, and with enough force it finally broke free. However, I ended up splitting my forehead with the grease gun handle when it let go. Had to get some stitches for that one.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pappa and 3 others like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post
    On my 2025R gen 1, I can barely even see the front Ujoint. Cannot tell whether it even has a zerk. Probably not. Notably, there's NOTHING in the Owners manual about it.

The rear Ujoint has a zerk, but it is turned such that I cannot get a grease gun on it. I really should remove the zerk and put a straight one in its place. No so inclined.

I'll just keep it another couple years and switch to a B Kubota then.

Ralph
    I have a Gen 1 2025R, and I assure you there is a zirk on the front of the main driveshaft. It also IS listed in the owner's manual.

If you have more than 50 hours, I would be greasing it ASAP. If it fails, it could potentially cause thousands in damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20190805-231412_Chrome_1565061390310.jpg  
    2015 2025R, H130 Loader, 62D mower deck, 270A backhoe, 48 inch JD Roto Tiller, 47 inch JD snow blower, 48 inch King Kutter rough cut mower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 08:06 AM
    Thanks
    Yes, the owners manual for the gen 1 2025R shows to grease the Ujoints. Shows a window to get at the front one that simply is not there. The rear zerk is turned to where you cannot get a grease gun on it.

Won't cause any damage if front one goes. Hydraulics won't work. Time to call JD to come get it. When then finish repairing it, I'll then ask them how much they'll give me for it and probably take it and then go buy a Kubota; I guess.

Been there; done that. Last time, I went with another JD that turned into a lemon. Should have learned my lesson and gone Kubota then.

Ralph
    Last edited by RalphVa; 08-10-2019 at 06:17 PM.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Thanks
    If ya take the e brake off and roll it a little, the u joint will open up enough to get the tip in. Loosen up your tip grabbers also. They’re adjustable and don’t need to be that tight to grease a tractor. These zerks are child’s play compared to a D8
    Last edited by Kbar; 08-10-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    EBhunts likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    11-09-2019 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post
    Yes, the owners manual for the gen 1 2025R shows to grease the Ujoints. Shows a window to get at the front one that simply is not there. The rear zerk is turned to where you cannot get a grease gun on it.

Won't cause any damage if front one goes. Hydraulics won't work. Time to call JD to come get it. When then finish repairing it, I'll then ask them how much they'll give me for it and probably take it and then go buy a Kubota; I guess.

Been there; done that. Last time, I went with another JD that turned into a lemon. Should have learned my lesson and gone Kubota then.

Ralph
    Wont cause any damage? Tell that to those who have had to repair/replace the hydro until because of the front u joint failure.
    2015 2025R, H130 Loader, 62D mower deck, 270A backhoe, 48 inch JD Roto Tiller, 47 inch JD snow blower, 48 inch King Kutter rough cut mower

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements