Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RalphVa

Thread: Plans to address Ujoints and PTO button

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks

Plans to address Ujoints and PTO button

I bought 2 different sizes of straight zerks to hopefully replace the one on the rear driveshaft Ujoint that is turned such that it is impossible to get a grease gun on it. Been like this since new. Now at 200 hours on the 2025R gen. 1, I assume.

So, when the outdoor sauna somewhat ends, I'll crawl underneath there with the tractor on the ramp to the carriage house for extra clearance. Then see if I can get the zerk out of there and put in a new one. Got both sizes. Not sure what the existing one is. Has the wrench points; so, it is probably not pressed in.

It'll likely be the wrong position; so, I gotta either have the wife start the thing with me under there or crawl under while it is running to determine rotation direction. Then use channel locks or something to rotate the shaft to where I can get to the zerk.

Then, if I get this one replaced and lubed, I'll look for the front one again. As I recall, I've only ever been able to see it through a tiny (<1 inch wide) window just below it. Cannot even tell whether it has a zerk and whether IT is not screwed in where one cannot get a grease gun on it.

If all this fails, I'll just call JD to come out and lube them and replace the PTO switch that often has to be twiddled with to stay on. Maybe they might be able to get at the front Ujoint with the instrument panel moved to get at the back side of the PTO switch to get it out. Otherwise, I'm living with the PTO switch if I am able to lube the Ujoints.

The joys of bad engineering. Had a 1983 Benz through its 26th year, and it had a flexible (tire sideway like) disc on the front of the driveshaft and Ujoint at the differential. Both fine. Had to tighten the bolts on the front disc once. Wonder what Kubota has.

Ralph
    Toughsox likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks
    Anyone remember off hand which direction the driveshaft turns? What's best way to rotate by hand while underneath the tractor?

Ralph

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements