Like Tree27Likes

Thread: The venerable 4110

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks

The venerable 4110

I am a relative newby to tractors.

A couple of years ago I purchased a JD 4110, primarily to be used with a rear mounted snowblower. It is small, agile and will chew through anything that Maine winters through at it! The FEL that came on it was a terrific bonus. It has HST and filled tires. 650 hours. 3 cyl 22 HP Yanmar diesel.

This little machine continues to amaze me. I do PM on it, follow the manual prescription, and just use it.

Given my other machines, if something is not broken or breaking, I get nervous. So much junk out there!

I recently bought a 4' box blade to rework a couple of driveways and the tractor has done wonderfully!

So, my question is why we never hear about this machine?

I always read about the new 10xx tractors and am impressed. But there must still be people out there using these grandads to the newer stuff!

Were they not popular, did they have a lot of problems? How come we don't see them in these posts?

Maybe they're just so good, they don't require mention?

I'm curious! Any thoughts out there?
    glc likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,313 Posts
    With forums like this you basically have 2 groups of people that are active. Those who just bought a new tractor and those who are having problems with their old tractor.

So not seeing much activity about a tractor like yours means it is not new...and not many people have problems with them.

Win-win.
    Kennyd, glc, fdmars and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 2,588 Posts
    I had one for 12 or so years, I sold it to get a 3-series because I needed more lifting capacity. It was a workhorse and trouble free for the time I owned it.

When this forum really got started, the 2520's were in production so there was not much traffic about the older models-the 4110's were in production from 2002 through 2006, and that was a bit before the small tractor craze that we are still seeing today. The 2320 replaced it and was produced from 2006-2012.
    glc, ColonyPark, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine Pete View Post
    A couple of years ago I purchased a JD 4110, primarily to be used with a rear mounted snowblower. It is small, agile and will chew through anything that Maine winters through at it! The FEL that came on it was a terrific bonus. It has HST and filled tires. 650 hours. 3 cyl 22 HP Yanmar diesel.

So, my question is why we never hear about this machine?

I always read about the new 10xx tractors and am impressed. But there must still be people out there using these grandads to the newer stuff!

Were they not popular, did they have a lot of problems? How come we don't see them in these posts?

Maybe they're just so good, they don't require mention?

I'm curious! Any thoughts out there?
    The 4110 is a fine tractor, as was the rest of the 4100-series tractors. They were pseudo Yanmars just like the Gen-1 2-series.

Keep in mind that GTT forum participants probably represents 0.0001% of world wide JD SCUT/CUT tractor owners. There are thousands of small JD tractors quietly doing work every day owned by folks who don't get on-line and participate in forums.

I'm not sure what the sales numbers were on the 4110 but I would be willing to bet they've sold more 1-series since they seem to heavily market them towards new tractor owners. How many 4100-series TV commercials do you remember ever seeing? By contrast, how many 1-series ads have you seen.

On-line discussion forums are a poor indication of tractor population. Speaking for myself, I used a Ford 9N for almost 20 years and I never got on-line and discussed it with anyone. :-)
    Last edited by jgayman; 08-29-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Kennyd, glc, ColonyPark and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Thanks
    JD produced your model for 5 years from 2002 to 2006! As coaltrain posted, when you don't see much posted about certain models, that usually means they are still purring right along!
    BigJim55 and coaltrain like this.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 08:06 AM
    Thanks
    A friend of mine bought his 4010 somewhere around the time that I bought mine (2004). He still has it on a small farm in western Albemarle County here in Virginia. He calls her Esmeralda.

Mine busted its front driveshaft Ujoint at 9 years and 660 hours. In retrospect, I probably should have kept it after being repaired instead of trading it for the lemony 1025R that I traded in just before its 2 year warranty was up for a 2025R. Absolutely no problems with the 2025R except for a quirky PTO button. Only had some front turf tire issues on the 4010 and broke the tension bars on the 3ph mainly because I didn't tighten them enough.

The 18.5 hp in the 4010 was just the right hp for my bush hog, FEL and chipper/shredder uses. Its first use was spreading 22 tons of gravel down the tractor path to keep it from slipping down our back hill to the creek. The 4010 was an awesome snow machine with the FEL and back blade and its turf tires.

Ralph
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    Once the newness wears off people tend to talk less about their tractor as long as itís working fine. Itís probably a good thing that we donít see many people asking how to fix the older John Deere compact tractors.
    BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    I bought a new 4100 gear drive tractor in 1999, had a plow, logsplitter, 3pt crane and 3 point scoop, until about 2017 when I started building my house, found a used 200CX loader, sold the scoop, and crane. Tractor has been reliable as hell, metal hood and sheet metal all in good shape, front tires need to be replaced before winter. Came with R-4 tires which tore up the yard pretty much, dealer swapped turf tires off a low hour used machine, on paved driveway, they were superior. New driveway is 840 feet long up hill and stone, but tractor did great last year, after I learned the soft touch with the blade.
    They are great little tractors, the large rear tires are a real plus, and yes I don't post too much here because the only problem after twenty years are front tires need to be replaced and I had a leak in front steering knuckle, before there was a loader on it.
    Like they say "Nothing Runs like a 4100 series"!
    glc and BigJim55 like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    I have a neighbor 4 houses down the road that has a 4110. He's kind of an odd duck i that he only uses it to haul manure out of his barn and to drag his horse arena. He has a walk behind snow blower for his driveway and a push mower for his lawn. I'm not sure how many hours he has on it at this point but the tractor is near spotless.
    glc, ColonyPark, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Thanks

Bush hog question

Quote Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post
    A friend of mine bought his 4010 somewhere around the time that I bought mine (2004). He still has it on a small farm in western Albemarle County here in Virginia. He calls her Esmeralda.

Mine busted its front driveshaft Ujoint at 9 years and 660 hours. In retrospect, I probably should have kept it after being repaired instead of trading it for the lemony 1025R that I traded in just before its 2 year warranty was up for a 2025R. Absolutely no problems with the 2025R except for a quirky PTO button. Only had some front turf tire issues on the 4010 and broke the tension bars on the 3ph mainly because I didn't tighten them enough.

The 18.5 hp in the 4010 was just the right hp for my bush hog, FEL and chipper/shredder uses. Its first use was spreading 22 tons of gravel down the tractor path to keep it from slipping down our back hill to the creek. The 4010 was an awesome snow machine with the FEL and back blade and its turf tires.

Ralph

I bought a new to 1998 4100 about 10 months ago and love it. I am looking to get a bush hog for it. What size did you have that worked well? 48" or 60"?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast