Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Wanting an MCUT/SCUT, so many questions

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks

Wanting an MCUT/SCUT, so many questions

I'm going to get an MCUT(maybe SCUT). Probably a year or so out, I like to plan ahead. I'm thinking new, but would consider the right used package(I'm Leary of inheriting other people's problems).

I'll want an MMM, my yard is ~2.5 to 3 acres. I also want a backhoe attachment. Just think bigger/better, I've been looking and studying the 2038R the most. I see a lot of dealers advertise this tractor with FEL, MMM and backhoe. The MMM is always a 60". I'm thinking I'd like the 72". Is there a particular reason for a 60 over a 72(lack of power, space, one more reliable than another etc)?

I'm not even sure if I'd want/use a FEL. I've got a nice 3020D with FEL and 72" gyramor 307 side wheel and 84" John Deere box blade I use on my driveway. Total property size is 45 acres.

I could see all kinds of uses for the backhoe, and I'm wanting a bigger, more comfortable mower. Currently have an X320 with 54" and my original 1997 GT 275 48". My yard gets kinda rough with mole tunnels, cattle occasionally getting in yard. Soil is soft so it prints easy. GT 275 will jar me pretty good when it's nice and dry out, X320 is much better(bigger and much easier steering too). I'm imagining a 1 ton mower being pretty smooth.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crracer712 View Post
    I'll want an MMM, my yard is ~2.5 to 3 acres. I also want a backhoe attachment. Just think bigger/better, I've been looking and studying the 2038R the most. I see a lot of dealers advertise this tractor with FEL, MMM and backhoe. The MMM is always a 60". I'm thinking I'd like the 72". Is there a particular reason for a 60 over a 72(lack of power, space, one more reliable than another etc)?
    There are, IMO, a couple of reasons you see the 60" more often.

For one, Deere has traditionally kept the "standard" mower decks as close as possible to the tire track width on most of their CUTs. On my 2032R, the track width is advertised as 54" and pretty much every recommended implement for it also happens to be 54" (Snow plow, front or rear snow blowers, mower deck, etc...). It'll handle larger implements but that's what Deere always defaults to as a recommendation. Most advertising you see is based on Deere's "recommended package".

The other is quality of cut. If you have any slope in your yard the mower deck shifts whenever you ride horizontally along the slope (because.... gravity!). When it does that the deck is no longer level and one edge will cut the grass shorter than the other edge. The larger the mower deck, the more pronounced the difference. I've also seen complaints from some people that the 72" tends to scalp the lawn more.

I don't think the quality/reliability of the decks themselves is any different between them and a 2038R will easily power either deck. If you've got a big, wide open flat yard the 72" might be just the ticket for you.
    glc, rtgt, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 72D on my 2032R, my yard is nothing close to flat, and I am happy with the cut. Rolling over the edge of an incline it scales a bit, but so would anything else. Here's a thread on cut quality:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for.../188060?page=1

Also, once you add you and and the mower, the machine will weigh 3000 pounds. If you ballast the rear tires, it will weight closer to 3500 pounds.

If you want a bagger for the mower, this is a fantastic option:
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for.../174948?page=1
    Last edited by The Satch; 10-05-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    glc, rtgt, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Satch View Post
    I have the 72D on my 2032R, my yard is nothing close to flat, and I am happy with the cut. Rolling over the edge of an incline it scales a bit, but so would anything else. Here's a thread on cut quality:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for.../188060?page=1

Also, once you add you and and the mower, the machine will weigh 3000 pounds. If you ballast the rear tires, it will weight closer to 3500 pounds.

If you want a bagger for the mower, this is a fantastic option:
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for.../174948?page=1
    Don't be scared to get a 2032/8R with a 72" MMM. They mow fabulously. I have 4.6 acres of not so flat yard. Sure.....on some of the bigger uneven areas it does leave some spots a bit higher, but I don't mind. It just takes a bit more finesse and trying to figure out the best way to mow that particular area. It mows very nice and stripes even nicer. If the ground is pretty saturated(it has been a very wet early fall so far here in Iowa)....it does cut a bit of tracks in the very squishy part. I actually had to use 4WD to mow last time for a lot of my yard as it was soo muddy but didn't have a choice as the grass is growing like crazy and we've had 7" of rain in the last 2-3 weeks here. Still have to mow otherwise it'll get out of control! Any other questions....don't be scared to ask. Loving my 2038R...only had it 2 months and already have almost 65 hrs on it!
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower 220R loader
    72" Frontier landscape rake
    Frontier AV20F grapple Artillian Diverter valve
    Pallet Forks
    CenPeCo performace synthetic oils

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 08:26 PM
    Thanks
    If mowing is your primary concern and you want a really nice finish cut you may want to consider a wing mower. I believe the series tractor you're looking at is in the 30's PTO HP range (??) which is good for a 12' to 15' mower.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks the the replies. My land is relatively flat. I like the bagger idea, but something like a small silage wagon. This year especially, with so much early rain, and now so much late rain, I can't keep up.

I have one of those lawn sweeps I use from time to time, but it's a pain in the but, doesn't hold much.

I got to thinking an FEL with forks might be handy. On occasion I get shipments at my shop that I need to get home, I've already got a trailer that'd be perfect for hauling one of these trsctors, least I think it would be. It's 6'4"x12'4" inside, tandem 3500lb axles.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    I’d get the FEL. I suppose in theory you could just get a backhoe but the FEL is almost always used to set down on the ground for stability.
    glc, rtgt, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppi View Post
    If mowing is your primary concern and you want a really nice finish cut you may want to consider a wing mower. I believe the series tractor you're looking at is in the 30's PTO HP range (??) which is good for a 12' to 15' mower.
    [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bigthumbup.gif[/IMG]
    I actually wouldn't mind something like that for my 3020 to mow my hay Meadows before winter after hay is cut. They're right up by the road along side my yard, but I could probably use that 72D to do it too.

There are Soooo many options to choose on these trsctors, I'm not sure where to start!

Then I saw mention in another thread that possibly a heat and A/C cab coming for this line in 2020?? I'd be all over a cab with A/C. I probably would spend more time in it than the house.
    glc, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman View Post
    I’d get the FEL. I suppose in theory you could just get a backhoe but the FEL is almost always used to set down on the ground for stability.
    I agree, get the loader. I've used my BH without the FEL installed and it didn't do very good. It wants to drag the machine closer to your work. Having the ability to set the FEL down and take weight off the front tires makes a big difference.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,090 Times in 2,255 Posts
    You don’t want a backhoe without a loader. In fact I doubt and dealer would sell you one that way. No way to stabilize the front of the tractor.
    Kennyd, glc, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast