Anyone using a VFD / Phase converter to run your 3 phase equipment from single phase
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anyone using a VFD / Phase converter to run your 3 phase equipment from single phase

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-17-2019 @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks

Anyone using a VFD / Phase converter to run your 3 phase equipment from single phase

I’ve e been using a static phase converter to run a 220V 3PH lathe for years. No problem with that. Now I have another Bridgeport mill to hook up and I am learning that we now have variable frequency drives that not only let you adjust the motor speed (within certain parameters) but these VFDs will also act as phase converters AND (this is the part that blows my mind) will produce 220V 3PH output from 110V 1PH input.

Assuming you use the correct size VFD (in my case a 1HP motor on the Bridgeport) are there any downsides to using this 110V 1PH in / 220 3PH out device?

I was recommended a Lenze VFD.

(It all sounds too good to be true.)
    mjncad likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lukebarber View Post
    I’ve e been using a static phase converter to run a 220V 3PH lathe for years. No problem with that. Now I have another Bridgeport mill to hook up and I am learning that we now have variable frequency drives that not only let you adjust the motor speed (within certain parameters) but these VFDs will also act as phase converters AND (this is the part that blows my mind) will produce 220V 3PH output from 110V 1PH input.

Assuming you use the correct size VFD (in my case a 1HP motor on the Bridgeport) are there any downsides to using this 110V 1PH in / 220 3PH out device?

I don't have 3 phase, or a VFD (yet), but I've been doing a lot of reading about them as they pertain to brewing. They come into play for pumps as well as the motor controls for the rakes and plows in the kettles.

The guys that use the digital/solid state VFD's for transfer pumps in the brewery are really happy with them. It allows them to use good old 110v yet still have variable speed control of the pump. Lenze is a name i've heard spoke of in a positive light.

-J.
    mjncad likes this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks

I guess it depends on if the variable speed is important. The solid-state converters work fine but the Bridgeport motor will only produce two thirds of its stated horsepower. I have a rotary five horse which is basically a 5 hp three-phase motor with capacitor's so will start on single phase incoming. But the output is a full five horsepower.
    mjncad likes this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    I run this drill press off a 220 1PH to 220 3PH converter.

It works great, and I can set any speed at the touch of a button.
    mjncad likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks

Hiya,

Yup, I run my step pulley on a VFD plugged into a 110v 20A circuit, it works perfect. No real draw backs other than you can't do instant reverse like you can on a direct wired 3PH machine.

I use a GS2-11p0 from Automation Direct on the Bridgeport and a GS2-23p0 on the Southbend.
    Last edited by tomd999; 04-21-2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Updated URL
    mjncad likes this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    I use a VFD on my Bridgeport mill, Clausing lathe, and belt grinder, would do it any other way!
    mjncad likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

9. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I use a VFD on my Bridgeport mill, Clausing lathe, and belt grinder, would do it any other way!
    Are they a 110v single phase step up to 230v 3 phase?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    The ones I have seen have always been to 220 single phase in. 220 phase out in both the solid-state and the rotary motor. Sounds like this VFD device could be 110 single phase in.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Are they a 110v single phase step up to 230v 3 phase?
    No, mine are all 220v input.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I run VFD's on my machines. You don't need to use the variable frequencies to alter the motor speed at all, and it's actually easier on the motors if you don't. I just use the soft start and regenerative braking features and have the drives configured to run 60Hz just like 3PH line power would be if it were plugged into the grid. My on/off and forward/reverse switches are wired into the control circuits on the VFD's instead of wired to the power wires to the motors, and the end result is that they work just like they would if you'd plugged it into a 3Ph outlet.

Rotary phase converters are not rated for full nameplate horsepower. You're only dealing with 2 out of three legs, and the two you have aren't phased properly for the windings in a 3ph motor, so you have 2 legs at 180 instead of 3 at 120 degrees. No matter how hard you jack up that generated leg you aren't going to get true 3Ph power out of those windings. Just ain't possible!
    flyweight and Firemark like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast