Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Working on a flagpole ...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks

Working on a flagpole ...

The wife decided she wanted a flagpole up in the front yard by July 4, so I have been working at getting one made. I found a DIY materials list on a flagpole products web site & used it as a basis for ours.

I am building a "tip up" version, so it can be lowered if needed for repairs (or whatever), built from 3 ten foot lengths of schedule 40 pipe - 2", 1.5" & 1.25". The base is another 10' piece of 2" that is cut in half & will be set into a concrete base, one leg on each side of the 2" base piece & pinned with a couple of long 1/2" bolts. About 2.5' of the base will be in concrete & the other 2.5' above ground. Rebar will be welded to the lower portion of the base to help anchor things in the concrete.

The 3038e was out at the acreage, so I gave the 1025R a try with the PHD and a 12" auger. It was a bit much for the little guy, but I ended up getting a roughly 4' hole sunk for the base.

I am working out in the tractor storage building & it is kind of a "make do" setting. Power comes from the generator out there. The following is from the last couple of days - the heat & humidity make me disinclined to push too much on any one day.

The best way to work with the pipe was a couple of old folding chairs as saw horse stand-ins. First step was cutting a 2" pipe into 2 pieces. The angle grinder was the easiest way to work as the pipe wasn't secured enough for a sawzall. The circumference for the cut was marked using a length of flat ribbon cable from an old disk drive interface as a guide for the marker.

Lines were marked using a piece of angle iron as a self aligning guide & a circumference drawn to mark ground level.

Locations for holes were marked at 6" & 28" up from ground level.

A step drill was used for the first holes

The ribbon cable was used to find the opposite side locations by marking circumference length & marking the halfway point. With the overlap at the original line, the halfway mark set the points for drawing the line on the opposite side.

With the lines drawn, the same measurements from ground level set the punch point for the next holes

With holes drilled, the bolts were used to pin the pieces and verify alignment. A little tweaking of the holes was needed, but not much. The parts were marked to show proper orientation.

The same steps were used to mark corresponding locations on the base of the uncut 2" pipe.

Once the holes were drilled, the long pipe was mated with the base pieces & a small amount of additional tweaking to let the bolts go through easily.

With the pieces in alignment, it was time for adding the plates that will keep the base components in alignment and keep the upright from passing vertical when tipped up. I got out the old Lincoln AC225 & hooked it up to the 7K Champion. I don't claim any skill with the stick welder, this is the second or third project so far & I am learning as I go.

(looking at this last pic, I need to double check that bottom plate to see if there is interference with the vertical when it gets horizontal ...)

I had a couple of short pieces of 1/2" rebar for the bottom of the base. I need to add a couple of "legs" to extend down to the hole bottom so I can stabilize things at the desired level before adding the concrete.

This is where I stopped today. More posts as things continue.

The plan is to set the base & concrete it in with the bottom portion (2") of the vertical in place. After the concrete sets, the 2" gets removed & the whole pole assembled. Each joint gets about a 12" overlap. The 1.5" nests easily in the 2" (I may add some beads to tighten the fit some). The 1.25" will need to get a line relieved to clear a ridge on the inside of the 1.5" - it will also need a bit of "whittling" to slide easily (less than 0.1" overall). Joints will get welded & a cleat and top pulley will get added. A bit of zinc bearing paint & then assembly followed by tip up is the plan.

Nick
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikdfish For This Useful Post:

Herminator (06-25-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    looks very nice so far. probably well it was the fall of 1976, after i got my cast off my leg, and i was still living with my uncle and aunt right up the road from where i live now. and our one neighbor needed help siting a locust pole into the ground-that he made for a flag pole. he skinned the bark off of it, left it dry, and then he painted it white. drilled the hole in the top for the pulley, slide some rope thru it, before we stood it up, and into the hole. that thing was heavy even back then, but believe it or not, it's standing, and a flag still hangs off of it, every day. keep the pics a coming-i enjoyed it very much. waiting for the end results.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Thanks
    Great post look forward to seeing the conclusion
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 5' dress maker's tape that I use for measuring round and other irregular shapes.
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

8. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    You probably already know this, but welding on glavanized releases poisonous gases. Make sure to use a fan and get that smoke away from you as you burn it in.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.
    Tomfive, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    You probably already know this, but welding on glavanized releases poisonous gases. Make sure to use a fan and get that smoke away from you as you burn it in.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.
    Thanks for the warning mention, I was aware of that potential issue. It didn't show in the pics, but I had two box fans running on high & blowing in line with the pipe towards the open roll up door, also all six building windows are open for the summer so there was good air flow (not just stirring inside air).

Nick
    dieselshadow, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Small update, found the lower plate did indeed interfere with the center tube going to horizontal. I had already planned to cut off the visible threaded portions for a cleaner look, so I marked the point where the tube bottom would clear the plate, removed the center tube & cut there as well as the opposite end.

I added a rebar "foot" that should help with getting the base at the proper height & reinforce the concrete plug.

I then reassembled the vertical segment with the base & verified proper range of motion and the ability to re-insert both bolts.

After a couple of days of rain, the hole I dug has about 29" of water in it despite being covered. When it comes time to install the base I may have to drop in a bilge pump to empty it out a bit (the pump normally pumps water from a barrel I carry with one of the tractors or gator when there are a number of transplants to water....).

I am going to wait for a dial type level indicator to come in on Wednesday before installing the base. I want to get it right & think the degree marked dial indicator will make me more confident in the results than a bubble level.

I figure on clamping a couple of 2x4 boards to the vertical at right angles, sloping out with their bottom ends to be screwed to a couple of stakes to hold things in alignment while doing the concrete. If I can't find appropriate caps for the base tube tops (& maybe even then), I am thinking to fill them with expanding foam to keep out water & insects. The base of the vertical will probably get some brass scrubber pads stuffed in to keep nest builders out.

More installments will follow when there is more progress.

Nick
    mjncad, Tomfive, Levi and 1 others like this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Thanks

Water in the hole

Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Small update, found the lower plate did indeed interfere with the center tube going to horizontal. I had already planned to cut off the visible threaded portions for a cleaner look, so I marked the point where the tube bottom would clear the plate, removed the center tube & cut there as well as the opposite end.

I added a rebar "foot" that should help with getting the base at the proper height & reinforce the concrete plug.

I then reassembled the vertical segment with the base & verified proper range of motion and the ability to re-insert both bolts.

After a couple of days of rain, the hole I dug has about 29" of water in it despite being covered. When it comes time to install the base I may have to drop in a bilge pump to empty it out a bit (the pump normally pumps water from a barrel I carry with one of the tractors or gator when there are a number of transplants to water....).

I am going to wait for a dial type level indicator to come in on Wednesday before installing the base. I want to get it right & think the degree marked dial indicator will make me more confident in the results than a bubble level.

I figure on clamping a couple of 2x4 boards to the vertical at right angles, sloping out with their bottom ends to be screwed to a couple of stakes to hold things in alignment while doing the concrete. If I can't find appropriate caps for the base tube tops (& maybe even then), I am thinking to fill them with expanding foam to keep out water & insects. The base of the vertical will probably get some brass scrubber pads stuffed in to keep nest builders out.

More installments will follow when there is more progress.

Nick
    No real need to pump the water out of the hole if you don't want to. If you mix the concrete just a tad rich and pack it in, the water will come out anyway and the concrete will be very, very hard when it sets. You would, however lose a bit of the mix as the water overflows so you would have a skim around the hole if you don't pump. I had a friend who worked with a fencing contractor. The first time he was told to put concrete in a wet hole, he told his boss that was crazy. They came back a few days later and found out it worked just fine.

Treefarmer
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast