• 2 Post By BigJim55
  • 1 Post By Evanyj350

Thread: Dirt Sifter Screen

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Thanks

Dirt Sifter Screen

I want to make something to get the rocks out of some dirt. I have a yard project going on where I will need to grade after complete and plant grass. I will put top soil as the final layer but under that will use the left over mostly clay and lots of rock

I have a 4 x 8 sheet of expanded metal that I wanted to put on a 2 x 6 wood frame and lay on top of my dump trailer. Thought was to tilt it up on an angle and load the high end and let it roll down and hopefully let the dirt go through and the rock roll off.

Unfortunately I don't think it will work as planned and think it will need to vibrate some

Any thoughts on how to design it. Open to ideas
    mjncad and BigJim55 like this.
    2017 1025R TLB
    Artillian 36" forks
    54" snowblower
    54" plow
    I-Match
    53" loader bucket
    16" backhoe bucket

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Termite View Post
    I want to make something to get the rocks out of some dirt. I have a yard project going on where I will need to grade after complete and plant grass. I will put top soil as the final layer but under that will use the left over mostly clay and lots of rock

I have a 4 x 8 sheet of expanded metal that I wanted to put on a 2 x 6 wood frame and lay on top of my dump trailer. Thought was to tilt it up on an angle and load the high end and let it roll down and hopefully let the dirt go through and the rock roll off.

Unfortunately I don't think it will work as planned and think it will need to vibrate some

go to u-tube lots of what u want is on there. but unless u have a very larger tractor with more lift-unless u have a small low trailer-it like u said will not run off correctly. a dump trailer dumps at 27 degrees. i think it needs a bit steeper to get some speed up to clean its self better.

and the dirt has to be very dry for it to work also-or it will get plugged up from not being to roll off. hope this helps as i also wanted to build one for my place. i have several piles of dirt i would love to screen some day.

but after looking at the rock buck that 69 something name showed me the other day. i might just go that way-i don't know just yet.
    mjncad and em14 like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    01-29-2019 @ 03:06 PM
    Thanks
    I made one for sand, actually several, and kept using bigger spaced metal when the small stuff clogged. Decide on your rock size tolerance and go even bigger than that. I had dry sand and started with 1/2" square hardware cloth. It clogged up too much. Now I'm using catwalk welded bar metal flooring that has 1" x 4" slots. It works pretty well. I set it on top of my dump trailer and dump a load thru it. Have to rake it a little, but works slick.
    69project likes this.
    2017 2038R Loaded R-4s- Backhoe- Dual rear SCValves- Wheel Spacers- LED lights- Front Snowblower/Front Blade/3PH- 6' Frontier Box Blade- 42" Frontier Forks- EA 55" Wicked Grapple- WR Long Third Function kit- Fit Rite Hydr Top n Tilt- 6' old rusty Landscape Rake- Rusty old Post Hole Digger- Rusty old 5' Brush Hog- DR VersaTrailer- 20' SureTrac Tilt Trailer 7000lb

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Termite View Post

You may just want to rent one of these. The Original Landscape Rake by RockHound Attachments

I went through similar challenges you are addressing. I ended up just land scape raking and tilling as much of the rock into the ground as I could and then putting a lot of top soil on top. So far it's holding up even without any grass (failed to grow, another long story). Your challenge will be your frost line since you list NJ as your location. Down here in NC the ground doesn't really freeze. We grow rocks whenever it rains!
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Think about build a rectangular box. Open at the top and bottom. Then welding in your expanded metal in two "V" configurations- like this VV.
    Railroad hoppers are constructed like this to flow product quicker. A vibrator would probably be needed. The hoppers have a hanging door on the bottom. so after you vibrate the dirt loose you would drop the product through the doors.

Or Not....
    Last edited by Bulitt; 08-15-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements