Green Tractor Talk banner

JDQA Fork Build

11K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Sleepy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, here's a little step by step of a project I just finished. Hope this helps someone out. I just used what I could find in the shop so it ain't perfect, but I'm happy with the outcome. If you have any questions, I'll answer them the best I can. I'll explain these pictures if someone would like me to, but otherwise a good look at them tells the story. Oh, the boss man gave me the forks, btw. They are 42x4 cascade forks. Btw, will somebody move this post to implements. I didn't mean to post it in here.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Great job...:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

#6 ·
That's a great job, I wish I had the talent some of you possess :good2:

#8 ·
Good work. Now add a center hitch receiver and you can move trailers around.

#9 ·
Very nice . . . I'd would have spent more on material and welding supplies than it cost to buy one . . . That's why I bought the Artillian Pallet Forks that I'm very pleased with.

Now just a little JD green and you're ready to go . . . Marlin :cowboy:

#18 · (Edited)
That was time consuming. I used a grinder with an abrasive wheel and a torch. First, I made the cuts perpendicular to the length, then I washed away the metal in between the cuts until I was almost to the depth I wanted, then I cleaned that up and smoothed it out to the actual depth I wanted with the abrasive wheel. It's one of my favorite parts about it.

#22 ·
I understand the make versus buy dilemma you describe. I'd say that most of us capable of building something face that decision on a regular basis.

To me, a $149 for an adapter plate that hopefully is guaranteed to fit is worth the cost. If it were $500, then I'd say no it isn't.

#27 ·
Thanks for posting this build! That is some very nice work. I too am wanting to build a set of forks, I've got the time just need to find a cheap set of forks. $195 bucks for a pair is as cheap I can find. I tried the local forklift dealer hoping to find a set where the tips were damaged but they didn't really want to help. Probably a liability issue.

Anyone have any other ideas where I might find some used forks?

Reactions: Marlin and PJR832
#33 ·
Anyone have any other ideas where I might find some used forks?
They turn up on Craigslist every once in a while. When I built my set many many years ago, I went to a local forklift repair outlet and bought a set of "out of spec" ones for $100, they where to thin on the bottom cord to be used in a OSHA shop but perfectly safe for my smaller tractor at the time. I've since sold them and upgraded to a set of HD Artillian forks.

Nice build Sleepy :good2:

#40 ·
FYI, another approach to the hooks is to just use angle iron, 1-1/4" I believe fits well.

Green Water Winter Guard rail Snow

Grass Fence Vehicle Tire Soil

#41 ·
FYI, another approach to the hooks is to just use angle iron, 1-1/4" I believe fits well.

[iurl="http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=459170&d=1468248464"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=459178&d=1468248464"]
[/iurl]
this is why I love forums. Good idea.

Reactions: Gizmo2
#42 ·
Well, here's a little step by step of a project I just finished. Hope this helps someone out. I just used what I could find in the shop so it ain't perfect, but I'm happy with the outcome. If you have any questions, I'll answer them the best I can. I'll explain these pictures if someone would like me to, but otherwise a good look at them tells the story. Oh, the boss man gave me the forks, btw. They are 42x4 cascade forks. Btw, will somebody move this post to implements. I didn't mean to post it in here.
Very nice build! Are you concerned about the top hooks uncurling?
UPDATE: I reinforced the top hooks and added a hitch receiver, built a backrest and then painted it all.

Attachments

#44 ·
UPDATE: I reinforced the top hooks and added a hitch receiver, built a backrest and then painted it all.
Looks great, very nice job!

Kind of looks like a hybrid between JD/Frontier and Artillian (not meant to say anything was copied from or appropriated from them) and not meant to take away from your creativity-just my initial reaction to it visually.

Did you document any of the backrest build? Is it all flat stock? How did you bend the corners?

#43 · (Edited)
Nice work Sleepy! I hope mine turn out half that good. I'm not a fabricator or welder but I'm having fun with my own project (using yours for LOTS of inspiration). Again, thanks for posting!

#46 ·
#47 ·
Reactions: PJR832
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.