I need a little bit of help measuring something?
Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By BigJim55
  • 4 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By BBarn
  • 2 Post By BigJim55
  • 3 Post By JimR
  • 2 Post By BigJim55
  • 2 Post By JimR

Thread: I need a little bit of help measuring something?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts

I need a little bit of help measuring something?

i want to build a dirt sifter. what or how do u decide how steep it can be? i want to be able to dump my bucket ok-and i will have to allow for my teeth sticking out from it.

the reason i want to do this is because i need clean dirt to fix lots of bad spots all over my property-and i have several stockpiled piles of dirt with lots of to big of rocks to bury at my fill places. i hate to waste my dirt. ever since i seen a fella in new finnland build one out of pretty much nothing on u-tube--my mind has been thinking and spinning. my wife keeps telling to waste this dirt and get the free dirt off my cousin, but what he wants to give has lots of rocks in it too. and now we have this dump trailer-i need this sifter.

i already have gathered up my legs for it-and i want to set springs on with a gas motor to shake it. or i suppose it could just be set up like a grizzly--but i don't think my little tractor is gonna have enough height for the dirt and rocks to fall correctly.

how about the retired engineers helping me out a bit with the degrees of the pitch--for the dump height of my tractor. i would really appreciate this help-as i passed drafting in high school, but only by getting a D-back then. i was more interested in trucks and heavy equipmenth. ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNmBMDfpJ5E now his dumping area is backwards from the way i want to dump my dirt-but for him it works-ok when he first built it was sliding off-but way slow-- right, so he just took his backhoe and dug the front in deeper.

there are lots of videos of dirt sifters on u-tube-and i love all of them. my boy is good with a set of plans-but lacks the vision to see things in his mind, like tractor stuff. i wanted him to build me a sleeve hitch for the 2520. he said bring me a set of plans--grr--its not his fault-really i don't think he's ever saw a sleeve hitch.
    Superglidesport, rtgt and Robnik like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 AM
    Thanks
    I built one using just pressure treated 2x4 and 1/2" hardware cloth. It had to be at a minimum of a 45 degree angle for the material to slide down the surface without hanging up. But if you can vibrate it, you really only need a minimal angle. I'd bet 30 degrees would be plenty and the rock would still get moved to the edge and drop off fast enough that you could work buckets through it pretty fast.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-28-2019 @ 10:36 AM
    Thanks
    45 degrees will gravity feed it without the need to vibrate. Vibrate is easy to build if you have a motor laying around but honestly isn't necessary. I've seen a 2x6 and 2x4 gravity fed on wire mesh work very well.

All you need to do is park your machine where you want to dump the dirt and measure the height with the bucket full uncurl. Once you have that you make your screen to that height.

Remember if you get it "too short" for a full dump because you moved it elsewhere or you've cut something twice and it is still too short you can always dump some dirt in front of it to build a ramp to raise the front.

If you have a motor (electric or gas) and feel like making a shaker I wouldn't say don't. The only issue is where you use it needs additional fuel (gas, elect, generator...) whereas a gravity feed works anywhere. It will also be more complex and having a shaker will stress the structure more than one may think.
    rtgt likes this.
    Without data, you are just another man with an opinion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - 49" 120 FEL with Piranha tooth bar
    - 260 Backhoe with 12" and 16" Buckets
    - 5' County Line Box Blade
    - FSP700 Spreader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I built one using just pressure treated 2x4 and 1/2" hardware cloth. It had to be at a minimum of a 45 degree angle for the material to slide down the surface without hanging up. But if you can vibrate it, you really only need a minimal angle. I'd bet 30 degrees would be plenty and the rock would still get moved to the edge and drop off fast enough that you could work buckets through it pretty fast.
    ok-thanks--i'm pretty sure if i don't use a sheet of expanded metal-the size on my rocks would go thru it. last winter i thought about buying 2 dog kennel sections off of craigslist--and laying them on top of just a frame-but it seemed all them sections that had been cheap the yr before dryed up. so i gave up on that idea. i would like it to be 60 inches wide for my bucket to fit good. so if i go that wide i'm gonna need 2 sheets as i guess it comes in 4 ft section wide. the boy said he can tach it together.

the dump trailer is dumping at 27 degrees-at least thats what i thought the boy saidi wanta put a small set of wheels on it to move it around to different dirt too. but it has to be light enough if i need to pick it by the 2520. which i think is doable. the game is on to build it now. my youngest boy is gonna be surprised this Friday if he doesn't have to work--as we are going for angle iron and sheets of expanded metal.

now tell me-am i thinking 1 inch holes to big?
    rtgt and Robnik like this.
    jim

king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    now tell me-am i thinking 1 inch holes to big?
    If you are just using the soil for things like filling holes in the lawn and stuff, a 1" screen is probably ok. I used 1/2" because I use the screened soil for my raised garden beds and I wanted to make sure I was just getting nice loose soil.

I was thinking about getting some 1" expanded metal and using that as a "pre-screen" on mine. I'd set it up as a 2-stage screen. Whatever drops through the 1" would drop down to the 1/2". Plus, the hardware cloth takes a beating when you dump a full bucket of soil on top of it. The expanded metal would hold up to the abuse better.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    If you are just using the soil for things like filling holes in the lawn and stuff, a 1" screen is probably ok. I used 1/2" because I use the screened soil for my raised garden beds and I wanted to make sure I was just getting nice loose soil.

I was thinking about getting some 1" expanded metal and using that as a "pre-screen" on mine. I'd set it up as a 2-stage screen. Whatever drops through the 1" would drop down to the 1/2". Plus, the hardware cloth takes a beating when you dump a full bucket of soil on top of it. The expanded metal would hold up to the abuse better.
    well i would like to use this also just for that reason. so when u buy clean garden dirt it's sifted in 1/2 screens-huh.

what if i split the difference and go with 3/4? be good for both ideas
    rtgt and Robnik like this.
    jim

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yup! 3/4" would be a perfect compromise.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements