Like Tree586Likes

Thread: Beginner Welder

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,233 Posts

Beginner Welder

What would be a good small welder for someone who is just starting out? I don't want to go all in and then find out I just don't have the the knack but I also don't want to buy a pile of junk and get frustrated because of poor equipment.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, MDrew and 6 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Don't buy a welder, go take a class. You'll get started on the right foot, get to try a lot of different processes and use different machines. You'll figure out what you like and what you don't and if you decide welding isn't for you you're not stuck with a welder and the education always looks good on a resume.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 23 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

PJR832 (10-09-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts
    You didn't say what type of welding you are interested in. I mean, are you wanting to do fabrication or wanting to do repairs around the homestead? Most welders will require a 50A 220V outlet? Do you have one of those available? If not, is it something you can easily add?

Next, watch Craigslist and pick up a cheap Lincoln Tombstone welder. They can usually be had for $150-$175. I found a mint condition 225AC-DC for $175. You can learn a lot by stick welding. Watch as many YouTube videos as you have time. Stick welding is cheap and very capable.

This is what I did and I'm very satisfied. I can do most repairs and have even fabricated some stuff.

The nice thing about the Lincoln Tombstone welders is you can usually resell them for exactly what you paid for them.
    Last edited by jgayman; 10-09-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Robnik (10-09-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    You didn't say what type of welding you are interested in. I mean, are you wanting to do fabrication or wanting to do repairs around the homestead? Most welders will require a 50A 220V outlet? Do you have one of those available? If not, is it something you can easily add?

Next, watch Craigslist and pick up a cheap Lincoln Tombstone welder. They can usually be had for $150-$175. I found a mint condition 225AC-DC for $175. You can learn a lot by stick welding. Watch as many YouTube videos as you have time. Stick welding is cheap and very capable.

This is what I did and I'm very satisfied. I can do most repairs and have even fabricated some stuff.

The nice thing about the Lincoln Tombstone welders is you can usually sell them for exactly what you paid for them.
    Thanks, yes, I forgot to mention that. Just light fabrication and things like that for now. Really just want to learn and play, just something I've been interested in for quite awhile.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Thanks, yes, I forgot to mention that. Just light fabrication and things like that for now. Really just want to learn and play, just something I've been interested in for quite awhile.
    Way back when I was able I wanted to teach myself also. But having an old wood plank floor in the barn and shop kind of put the stops to the idea.

Good luck - I have always had this insatiable need to learn.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    You've already gotten great advice.
    As far as having the knack- Anybody can produce strong welds, if they practice. That is the key, not natural ability. Weld, weld, and weld more. The more rod (or wire) that you run, the more that you'll get it. Taking a class is great, in many respects, but even that won't take the place of practice at home. Buy what you can afford- a good welder is money well spent, and you can get your money back out of it- and don't worry about whether you have the ability or not. You will, if you weld, weld, and weld some more.
    One more thing- I hear it all the time- "I want to get the stacked dime look". Don't get caught up in that. There are lots of nice, clean, straight welds run, that are weak. Focus on the fundamentals and good penetration, and don't worry so much about a pretty weld. That will come, with practice. A beautiful bead that is stronger than the field around it. The beauty is optional, the strength isn't.
    Last edited by hodge; 10-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    glc, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 15 others like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hodge For This Useful Post:

pcabe5 (10-09-2017), PJR832 (10-09-2017)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Subscribed to thread.

I’ve seriously considered taking an welding class at the local community college.

They teach all types in the intro class. Going to have to look into it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    pcabe5, MDrew, JKR and 6 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Thanks
    I took an adult class at the local JR college years ago and learned the basics. I still have and use the electric Buzz Box stick welder when I need to weld something. One thing I learned is keep you rods dry. I bought 50lbs box of rod because it was a lot cheaper that way. I used about 3lbs and the rest absorbed so much moisture I had to throw them away. My welder is so old it was from Monkey Wards and it still welds fine.
    pcabe5, MDrew, rtgt and 6 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Way back when I was able I wanted to teach myself also. But having an old wood plank floor in the barn and shop kind of put the stops to the idea.

Good luck - I have always had this insatiable need to learn.
    Same here. I do all of my welding outside. I use only flex core wire in my little MIG unit that way I don't have to use shielding gas outside.

Welding outside is not a problem really... just have to limit yourself to when it is not raining. :-)
    pcabe5, MDrew, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    One thing I learned is keep you rods dry. I bought 50lbs box of rod because it was a lot cheaper that way. I used about 3lbs and the rest absorbed so much moisture I had to throw them away. My welder is so old it was from Monkey Wards and it still welds fine.
    What was the alloy, 7018? I've never had a problem with 6013 which is my go-to rod of choice. I've had an open box in our dirt basement for many years and they still run fine. 7018 though, you do need to keep dry if possible.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast