Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: LENOX MetalMax Cutoff Wheels

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks

LENOX MetalMax Cutoff Wheels

I was planning on picking up one of these LENOX MetalMax Cutoff Wheels today, but I ran across this unfavorable video review:

Does anyone have any experience with these? I saw a thread from Kenny about one, but it was some time ago. I'll be cutting 11 gauge hot rolled plate with it. After the less than stellar review, I'm wondering if a standard cutoff wheel would work ok. I guess a 3rd option is that I could bust out the torch too...

Anyway, anybody use the Lenox wheels currently?
    etcallhome, pcabe5, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks
    I've never tried those, I have had great success with the regular ones from DeWalt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QYY03E...I1BI1E9Y3OB7TA

I like the idea of a longer lasting more durable cut off wheel, I use them a lot. If you've used them as much as I have you know why the nickname "death wheel" is used. That's why a metal one might be safer and more desirable. After you have a fiber one explode in a cut, the awkward self pat down while you look for impalement could be avoided.

I've heard really good things about the Metabo Slicer wheels from my favorite youtubers, but I've never bought those either. I really like the threaded type wheel I can just spin on, so I stick with those DeWalts.
    etcallhome, Bubber, OxPath and 2 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
    I've never tried those, I have had great success with the regular ones from DeWalt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QYY03E...I1BI1E9Y3OB7TA

I like the idea of a longer lasting more durable cut off wheel, I use them a lot. If you've used them as much as I have you know why the nickname "death wheel" is used. That's why a metal one might be safer and more desirable. After you have a fiber one explode in a cut, the awkward self pat down while you look for impalement could be avoided.

I've heard really good things about the Metabo Slicer wheels from my favorite youtubers, but I've never bought those either. I really like the threaded type wheel I can just spin on, so I stick with those DeWalts.
    Thanks I don't think I've see the threaded cutoff wheels before. I'll probably check those out. I use a full face shield when using the abrasive wheels, I've had them come apart before too.
    etcallhome, Old Cajun and Robnik like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Every set I ordered has a plastic threaded portion, like in the alternate views of that amazon link. I'm not sure if they switched to a metal center, but I've never had an issue with the plastic. The flap discs I have from them have a metal center nut. The flap discs are just okay, I usually buy what I can find cheap and I thought I'd try the DeWalts since I liked the cut offs. Meh.
    Last edited by Plug Ugly; 01-05-2018 at 12:14 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 971 Posts
    I haven't found anything better than DeWalt cutoff wheels.

Hate using cutoff wheels, like just about everybody, had them come apart.
    Sometimes you have to however.

Full face shield and thick leather gloves are a must.
    I also use both hands holding the grinder, as grinder body and power handle.

Dangerous anyway you look at it, be careful.
    mjncad, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 4 others like this.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Iíve not watched the video yet admittedly, but I used some Amazon GCís to buy a 14Ē one for my cutoff saw and replace my abrasive blades. Iíd been drooling over one of the cold style chop saws but couldnít justify the $, so when I found the Lenox that was compatible (size, RPM' etc) with my current saw I thought Iíd give one a try.

Itís been delivered but not installed or used yet, but maybe I could try and use it sooner than later and get some idea of if/how itíll work for that application.
    etcallhome, Bubber and Robnik like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    I was planning on picking up one of these LENOX MetalMax Cutoff Wheels today, but I ran across this unfavorable video review:

Does anyone have any experience with these? I saw a thread from Kenny about one, but it was some time ago. I'll be cutting 11 gauge hot rolled plate with it. After the less than stellar review, I'm wondering if a standard cutoff wheel would work ok. I guess a 3rd option is that I could bust out the torch too...

Anyway, anybody use the Lenox wheels currently?

I guess I’m a bit confused about this video, it seems that he just doesn’t like them mostly because of the cost and what he assumed would be their performance level but offers no empirical measurement or comparative cutting time/life/quality/etc between the Lenox and the abrasive blades he does claim to like....

If he did the same cut with each and timed them, qualified the amount of cleanup for each somehow or actually did the math on the life cycle cost of multiple $2 blades vs the $14 one I’d be more inclined to be swayed by his opinion of “I just dislike them”

This video is somewhat more objective and is positive on its overall opinion, so who you gonna believe?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj3GSzDB6gw
    Last edited by balrog006; 01-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Bubber and 2 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Iíve not watched the video yet admittedly, but I used some Amazon GCís to buy a 14Ē one for my cutoff saw and replace my abrasive blades. Iíd been drooling over one of the cold style chop saws but couldnít justify the $, so when I found the Lenox that was compatible (size, RPM' etc) with my current saw I thought Iíd give one a try.

Itís been delivered but not installed or used yet, but maybe I could try and use it sooner than later and get some idea of if/how itíll work for that application.
    Post up when you try it. I've got an abrasive I don't use anymore that I would convert if they work well, even though I have a Rage cold cut.
    etcallhome, Bubber and Robnik like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    I guess Iím a bit confused about this video, it seems that he just doesnít like them mostly because of the cost and what he assumed would be their performance level but offers no empirical measurement or comparative cutting time/life/quality/etc between the Lenox and the abrasive blades he does claim to like....
    I've watched some of that guy's other videos, and he knows metal cutting. I'm not disagreeing with your estimation of his lack of science, but if you've seen him run a torch...

The video you linked is for a 6", and I have to believe that makes a difference as well. The 6" grinders are all built heavier, maybe the Lenox needs more power to cut well and would perform better with a high end tool?
    Bubber and Robnik like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 2,509 Posts
    I've used mine about a dozen times so far on square tubing, thin will though-and a few bolts. I can recommend them for thinner stuff like your 11ga plate. On the large square tube he showed for about 3 seconds it looked like it was going really well but then he cut away. If I was cutting S80 pipe like in the video, I would not be using any sort of handheld cutoff wheel.
    mjncad, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 4 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

pcabe5†(01-06-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast