• 1 Post By jimmylh
  • 1 Post By Plug Ugly

Thread: Finally Finished the welding station

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Thanks

Finally Finished the welding station

After two winters I think I have finally finished the welding station. Here is a pic of the beginning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180207_153955.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	545577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180207_153955.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	545577

Not sure why they are sideways. I fixed them on my laptop, then they turn again here.

The air vents are standard floor vents for heat/AC. I bought a Harbor Freight 8" air mover fan with a 10' duct venting hose. I wired it up to turn on inside, I also used two 4' LED lights from Cosco. They are really bright.

Name:	20180210_144428.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	545585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180210_144428.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	545585

I also bought the welding curtain from HF. I used a 1" PVC electrical conduit as the hanger for the curtain.

Name:	20180210_160955.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	545593

I mounted the plazma cutter at the top side of the booth. So it would be out of the way.

Name:	20180212_105533.jpg 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	545601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180212_105533.jpg 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	545601

I took advantage of the walls to hang my levels and other items.

Name:	20180212_105546.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	545609

Now I can weld in the garage and not get the wife fumed out, not to mention myself.
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 24 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Excellent, also a great way to contain the mess.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    I like it. I think that will work out very well!
    Bubber, BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    JD 2520, 200cx loader, I-Match Quick Hitch, Ballast box, Kens Bolt on Hooks, Homebuilt 42"Pallet Forks, Temp gauge installed, Edge Tamers, Work lights

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks
    That looks nice. I need to do something like that. One of my issues to deal with is work light.
    BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    Not to be the fire marshal here, but you may want to give a little more thought to "If I were a spark, where could I hide?". My uncle burned down his shed with a welding spark that found its way into a cardboard box under the welding table and the fire started about 2 hours later. Details like caulking between the bench top and backer board are important. Or what happens to sparks up over the top. I also practice (at work and home) not welding or grinding right up until I leave the shop. I like to hang around for a bit just to make sure the fires are out. When leaving the shop, I turn off the lights and scan the area for glowing. Generally, I am welding in a drywall enclosed shop that is pretty fire resistant but occasionally I will get my wife or neighbor over for fire watch.
    mjncad, Tomfive, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grandpajay For This Useful Post:

mjncad (02-13-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Nice work.

Also, what Jay stated. If it were mine, it would be lined and sealed with a non flammable material. Keep a water hose, or a bucket of water nearby, and also a updated fire extinguisher(or two).
    mjncad, BigJim55, Marlin and 1 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    Not to be the fire marshal here, but you may want to give a little more thought to "If I were a spark, where could I hide?". My uncle burned down his shed with a welding spark that found its way into a cardboard box under the welding table and the fire started about 2 hours later. Details like caulking between the bench top and backer board are important. Or what happens to sparks up over the top. I also practice (at work and home) not welding or grinding right up until I leave the shop. I like to hang around for a bit just to make sure the fires are out. When leaving the shop, I turn off the lights and scan the area for glowing. Generally, I am welding in a drywall enclosed shop that is pretty fire resistant but occasionally I will get my wife or neighbor over for fire watch.
    Agreed on both of your recommendations. I have two fire extinguishers in the shop at all times. The panel you see on both sides are firewall material you use for behind woodstoves. It is like a concrete material bought in small panels from Home depot. All cracks have been sealed except the ones on the side of the table. I am going to use mortar compound to seal that area. As for the air plenum vents I am going to line those holes with stainless steel mesh, to retard any sparks that may enter that area.

I never contemplated a bucket of water, but I will add that to my arsenal of fire fighting equipment. Thanks for the tips, I to am always afraid of fire in the garage. I usually do my welding outside and do not do a lot of welding. But when I do and the weather just does not cooperate this will be my go to place.

I started this project because I was in the garage last winter using the plazma cutter and noticed that the garage filled out with smoke so bad wife started coughing. I stopped, opened both bay doors and turned the fane on. Weather was bad, temps in the teens with wind. I decided right then to fix the problem.
    mark02tj, Marlin, ctrider and 2 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Nice setup!
    Marlin likes this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    Agreed on both of your recommendations. I have two fire extinguishers in the shop at all times. The panel you see on both sides are firewall material you use for behind woodstoves. It is like a concrete material bought in small panels from Home depot. All cracks have been sealed except the ones on the side of the table. I am going to use mortar compound to seal that area. As for the air plenum vents I am going to line those holes with stainless steel mesh, to retard any sparks that may enter that area.

I never contemplated a bucket of water, but I will add that to my arsenal of fire fighting equipment. Thanks for the tips, I to am always afraid of fire in the garage. I usually do my welding outside and do not do a lot of welding. But when I do and the weather just does not cooperate this will be my go to place.

I started this project because I was in the garage last winter using the plazma cutter and noticed that the garage filled out with smoke so bad wife started coughing. I stopped, opened both bay doors and turned the fane on. Weather was bad, temps in the teens with wind. I decided right then to fix the problem.
    Good reminder for me of many of the possible dangers associated with welding inside . . . thanks!
    Last edited by Marlin; 02-13-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks
    As an amateur welder, I love that you have a dedicated space to work. As a firefighter, I'm terrified of the use of combustibles in the construction.

Good points have already been made, and you seem to be listening, so good on you. My welding area is in an outbuilding, too. I lined the entire room I weld in with pole barn steel, and I have a wifi camera in there that I check like a crazy person periodically after I weld.
    nomorr1 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements