Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Mig shielding gas

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks

Mig shielding gas

I went an got myself a new to me mig welder.

Now, in an effort to keep my wallet moth free itís time to buy a bottle and get some shielding gas. Thatís about the extent of my knowledge. From minimal research Iíve done online a general list of weld quality is below starting at worst getting to best.

Self shielding flux core
    Pure CO2
    Pure Ar
    Ar/CO2. 75%/25%

Tank prices Iíve looked at are $150-200 for either a 80cf gas bottle, or 20lb CO2 bottle.

Without verifying Iíve seen that price goes up along with general quality following the same list above.

Pure CO2, is cheapest and lasts much longer then the others.

Iím leaning towards pure CO2, as Iím a hobbiest only. Is that a reasonable choice or would I be just as well off with self shielding flux core? If thatís the case Iíd probably rather go Ar.

How long will 80cf last? Some estimates were only 4-5 hours. Iíd probably end up with 2 tanks if thatís the case as I hate pausing a project because I ran out of supplies, and the shop is closed for the weekend.
    Gizmo2, ddinham, flyweight and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Very Nice I am blue with envy...
    rydplrs and Herminator like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    Very Nice I am blue with envy...
    Thanks. Iím not sure how I fell into it really, but I traded my drone for it. They were similar cost initially. Someone stopped by for an engine last night and saw it. They were impressed, the line I remember clearest was, Iíve only got to try one once, and it was the nicest welder Iíve ever used.
    Drifterbike likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    I went an got myself a new to me mig welder.

Now, in an effort to keep my wallet moth free itís time to buy a bottle and get some shielding gas. Thatís about the extent of my knowledge. From minimal research Iíve done online a general list of weld quality is below starting at worst getting to best.

Self shielding flux core
    Pure CO2
    Pure Ar
    Ar/CO2. 75%/25%

Tank prices Iíve looked at are $150-200 for either a 80cf gas bottle, or 20lb CO2 bottle.

Without verifying Iíve seen that price goes up along with general quality following the same list above.

Pure CO2, is cheapest and lasts much longer then the others.

Iím leaning towards pure CO2, as Iím a hobbiest only. Is that a reasonable choice or would I be just as well off with self shielding flux core? If thatís the case Iíd probably rather go Ar.

How long will 80cf last? Some estimates were only 4-5 hours. Iíd probably end up with 2 tanks if thatís the case as I hate pausing a project because I ran out of supplies, and the shop is closed for the weekend.
    Self shielding flux core
    Pure CO2 - Can be used 100% on mild steel but it doesn't do a great job of controlling splatter. As a hobbyest "your words", there is nothing wrong with pure CO2.
    Pure argon - Used at 100% to weld non-ferrous metals like aluminum
    Ar/CO2. 75%/25% - is usually called "steel mix". This is the best mix for welding steel. Allows for good penetration, flat welds and controls splatter. This mix will create the best looking and highest quality welds on steel. This is what I used on my mig.

If you are welding at a regulator setting of 15 - 20 cu/ft/hr., you will get 4 - 5 hours of steady welding on an 80 cu./ft. bottle. Now, 4 - 5 hours of continual welding is allot of welding.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike†(05-14-2018), langeruds†(05-18-2018), rydplrs†(05-14-2018), TheOtherChris†(05-26-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Can I ask what mix gas actually costs?

Iím guessing the gas only flows when the trigger is pulled? I saw comments about the use during breaks but got the feeling those were tig users.

9. Top | #6
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    Can I ask what mix gas actually costs?

Iím guessing the gas only flows when the trigger is pulled? I saw comments about the use during breaks but got the feeling those were tig users.

Go with 75/25. Gas is only released when you pull the trigger. Gas is the cheap part, it's the bottle that costs up front. 80cf bottle is more than enough for the occasion welder. Plus with a smaller bottle it's easier for one person to move around or transport to get filled.
    glc, rydplrs, johncanfield and 1 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    I just started welding again. I am using C25 (Ar/CO2. 75%/25%) and I paid $220 for a 120 cf bottle. They said refills would be about $25.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ml#post2575426
    Gizmo2, rydplrs and Jim Timber like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    80 cf is the largest I see online at Matheson as purchasable. Iím definitely not interested in renting. The 80cf lists at 37Ē tall with the cap installed. Thatís $170. Itís definitely not too tall or big to manage. Matheson is 2 miles away, and Iím not aware of any other options remotely local.

$25 in a long day of welding wonít be too bad, I wonít have long days of it.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 AM
    Thanks
    75/25 is the way to go for MIG welding. The gas only comes out when you pull the trigger. See if your welder has pre and post flow settings, that will delay/extend the gas purge. You want your puddle shielded when it is still molten liquid to prevent impurities. You don't really need preflow but a few seconds of post flow is a good practice.

100% argon is for TIG welding. Argon is good for mild steel, aluminum, stainless most common metals people will encounter. You CAN use 75/25 for TIG welding steels but you will have more impurities in your weld.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    glc, rydplrs and johncanfield like this.

13. Top | #10
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,584 Posts
    C25 is what you want. Itís the best all around mix for the welding youíll be doing.

Make sure to either buy a ďnakedĒ bottle, as in no neck ring stamp, or be super friendly with your local welding supply shop. Bottles can end up being the most time consuming ridiculous thing to deal with when they say ďnope, we canít fill those here or trade them in.Ē Itís all a rouse to get you to rent. Theyíll claim liability and all, but whatever. Fill my bottle dammit.
    Gizmo2, rydplrs, Ray_PA and 3 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast