What's the best method for welding thin material to thick material?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: What's the best method for welding thin material to thick material?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,213 Posts

What's the best method for welding thin material to thick material?

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. What is the best technique for welding thin steel to thick steel?

I have a 120V Hobart Handler 140 MIG (flux core) machine and a 250A DC stick welder but I tend to use the stick machine more often. I am completely self taught and do "ok" but needless to say I am a much better grinder than I am a welder. :-)

I always struggle when I have to join a thin piece of steel to a thicker piece of steel. If I set the amperage to get good penetration on the thick material then it wants to burn through the thin material. If I use lower amperage so I don't burn through the thin material then I don't get good penetration on the thicker material.

Any words on wisdom?
    mjncad likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Your weld is only as strong at the weakest piece of steel. So you weld for the thickness of the thinner material and that’s the best that joint can be.

You can always add a doubler or even a gusset to add strength if needed.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 4 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,944 Times in 2,907 Posts
    Favor the hell out of the thick piece. But I've always found it hard to make a good looking weld.
    etcallhome, arlen, jgayman and 2 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Your weld is only as strong at the weakest piece of steel. So you weld for the thickness of the thinner material and that’s the best that joint can be.
    I agree

Worked in a welding shop in my previous life . . . that is what we did.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 3 others like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    If you have the space, overlap the two pieces of metal . . . that way you get room for two good welds, one on each side . . . also a very much stronger weld
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 3 others like this.

JD Tractor aka Bucky

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste View Post
    If you have the space, overlap the two pieces of metal . . . that way you get room for two good welds, one on each side . . . also a very much stronger weld
    I would say that most of the time I'm joining thin to thick the two pieces are overlapped. One of my recent projects was welding some 1/8" brackets onto a hand dolly. 1/8" was what I had on hand. The tubing on the hand dolly was very thin and was quite difficult to get any penetration on the 1/8" flats without burning through the steel tubing.

I was also recently making a steel lid for a septic tank. I needed to weld little sections of 1/8" angle to the 1/2" steel lid to act as guides for the riser. In order to get any penetration on the 1/2" plate it was tough not to completely melt sections of those 1/8" pieces of angle. Fortunately it didn't have to look pretty or be super strong and the melted metal stuck just as good as rod filler. :-) But still... it would be nice to get a good technique down.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2 and Herminator like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Everyone has said it already, but you should be at the settings for the thinner steel.
    Preheating the thicker steel may also help with penetration.

One thing I found is that I can, with practice, weld with settings for thicker steel and sort of run the weld puddle into the thinner metal. Overlapping joints wouldnt work to well doing that, unless you had a bead already laid before trying to join, but I used to do this often on my tiller brackets.
    3/16" square tube, with an 1/8" or thinner end cap. When I was making a bunch of them, I could get them looking awesome. Without practice, it takes a bit of time to get it to work for me again.
    If you arent careful doing this, the end result is the same, burn through.

One more thing I was told long ago when I first started welding:
    Its metal. If you goof it up, you can always add more.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 2 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Thanks
    Heavily concentrating on the thicker material, then quickly taking the puddle to the thinner metal is the best bet, as others have said. MIG is also going to be the easier of the methods available to you. I wouldn't necessarily lower my settings all the way to the thinner materials settings, but I would try to preheat the thicker and also stitch weld it. Stitching to me means two things in this application, spacing welds out (like a three inch weld every six inches) and also taking breaks between welds to let the thinner material cool back down. If you need a continuous bead, you can always stitch until you have one. Most times, you don't need a full length weld in a situation where you're not holding fluid.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 4 others like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I would say that most of the time I'm joining thin to thick the two pieces are overlapped. One of my recent projects was welding some 1/8" brackets onto a hand dolly. 1/8" was what I had on hand. The tubing on the hand dolly was very thin and was quite difficult to get any penetration on the 1/8" flats without burning through the steel tubing.
    Try using smaller welding rods and less heat and slower . . . can better control your weld and get sufficient penetration on both.
    etcallhome, jgayman and Herminator like this.

JD Tractor aka Bucky

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
    Heavily concentrating on the thicker material, then quickly taking the puddle to the thinner metal is the best bet, as others have said. MIG is also going to be the easier of the methods available to you. I wouldn't necessarily lower my settings all the way to the thinner materials settings, but I would try to preheat the thicker and also stitch weld it. Stitching to me means two things in this application, spacing welds out (like a three inch weld every six inches) and also taking breaks between welds to let the thinner material cool back down. If you need a continuous bead, you can always stitch until you have one. Most times, you don't need a full length weld in a situation where you're not holding fluid.
    I will try that next time. I really couldn't do much stitching as the joint was only 1 1/2" long. Guess I could have done a series of tacks.
    etcallhome, hodge and Herminator like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast