Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johndeerefarmer

Thread: small oxyfuel rig for my second shop

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks

small oxyfuel rig for my second shop

I bought some land for a vacation home in Colorado and it come with a nice 40'x40' shop so I am equipping it for when I am there. For now that is about 5 weeks a year but in a few years will be 4 or 5 months. The main things I will be repairing will be a Polaris Sxs, Polaris 4wheeler, Deere 320G skid steer, my trailer, etc.

I just bought a Hobart 210 Mig welder and a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 plasma for this shop. I took my old Black and Decker Industrial chop saw as well as a set of DeWalt cordless tools so I am pretty well setup except for an oxyfuel rig. I don't want a large one just something for when I occasionally need to heat and bend something. Between the DeWalt cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel, the Dewalt metal cutting circular saw and the plasma I don't expect to need a cutting torch. What kind of a small oxyfuel rig do you recommend?
    I was thinking maybe a "B" bottle acetylene tank and a 40 cubic ft oxygen bottle? Or maybe the Harris Port-A-Torch? How many minutes of use do you think I could get out of the Port-A-Torch if I was heating up 1/4" steel to straighten or bend it?

Thanks
    BigJim55 likes this.
    6105R with H340 loader with bucket, bale spike and pallet forks
    329E Compact Track loader
    320G skid steer
    1958 Deere 620

If you are interested here is my blog on restoring my '58 John Deere 620 https://antiquetractorblogger.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Since I got no responses I came to my own conclusion.

I decided to go with propane and oxygen. I ordered a Victor Medalist 250 LP Med. Duty Outfit. Today I went to my LWS to get a 80 cubic ft oxygen cylinder. It was $253 to buy it and another $25 to fill it. I went around back to pick one up and they were out. They gave me a 125 cubic ft instead!
    320G skid steer
    1958 Deere 620

If you are interested here is my blog on restoring my '58 John Deere 620 https://antiquetractorblogger.blogspot.com/

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    Sorry, I did not see this posting prior to today. I have a mini torch set similar to the pic below. I have only used it once in the 2-3 years that I have had it and that was recently to cut out a grade 8 bolt that was not going to come out any other way. Used up over half of the acetylene with that one use. So I would say it is good for only spot usage, which is all I really need. I need to see what I can do about having a spare tank available and what it is going to cost me to fill this one. The bad part is I went to a farm auction close to me shortly after I bought it and could have gotten a full size set for less money, but it was well used and I don't know how much was in the tanks.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mni torch.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	645324
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    Sorry, I did not see this posting prior to today. I have a mini torch set similar to the pic below. I have only used it once in the 2-3 years that I have had it and that was recently to cut out a grade 8 bolt that was not going to come out any other way. Used up over half of the acetylene with that one use. So I would say it is good for only spot usage, which is all I really need. I need to see what I can do about having a spare tank available and what it is going to cost me to fill this one. The bad part is I went to a farm auction close to me shortly after I bought it and could have gotten a full size set for less money, but it was well used and I don't know how much was in the tanks.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mni torch.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	645324
    Thanks! That would have been convenient because it's light and portable but running out too quickly's not good when the nearest welding supply is a half a day car trip
    320G skid steer
    1958 Deere 620

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    Thanks! That would have been convenient because it's light and portable but running out too quickly's not good when the nearest welding supply is a half a day car trip

I just got off the phone with Airgas and they said a full cylinder for a spare would cost a little over $100. $26.55 to fill it. I probably will go that route so I have a spare since they are so small. Actually, they said they would exchange, rather than fill.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements