Metal/tube bending with tractor
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Metal/tube bending with tractor

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-18-2019 @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Tell me if I'm nuts:-D. I have been considering getting a metal tube bender to make fenders for my Jeep, I also realized recently I need a rock bucket. No one around me has one to borrow or rent; only buy new. They are way too expensive to buy, $800 for the redline 54" is about the only one that seems decent. So I've fallen back on just making a rock bucket. I saw that one member made one by bending 1 1/8" round stock. This got me to thinking about buying a bender again, but then I got another idea...I have a tractor...with hydraulics. Could I just make an adapter that mounts to the bucket or one of the bucket mount attachments to bend metal with?

Is this a good idea? Bad idea?

Has anyone tried this before?

Another idea is just use the force of the bucket to press down on the metal between some stacked 2x4s or some sort of jig? Otherwise maybe clamp a jig on the underside of the loader arm and bucket and just curl it back?

Any other ideas? Should I just get a remote ram and use the tractor hydraulics? Might be cheaper to just get an air over hydraulic setup?

Thanks for reading my ramblings...😁
    Last edited by rcguymike; 10-14-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    mjncad, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    --Used extensively: 1022, 3032e
    --"renting" to own: 1023e, FEL, landscape rake, custom "heavy hitch", ranchex quick'tach, custom made rock bucket

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Robnik and Herminator like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    Harbor Freight sells a pipe bender for $169 that would probably work better and be cheaper than anything you could make and attach to your tractor. It would be cool if you made something, but bending metal is almost always about pressure, not volume. I don't think the tractor's flow would be any advantage because a bottle jack would be far more convenient and controllable.

I've used the loader bucket on a tractor to straighten or bend stuff, but if you're setting up to bend 20 of something and want them reasonably close to similar, that's not the road I'd go down.
    mjncad, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    The tractor cylinders are too small,,,
    typical benders use higher pressures than the tractor offers,,,
    mjncad, Robnik, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
    Harbor Freight sells a pipe bender for $169 that would probably work better and be cheaper than anything you could make and attach to your tractor. It would be cool if you made something, but bending metal is almost always about pressure, not volume. I don't think the tractor's flow would be any advantage because a bottle jack would be far more convenient and controllable.

I've used the loader bucket on a tractor to straighten or bend stuff, but if you're setting up to bend 20 of something and want them reasonably close to similar, that's not the road I'd go down.
    We live up north in the UP of Mi and we're tight on funds so I'm thinking of trying to do things for free-ish...lol if possible. We have a small TSC but that's it within 100ish miles. We buy most everything on Amazon.

The roll back force of the bucket seems strong enough to be used to bend anything I'd want to...it picks up the entire tractor, with fluid filled tires and a landscape rack on back... that's gotta be a few tons of force?

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    The tractor cylinders are too small,,,
    typical benders use higher pressures than the tractor offers,,,[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/flag_of_truce.gif[/IMG]
    Lol not trying to bend big stuff just stuff I'd otherwise bend with a torch and vise😁

Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by rcguymike; 10-14-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    --"renting" to own: 1023e, FEL, landscape rake, custom "heavy hitch", ranchex quick'tach, custom made rock bucket

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rcguymike View Post
    We live up north in the UP of Mi and we're tight on funds so I'm thinking of try to do things for free-ish...lol if possible. We have a small TSC but that's it within 100ish miles. We buy most everything on Amazon.

The roll back force of the bucket seems strong enough to be used to bend anything I'd want to...it picks up the entire tractor, with fluid filled tires and a landscape rack on back... that's gotta be a few tons of force?

Lol not trying to bend big stuff just stuff I'd otherwise bend with a torch and vise😁

Thanks for the feedback!

Well I was going to suggest a torch and a vise but I suspected you have quite a few to do.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    I've seen guys make bending fixtures for their log splitters, my be an option if you have one.
    mjncad, Bubber, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I've seen guys make bending fixtures for their log splitters, my be an option if you have one.
    I like that idea. Thanks, I had no use for a log splitter until this very moment.
    Kennyd, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 AM
    Thanks
    Went to look and was not disappointed. This one even uses a Deere GT powerplant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km22LKhk8EU

mjncad, Kennyd, Gizmo2 and 4 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubber For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (10-16-2018), Gizmo2 (10-15-2018), Kennyd (10-14-2018), mjncad (10-15-2018)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Well I was going to suggest a torch and a vise but I suspected you have quite a few to do.
    If I have to I will😁, just thought this could be easier/faster...heck I could probably bend multiple at once using the bucket

Now there's an idea... would have to buy a log splitter first though...😂. I like that it could be multipurpose though.

Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    I like that idea.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/good2.gif[/IMG] Thanks, I had no use for a log splitter until this very moment.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    Went to look and was not disappointed. This one even uses a Deere GT powerplant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km22LKhk8EU
    Good find👍
    BigJim55 and CADplans like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast